Civillian use of radar in a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

shaggy2dope said:
I personally use a Stalker DSR 2X KA band radar unit with dual antennas. The unit costs around $3,500 new and if you are like me and don't know which way you want to mount the antennas you can get all of the variations of mounts plus the extra remote control and you are pushing $4,000. Have fun.

Good God man! Wouldn't it be easier just to drive the speed limit? Or if you have to speed, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the fines?

SCPD

QRT
One other thing. I live in Texas and I have a copy of the email that DPS sent me regarding the use of radar transmitters in my vehicle at all times and I also keep a copy of my FCC license in the vehicle too. Although the state has absolutely no authority to do anything about unlicensed operation of a radar unit, other than filing a complaint with the FCC, I keep these things with me just to entertain any LEO who thinks he is a know-it-all. Nothing like an email from DPS headquarters in Austin saying I can have the damn thing. Gotta love it.

SCPD

QRT
I am a confirmed techno junkie. I love this kind of stuff. I love pissing off people with radar detectors. And money is of no use if you can not make yourself or someone happy.

MacombMonitor

shaggy2dope said:
Although the state has absolutely no authority to do anything about unlicensed operation of a radar unit, other than filing a complaint with the FCC.

Are you certain that is still the case? I'm pretty sure I read within the last year, or so that even the local police can now get involved in enforcement of FCC rules, and regulations.

SCPD

QRT
True. But while I don't have it right in front of me, the regs basically give local cops the authority to act against those worthless jackasses who use mega watts on their Cb's who cause interference to TV's, radios and the like. There may be other instances of authority but it is a very narrow window in which they may operate and they are not allowed to create their own rules to fit their needs. Basically I would say they would just write a ticket and then cry to the FCC like little babies because Mr. CB Rambo was wiping out Joe Blows TV during the super bowl. Whoopee....

spadoinkle

I'm quite pleased with the input in this thread, thanks very much to everyone.

Shaggy2dope: would you be willing to post some more information about how to get the radar license? I'm digging through title 47 section 90 but not yet finding what I need. All I can find in other searches is a reference to the ship radar endorsement of a marine radio license which doesn't seem to be what I'm really looking for. I've got a background in electronics and just got my ham technicians class license with 5 whole evenings of study, I'm not worried about the test if I could only find it.

Title 47 section 90: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/47cfr90_05.html

SCPD

QRT
There is no test. Merely filling out the application and puking $150. When I get a chance to sit down without the need for sleep I will try to steer you in the right direction. I went ahead and got licensed for the three major bands that police radar operates on so I have everything covered. Does not cost any more. But be prepared to wait 9 months to a year for all of it to get done. It goes through several stages and it is the federal government after all.

SCPD

QRT
One last thing before I call it quits tonight. Go to www.fcc.gov and click on the fcc registration number link on the left side of the page and get a frn number. You will need it to do business with them.

spadoinkle

Thanks, you can email me through the board or post here, whatever suits you. No problem on the wait it's like what the t-shirt says: "21 and legally able to do what I've been doing since I was 15".

z96cobra

MacombMonitor said:
Good God man! Wouldn't it be easier just to drive the speed limit? Or if you have to speed, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the fines?

Ummm... a radar "gun" is not a detector, and therefore does not help you "speed".

CLTX11

MacombMonitor said:
It might if it were used to jam, or confuse the other device.

How would a GUN help jam another cops radar?

There is only a few select devices out there to jam a LEOS radar. Trust me he would know if they are recieveing some crazy readings. The Lasers on other hand is a diff story, they arent under the FCC.

D

DaveNF2G

The only other thing I'll say about the general content of this thread is this:

There are several people here making assumptions about what is or isn't regulated and what the rules should be, apparently based on their own view of how they would like the world to work. Several of these assumptions are demonstrably wrong.

Before obtaining radar equipment or using it or doing any other potentially questionable thing, one should always read the relevant rules for themselves. In matters that might be open to interpretation, it is always best to consult someone who knows what they are talking about - and that does not mean posting questions on hobbyist bulletin boards.

spadoinkle

As for myself, I asked my question here as a starting point, I don't intend for it to be the final answer; "But officer - radioreference.com said I could use radar! Here's a printout of the forum!". Once I find the licensing information I expect to learn more about what is legal and what isn't concerning a "personal radar". Before yesterday I didn't even know there was a specific license I could obtain for it's use, now I know and can at least *try* to obtain it. Your concern is appreciated though.

