Collin County 'Custom Trunking Table'

Status
Not open for further replies.

oben66

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded tables for Collin County Motorola Smartnet directly from Radio Reference to a BCD396XT using Freescan software. But, apparently I need to do something more. I don't receive any transmissions at all. I read somewhere about a 'custom trunking table' that might help. How do I locate the table and enter it into the scanner? Appreciate help on this, and on anything else I need to do. Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded tables for Collin County Motorola Smartnet directly from Radio Reference to a BCD396XT using Freescan software. But, apparently I need to do something more. I don't receive any transmissions at all. I read somewhere about a 'custom trunking table' that might help. How do I locate the table and enter it into the scanner? Appreciate help on this, and on anything else I need to do. Thanks
oben,
If you downloaded through FreeSCAN using the "import->Trunked system" option, and you're not hearing the system, then something could have gone wrong with the process. During the import, FreeSCAN should automatically set the correct table & system type for this system, import the site frequencies, and also get the talkgroups (or talkgroup categories) selected.

You should show the system type on the "site" page (where the frequencies are) as "Mot Custom/Reband Type II", and the correct table settings should already show below that. See screen shot below.

Make sure that you imported both the site, as well as the talkgroups, and that the system type did not accidentally get changed. Attached is a system file for Collin County that I just imported. It's "zipped", so you'll need to save it to your pc, then extract the FreeSCAN file with WinZip, or another file utility. I use the free 7Zip.

Once you have the 'Collin County TRS.996' file extracted, you can open it with FreeSCAN. You can also open a second FreeSCAN window and open your current file to compare how your file looks as compared to this one. See if they are the same in all respects- system type, custom table, etc. If you find a variance, correct it.

If both are identical, then you may not be receiving the control channel for the system. Manually hold on the Collin County system and step through the system frequencies. On one of them, you should hear a rumbling noise, which some have likened to an idling diesel engine. That's the control channel. If you are not hearing that on any of the frequencies, then you are not receiving the system. Which antenna are you using? The standard whip that came with the 396XT? On the 396XT that I carry with me, I use the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna. It does a much better job on the 700/800MHz trunked systems, while still acceptable reception on the Uhf, such as Dallas PD/FD, and most of the Vhf-high agencies that I also monitor.

Last edited:

oben66

Premium Subscriber
Thanks loads 'hiegtx'

After the comparison, it was clear that the 'System Band Plan' was incorrect. I didn't find how to change the plan in Freescan, but I manually entered the plan entries and immediately began to receive the transmissions. I really thank you for your assistance - I would never have figured it out on my own.
Thanks again.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks loads 'hiegtx'

After the comparison, it was clear that the 'System Band Plan' was incorrect. I didn't find how to change the plan in Freescan, but I manually entered the plan entries and immediately began to receive the transmissions. I really thank you for your assistance - I would never have figured it out on my own.
Thanks again.
You're welcome.

lwharmon

Premium Subscriber
File doesn't work on my 396XT

oben,
If you downloaded through FreeSCAN using the "import->Trunked system" option, and you're not hearing the system, then something could have gone wrong with the process. During the import, FreeSCAN should automatically set the correct table & system type for this system, import the site frequencies, and also get the talkgroups (or talkgroup categories) selected.

You should show the system type on the "site" page (where the frequencies are) as "Mot Custom/Reband Type II", and the correct table settings should already show below that. See screen shot below.

Make sure that you imported both the site, as well as the talkgroups, and that the system type did not accidentally get changed. Attached is a system file for Collin County that I just imported. It's "zipped", so you'll need to save it to your pc, then extract the FreeSCAN file with WinZip, or another file utility. I use the free 7Zip.

Once you have the 'Collin County TRS.996' file extracted, you can open it with FreeSCAN. You can also open a second FreeSCAN window and open your current file to compare how your file looks as compared to this one. See if they are the same in all respects- system type, custom table, etc. If you find a variance, correct it.

If both are identical, then you may not be receiving the control channel for the system. Manually hold on the Collin County system and step through the system frequencies. On one of them, you should hear a rumbling noise, which some have likened to an idling diesel engine. That's the control channel. If you are not hearing that on any of the frequencies, then you are not receiving the system. Which antenna are you using? The standard whip that came with the 396XT? On the 396XT that I carry with me, I use the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna. It does a much better job on the 700/800MHz trunked systems, while still acceptable reception on the Uhf, such as Dallas PD/FD, and most of the Vhf-high agencies that I also monitor.

I just imported your file using freescan, everything seemed to enter ok, but I'm getting nothing? I live in Carrollton, and I am using the antenna that came with the unit, maybe I am just too far away? I am not getting the rumble on any of the frequencies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just imported your file using freescan, everything seemed to enter ok, but I'm getting nothing? I live in Carrollton, and I am using the antenna that came with the unit, maybe I am just too far away? I am not getting the rumble on any of the frequencies.
Hi lw
If you're not getting a 'rumble' on any of the control channel frequencies, then you're not picking up enough signal for the scanner to "hear" the system.

Make sure that you don't have the squelch too high. Also, if you're using just the original stock antenna that came with the scanner, I'd suggest a change. For my 396XT, I use the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna. This will give you much better reception on the 800MHz trunked systems such as Collin County, Denton County, Mesquite, Garland, Plano, and others, the 700MHz systems that are starting to appear (see here), while still giving you decent reception on Uhf (Dallas PD/FD), and acceptable coverage for most of the stronger Vhf-High systems (I have quite a few of those in the smaller suburbs in southern Dallas County, as well as Ellis, Kaufman, & Johnson Counties).

For the scanners such as the 396XT and 346XT, or any other Uniden scanner with an SMA antenna connector, you would need to use the SMA -> BNC adapter that came with the scanner in order to use the R/S 800MHz antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.