Colorado forum Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuScanner

cstockmyer said:
I saw Jeffery did this way back in 05, and rather then reheat an old thread.

Stu in Colorado Springs. I listen to municipal and county police/CSP and emergency services on a Pro-96, along with airport services and some military. I'm waiting for good weather to put up a discone to feed my Pro2052/ScanCat, and try to capture aerial refueling.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Put it this way one of my first radio's in the 1960's was a 2 channel crystal controlled VHF low band radio almost as large as a modern day TIVO unit, not a scanner by any means they did not exist, made by this company.

I am located in the beautiful state of colorado and work in the EMS sector. I try to monitor anything that's available and like to live by the motto of "In God we Trust, all others We Monitor".

And am always happy to provide programming assistance or monitoring help if anyone is confused or has questions, just PM or post away. Normally try to attend the excellent scanner meetings held at Luke's place and would be happy to attend one in the Ft Collins or Colo Springs area's if a group is put together North and/or South. We've found these to be excellent and informative information sharing sessions.

Happy New Year to all!

Jim<

"My wife says I have too many radio's to list here!"

Last edited:

cstockmyer

jimmnn said:
"In God we Trust, all others We Monitor".

Jim<

"My wife says I have too many radio's to list here!"

Wow Jim showing up with the comic relief! Jim can answer just about any question asked about scanner. Personally I call him the "god father" because there is nothing that goes on in Colorado with out him knowing about it. :evil: :lol:

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Colorado fourm Roll Call

bwilborn said:
I'd be willing to participate. Maybe have it somewhere in Loveland (easily accessible by I-25 and kind of central to the North folks).

-- B

I wonder what you all might think of a meeting maybe in Feb.......sometime at Johnsons corner home of the famos dinnerplate sized cinnimon bun!!!!!!!!!!
we can eat and check out the toys at the CB shack!!!

M

mpg0515

jeffreyinberthoud said:
I wonder what you all might think of a meeting maybe in Feb.......sometime at Johnsons corner home of the famos dinnerplate sized cinnimon bun!!!!!!!!!!
we can eat and check out the toys at the CB shack!!!

CB shack? hmm? J/K

Mike in Denver here. I have a Pro-96, 396T, XTS**** (for work) and a "couple" of others. I have been in the hobby since I was 7 and in the career for the last 12 years. I listen to Denver now, mostly, hopefully for as long as I can type. I miss Larimer listening but am getting used to Denver. I also monitor Lookout as much as I can both on and off of work....

dirtfinder

My name is Dustin and live in NE Colorado about 25 NE of Sterling to be exact. I've always remembered listen to the scanners from a wee little one and now it has grown into what some claim as insanity, but you all know. I monitor everything and I mean everything. About 200 miles radius on VHF and 70 to 80 miles on DTRS.

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
pitkin/eagle county

HI all i'm ron in basalt,aspen valley
scanning vhf,dtrs,analog800,scanning since1990 in bc canada to 800 frt lauderdale,10 yrs ago with a 2050 base,now pro 96 and 2096---everyone is great asset to the scanning community!!!great job

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I've been monitoring since I was kid living in southern New Jersey. My dad had a Lafayette manually tuned monitor in the days before crystal controlled radios became affordable and popular. He moved up to crystal controlled Bearcats, Regencys and Fanon scanners and then, of course, programmable.
After high school I worked at a Radio Shack store (when they were ELECTRONICS stores) and remember selling some of the first "programmable" scanners. I even sold the model that used a "comb" type device to program each channel, and another that required the user to program via a bunch of switches on the front of the scanner. I'm giving away my age here... :)
I now monitor with a couple of Pro-96's and an XTS3000 thats been issued to me.

fishmanasc

Hi, I'm Josh and am a student here in Colorado Springs. I listen to AMR on my Pro-92, and the Fire Department on Scan Denver. By the way, let me ask anyone who listens to the CSPD to please consider streaming to Scan Denver, so those of us who are financially challenged can listen too. Thanks!

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
fishmanasc said:
Hi, I'm Josh and am a student here in Colorado Springs. I listen to AMR on my Pro-92, and the Fire Department on Scan Denver. By the way, let me ask anyone who listens to the CSPD to please consider streaming to Scan Denver, so those of us who are financially challenged can listen to the Police. Thanks!
What AMR traffic are you listening to on the Pro-92? All their 9-1-1 traffic is on a TG on the El Paso County system. You may be listening to the Pueblo/Canon City/Fremont County Ops.
As for streaming CSPD, I'd like to, but I've only got one scanner and one PC to dedicate to scanning. I thought about turning on those TG's on my fire feed, but I think it would be too confusing. For a donation of about $800-$1,000 I'll be glad to add the PD and SO. :)
We had a guy who was streaming CSPD and EPSO, but that lasted all of a week, and he never answered e-mails asking him to go on-line.

Tazcop

I've been involved with scanners since the mid 70's. Bearcat crystal were the ones to have until programmable ones came out. I now use my Pro 96 and have a XTL5000 that was just issued to me and my dept. I'm a cop in eastern Colo. and DTRS still needs a lot of improvement in my area. When it works it's great otherwise we still have the VHF back up( or maybe the DTRS is the back up).

