Cobra SR-15 handheld scanner - any info appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisn

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks,

I've just opened up my SR-15, which wasn't working, and found several capacitors have leaked amongst other things. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this scanner... mine did not come with any documentation and it seems very close to impossible to find anything online. Ideally a schematic / service manual, but *anything* would be great.

Thanks very much,
Chris

typesix

Your Cobra is the same as Uniden/Bearcat 70xlt, except for having 100 channels instead of 20 for the Uniden. Try finding info on the 70xlt or asking on the Uniden forum.

chrisn

Premium Subscriber
Hi Typesix! Thanks very much for that. I'd noticed they look virtually identical, but seen a couple of refs, including
... that have made me wonder. But I've just found a largeish Uniden chip on one board so yeah does sound like a channeled-up 70xlt. Will chase it up. Much appreciated!
Cheers,
Chris

dkf435

While the BC70XLT was carried by a lot of Uniden dealers the only place that I could find that carried the SR15 was Scanner World. It was a good radio, It had aircraft coverage where I do not think the BC70XLT did and the lack of easy battery changing when it went dead was a minus. Also the speaker was not the loudest but if you used an earphone it extended the run time. When the BC200XLT came out with the slide on battery I switched over to that for the easy battery changing

chrisn

Premium Subscriber
G'day dkf435,

Yeah that's true! Airband is there, whereas it's not in the BC70XLT.

I've just looked back through some of my ancient CB Action (ancient Australian radio mag) articles and found there were apparently two versions of the SR15, one included VHF Low-Band (30-50MHz or thereabouts) and the other had 60ish-80ish (VHF midband?) instead. From memory the latter was our local Oz version cos we had virtually no activity in 30-50...

Status
Not open for further replies.