• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Church security radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ7D

I'm looking for a solid radio for a church security team. We've used the gamut of GMRS and the typical Baofeng-type radios as well as Zello. All have their benefits, but also their limitations. I think UHF radios/frequencies would be the best given the constraints of the buildings within which we work (lots of brick, other signals including WiFi, etc..).

The ICOM IC-F4001 is a consideration, but I'd welcome other suggestions. Not all security members are hams, so these would have to be simple to use and reliable.

KQ7D

Likely GMRS as I don’t think many would get licensed. Only a few of us are.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
The Motorola DTR series could be an option.
Simple to operate, private one-to-one calls or general calls and also licence-free, they operate in the 900MHz band and use spread spectrum technology: impossible to listen to / interfere with, with generally available technology.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Likely GMRS as I don’t think many would get licensed. Only a few of us are.
I was thinking a business license or some radio shop’s leased system where you would be less likely to get interfered with (intentionally or unintentionally) by other local GMRS users. That concern would be partially dependent on your location in relation to busy GMRS areas, the number of security personnel, the square footage of the area that you need to cover inside and out, etc. Do you have rock solid comms now in all locations in the 462-467 MHz range with GMRS or would a repeater help? Not sure how much you all have done already in system design for reliable comms throughout your campus.

KQ7D

Can you elaborate on getting a Part 90 license for the church? Would this cover everyone?

nd5y

Can you elaborate on getting a Part 90 license for the church? Would this cover everyone?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I believe the Part 90.35 Industrial Business Radio Pool offers a group of frequencies for low-power (less than 2 watts) use that do not require frequency coordination. I would think 2 watts should be sufficient for Church Security Operations.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
yes it would cover anyone using your church's own programmed radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

GMRS requires that each family has a GMRS license. If they won't get their licenses, then your church would be using GMRS frequencies against FCC rules. Probably not a good idea. A church or other non-profit is not exempt from the FCC rules under any circumstances.

MURS does not require applying for an FCC license, it's 'license by rule', which means that as long as —everyone— is following the FCC rules for MURS, then they can legally use it. However, it's VHF and limited to 2 watts. Probably not the best choice for use inside a building. You could try testing VHF on 2 meters since you have your ham license. Ritron makes some solid MURS radios. NT Series, MURS/VHF/UHF, Ritron 2-Way Radios You would need to order the NT-152 in the MURS variant. These would be legal.

Coordinating a UHF frequency would be the correct way to do this. You would need to contact an FCC authorized frequency coordinator and tell them what your need is. They would identify a suitable UHF frequency and process the license. With that license, the team could use the UHF frequency the church is licensed for. However, FCC rules —require— using a properly type accepted UHF radio. Not all of the Cheap Chinese Radios meet those requirements. Anyway, cheap Chinese radios are not going to perform as well as a good quality radio. Kenwood NX-1300 hand held radios would be my recommendation if you want something that works well, is legal, and will last more than a few months.
FCC Licensing - RadioSoft <— they will take care of all the details, including submitting the correct paperwork to the FCC. The process is different than hobby radio services, so enlisting the help of a professional will save you a lot of headaches and possible legal issues.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar request a few weeks ago and after using similar radios for years with zero problems I recommended these Retivis RT22 radios. They are very rugged, battery life is way longer than I expected and you can't get any simpler to use plus their down to about $12.50 each this week and replacement batteries are cheap.

The FRS freqs are hard coded but you can change the PL/DPL codes using a cheap Baofeng programming cable and free software. I loaded up all the channels with random DPL codes which are very unlikely to be encountered by other bubble pack radios. These radios have no menus, no squelch knob, just volume and channel plus it announces what channel its on at power up and again if you accidentally change one of the 16 channels. A church full of volunteers with no radio experience needs simple fool proof radios and this meets that criteria. A local church here bought six radios and they sell a six slot desk charger for them which made a nice package.

Or this is cheap as a package:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
If you go the licensed route, be sure to license some in-band itinerants too if your group likes to travel out of area for events. Your license would not cover using a coordinated frequency outside the coordinated area. Adding these to an existing application wouldn't incur extra fees done at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.