CHP radios / Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Any corrolation between these antennas and the radios in use..?

IMG_0354-A_zps82c1d9b2.jpg

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would hope that they're not just for decoration. The antenna with the large loading coil in the center is obviously the main low band antenna. The hockey puck is GPS. I'm curious about the mag mount with the cable stretched across the roof. The trunk lip mount is probably for 460 channels. The antenna in front of the GPS is probably for the 700Mhz extender. Of the other two, one could be for a 150Mhz extender. There could also be a scanner antenna. The are also MDT's that would need an antenna.

Those are my best guesses.

kma371

QRT
I would hope that they're not just for decoration. The antenna with the large loading coil in the center is obviously the main low band antenna. The hockey puck is GPS. I'm curious about the mag mount with the cable stretched across the roof. The trunk lip mount is probably for 460 channels. The antenna in front of the GPS is probably for the 700Mhz extender. Of the other two, one could be for a 150Mhz extender. There could also be a scanner antenna. The are also MDT's that would need an antenna.

Those are my best guesses.

I think the MDT's CHP uses run off cellular networks so it should be just some type of aircard in the laptop.

scottyhetzel

What CHP station area ? The magnetic antenna could be for local allied agencies, The large one with the spring is the VHF low dispatch antenna, the one with the spring on the left is a VHF spring loaded, one of the short ones on the trunk is probably the new 700 MHz extender....the one one the very back of the roof is probably the old VHF extender... The hockey puck is the gps .

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
This is CHP area 105

Besides the small antenna (3 or 4 inches) on the trunk, there is an identical one on the roof in front of the light bar.

I had my car break down Friday afternoon, and talked with a 105 - 50 series unit...95454 is a residence post (as is Ft Bragg) where the officers are assigned their own cars & take their cars home at night. The car I saw Friday is a 2009 P71, with 60,000 miles on it.

The officer said he thinks they still use VHF-High for their extenders in our mountainous area (154.904) I didn't have my scanner with me so I can't confirm...thinks new radios will be EF Johnson

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The flat puck antennas is for AT&T Wireless data for their computers, at least that was the carrier they were using a few years ago.
I talked with an AT&T engineer a few years back, and it was easier/faster to use a cellular carrier than try and build a dedicated MDT network.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
They have the following:

Lowband baseloaded For CHP kenwood lowband TK-690
Highband For Midland VHF analog/p25 mobile radio
UHF For Kenwood UHF analog/P25 mobile radio
700/800 For Motorola 700/800 analog/P25/Trunking mobile radio
700 For Pyramid 700mhz P25 extender
Cell-puck For mobile date
Scan Antenna For scanner (some use a vhf antenna others uhf)

Status
Not open for further replies.