Choosing Correct Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatertj

Hey,
I have been looking to get new frequencies programmed into my pro-2055 since i know have the programming cable and software but when i go to look up licenses for businesses or county frequencies, i always see more than just one frequency used. Can you guys help me on choosing the right ones because idk how to tell which ones are most active.

Here is a link to my city's fire department. How will i know which one to choose? ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KNIS282 - JUNCTION CITY, CITY OF - Frequencies Summary

Thanks for any help

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Two answers:

1. Go here for Geary County, Kansas: Geary County, Kansas (KS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

2. The "FB2" indicator is the repeater output. Listen to this frequency. The mobile unit dispatches at a smaller output (the "MO" frequencies) and with a shorter antenna than the "FB2" frequency. If you hear the "MO" (input) frequency, you are likely very close to the transmitting unit.

Also, the 45x.xxx frequencies are paired. That is 453.0375 is paired with 458.0375. Typically, the 453 frequency is the base unit and the 458 frequency is used by mobile units. Sometimes this 453 frequency may be repeated (and gets a "FB2" designation). Other times, it's used as a duplex frequency.

To be sure, check with answer #1.

Last edited:

skatertj

Ok, so if i'm looking at frequencies and they are "MO" for mobile, then i need to be close by to really receive them?

Ive been trying to find new frequencies to try and listen to because Riley and Geary county don't have many frequencies to listen too off of the RR page so, I'm trying to find how to choose new ones to program. Like off here, ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WNHV806 - MILLENNIUM RAIL INC - Frequencies Summary there are 2 FB frequencies so im trying to know which one to actually choose.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Good for you. That's the fun part of the hobby....searching and discovering new frequencies.

So, "FB" is a fixed base station. If the MO and FB frequencies are the same, then this is an example of simplex operation.

Don't forget air navigation, trains, federal, military (ground and aviation), ham radio, taxis, etc. Your FCC searches will get you the non-governmental agencies. Peruse the Kansas statewide frequencies (go to the Kansas state homepage in the Frequency Database).

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Also, milk the FCC listings. See the Output Power column? That's what the agency is licensed for, in terms of watts. The rule-of-thumb is 1 watt per mile, given flat terrain, etc. The taller the tower and the larger the Output Power equals greater coverage area (in square miles). There are fancy engineering equations for that, but use the 1:1 ratio and you'll be close enough. If the mobiles can only use 2 watts, you'll have to be close to hear them, for example, especially if they are inside a business.

skatertj

Ok, so if i were to program those two FB frequencies, would i be hearing the same thing or would they be different? Is it worth programming to frequencies for one business?

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Each frequency can be used for different purposes. Sometimes the agency gets an extra one, uses it for special events, extra traffic, etc. Only listening will tell.... For businesses, there may be a maintenance and security channel. For the Fire Department, they may use a dispatch or paging frequency and respond using a different one. The possibilities are endless.

What I use is a "mystery" bank in my scanners. It is for stuff I have not identified or have accidentally discovered. When I get bored, I scan that bank for awhile and learn what I want to keep, etc.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Now that you know, report back. When you discover new frequencies, submit them to the database. That way, if I ever visit Geary County, I'll know what to program in my scanner :)

Also, check out the wiki for Railroad, Aviation, and other common frequencies. Don't forget to search !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.