Last edited:

Microwavemike

Radar

Look........ Having a radar gun on the same band WILL NOT jam another radar
on the same band. The radar Doppler shift works in the low audio frequency range.
That would mean that your radar would have to be within say 10 KHZ in frequency
on the target radar gun. If you have ever set the frequency of a Gunn oscillator in the
microwave range it is very difficult to move that mechanical tuning screw and get
the frequency to the exact setting, say 24.150 Ghz. The frequency counter will jitter all
over the place under 100KHZ.
Also both your radar and the target radar will drift with changes in temperature out of
Jamming range.
You can jam a FM Doppler radar, but it would cost lots of $$$ for active jamming.
Also the price goes up when you are dealing with higher frequencies.
Where do you start..10.650 Ghz, 24.150 Ghz, 34.8 Ghz…..X,K,Ka bands.

Heck , go price out a frequency counter for 34 Ghz. How about a spectrum analyzer, or
Even a power meter. Those are the basic tools needed just to start on this project.

If you want to use a radar gun as a Fancy speedometer, go ahead. If you think it is going to jam police radar, then get ready to PAY for your ticket.

mm

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
MacombMonitor said:
Radio Shack is marketing the Bushnell Speedster Speed Gun. Cat No: 63-1233 @ $74.97. No mention of any license required.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&cp=&productId=2131206&origkw=radar+gun&kw=radar+gun&tab=summary

I also found this:

[SIZE=+1]Radar FCC License [/SIZE]
Microwave traffic radars used in the United States are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). FCC Rules and Regulations, Part 15, 20, and 90 cover Radiolocation Services (traffic radars) requirements. The FCC specifics technical standards such as operating frequency, bandwidth, power density, etc. The FCC Rules do NOT cover the CALIBRATION of radar units, radar ACCURACY, or OPERATOR capability requirements.
  • LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
  • State or local government agencies (including police) that have an FCC license for a communication system (Public Safety Radio Services) are not required to have a separate FCC license for traffic radar under part 90 of FCC rules.
  • Radar units may also be used under Part 90 [SIZE=-1](other appropriate FCC radio license required)[/SIZE] by non-public safety entities such as professional baseball teams, tennis clubs, automobile and boat racing organizations, private transportation firms, railroads, etc., to measure the speed of objects or vehicles.
  • Many public safety agencies operate unattended, low-power, transmit-only radar units under Part 15 of FCC Rules.
  • Non-public safety users are required to obtain a Part 90 license. [SIZE=-2]Source: FCC Public Notice -- FCC Regulates Radar Transmitters, but not Radar Detectors, DA 96-2040, 1996 DEC 9[/SIZE]
SUMMARY: Police do not need an FCC license to operate traffic radar (if their radios are licensed); however other state, local, or agency requirements may apply.

Link to source: http://copradar.com/preview/chapt7/ch7d2.html

However, SPORTS radar guns fall under FCC Part 15 rules, and the owners of those guns DO NOT need a license. If they did, the manufacturers would be required to provide information regarding licensing with the product (such as with GMRS radios, etc) and they do not. I know this all to be a fact since I owned a Bushnell gun.

YFZBOB

Laser Range finders work great too! We use Range Finders in conjuction with our Trimble GPS system, just point and click at a location to get the waypoint just as if you actually were standing there. I confirmed this by using my personal Radar/Laser detector. That explains why people have been slowing down in our work area. LOL!!!

Last edited:

spadoinkle

mm, I'm not sure who that is addressed to... At no point have I ever stated that I want or intend to 'jam' police radar in this thread. I have zero interest in interfering with police radar - I drive the speed limit. What I am is a geek and having my own radar is:

A) Funny
B) Educational
C) A conversation piece
D) Fun to mess with speeders with radar detectors

That being said, there where other posters that seemed to be under the impression that having your own radar could 'jam' another radar device. Obviously even if it was possible it's illegal and not my intention. Besides, this thing isn't exactly 'stealthy'. It's an old X-band unit with a big huge antenna on the dash that can be easily seen 100' away.

http://www.mphindustries.com/products_home/moving_k-55.html

drew6553

the security team i work for runs radar in patrol treucks in a private town down here in NC i dunno if we have a liscense or not. and we do not use radios only cell phones. i think i'm going to look into this

Microwavemike

Radar J

SPADOINKLE:
The information I provided was for all who read this interesting thread.
It was directed, in a way, at the people like CLTX11, not you or others
Who experiment with microwave radars. I, like you, am a techno Freak.
I also own several radars in all bands. In fact I am going to get my part 90
License for my radars. I don’t use them to terrorize owners of radar detectors,
But use the radar to know what my speed is and what speed other traffic is around me.
I just turn it on and switch between fore and aft antennas as needed. The antennas are hidden from view, either covered by cloth or behind a raydome.
I must admit, these new DSP based radars are FAST on target solutions.
I NEVER speed. It is just Too easy to get zapped either by radar or laser.

Just a note, I do have the test gear to work on radar up to 26 Ghz. I am working on the next step, 40 Ghz.

Enjoy microwaves……. Don’t look down the throat of your transmitting antenna.

mm

Status
Not open for further replies.