Jim

mpdonala

Premium Subscriber
Hi I am Mark in Colo Spgs I use a XTS 3000 and all 800 scanners known to man except the GRE 500 which i am currently working on getting yes BOB i am a geek still. I monitor all of El Paso Cnty and CSP.

Uniden 296D
Uniden 396T
Uniden 996T
Rat Shack Pro-96
Rat Shack Pro-2096

Also have another Uniden 296D if anyone is interested. Thanks Mark MNN-402

ROOFLIFECO

Hi there from Aurora! My name is Jordan. I am also young (18). I am an NREMT-B/IV with a department out east and I love it very much. I became a fire department explorer at 13 and took first responder at 14. I am currently doing an internship with AFD and so far I have loved every minute. I am going to go through Paramedic school in two years.

As far as monitoring goes, I pretty much only listen to Aurora Fire, Rural/Metro and once in a while Aurora Police. I also listen to the eastern plains departments. I have been scanning since 5th grade and I still love it.

Happy New Year to everyone and hope you all have a great 2008!

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I'm Don, live in Longmont, am a retired Denver Cop (26 years on the job) and have been listening to police radios since the mid-60's. My first "police radio" was a Panasonic (I think...it's been a LONG while) that you tuned by hand. I was able to monitor the Philadelphia PD and Pa State Police. I got a 6 channel crystal scanner not too long after that when I was volunteering with the Civil Air Patrol back East. I moved to Colorado in 1970 and unfortunately, my "introduction" to Colorado was having the scanner stolen out of my car. Bummer. I've been getting newer, bigger and better scanners every few years and now have a 396T.

I listen mainly to Denver (when I can get it at home) State DTRS (Golden, Thordin and Horsetooth) plus Boulder County, Arvada/Westy. I don't listen as often as I'd like to, but that keeps things nice and peaceful at home! :wink:

county

Premium Subscriber
Howdy All-

I'm Mike and live in SW Aurora. I mostly monitor the agencies where I spend most of my time: Aurora PD/FD at home, and Arapahoe S.O. / South Metro Fire at work. I live close to the Denver/Aurora city borders so when I hear "non Aurora" sirens, I will switch over to Denver to see what's up. I actually can distinguish Aurora apparatus sirens from Denver, and can i.d. Rural/Metro as well, lol! On the drive to work I like monitoring the traffic helos on Unicom, as well as the inputs to the local media repeaters to hear the helo traffic to the studio. I don't have much patience for the banter on these repeaters, so monitoring the inputs suits me pretty well such that I mostly hear just the helo traffic, which tends to cover what I'm after.

I recreate in the mountains often and find monitoring CSP, CDOT, area SOs & FDs to be very informative with regards to roadway/traffic status. CB channel 19 gets thrown in the mix too when the slow downs happen, this can be very informative, and often annoying at the same time.

I've been scanning since about age 11, going on 23 years now! And have been a ham since age 14. My first radio was a Radio Shack Patrolman SW-60, VHF & UHF capable, analog dial tuning. I spent all but the past 3 years of my life in Texas when I moved to CO in 2005. I cut my teeth on Motorola Type-II trunking, and still haven't gotten used to EDACS! Needless to say, I enjoy every bit of Eagle County monitoring as Moto is what I'm used to!

I have a BCD-396T, PRO-96, BC780-XLT, BC-250D, & BC-9000XLT. The 396 gets 99% of the use. The only time it gets turned off is when I take it on-board commercial aircraft!

This is a great forum, thanks for all of the information sharing!

Last edited:

LTbillybob

Premium Subscriber
Roll Call

Hello, my name is Bill and I am an addict.....I started when I was....oh wait oops...wrong group.... :D

Well anyway my name is Bill....I live in Elizabeth, (Elbert County, Colorado), and work at the Fed Center in Lakewood. Currently I only scan Elbert county since my scanner is an old Pro 90. I have been looking at the BCT15 and the BCD996T, just haven't figured out how to explain the cost to the wife. ;)
I also use a Yaesu FT-60 for two way communications, (Studying for my FCC ticket). The two way is primarily used for duty work when out with the County Posse, http://www.countyposse.org, or when working with some of the area Sheriff depts. doing animal seizures, (Usually horses). Have done some with Elbert, Teller, Larimer and now with Park County. I also foster horses for rehab, train and on occasion, do follow ups for locations under investigation and initial investigation.
(Go figure...I do all that on my spare time....but manage network systems for a living. Man my high school buddies wouldn't know what to think!) ;)
And when the opportunity arises, I try to keep my hours up flying Cessnas' for my Private pilot's license when the money allows. Hoping to get to use that for either transporting patients for out of state Dr. appointments or Search an Rescue.

Just joined up to get some of the hard to find frequencies then started seeing more than I expected. Great forum!

Last edited:

MNN198

Premium Subscriber
I guess I should add my 2 cents.
My name is Rob (KC0UUO), I have been involved with scanning and radios for as long as I can remember. I think I started with MNN in the early 90's (Jim do you remember?). I live in Englewood but tend to work all over the country. Using a PRO-96 I monitor DTRS for the metro area and the other systems around town, I change for the area I'm in or for what is being paged out over MNN.

CHEERS
Rob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.