Columbia Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCNRHEAD

Premium Subscriber
PSR 500, AR 8000, Pro 106's, Pro 197, the antenna old trusty shack omni 3 band. 3 uprights 3 horizontal.

djeplett

If you're running all those radios off that one antenna with just one or more regular TV coax splitters you may have barely any signal left. How are you distributing your signal?

djeplett

Ok so the PSR500 has a stock duckie or some other portable antenna on it? If so, do you get identical reception compared to your 197 on the Sputnik?

djeplett

Try turning on the attenuator with the PSR500 and if no change, lay it on it's side on a table and slowly rotate it to see if the transmissions improve.

djeplett

Most WISCOM in the state is not simulcast. That goes for the Sauk site, too. So all your radios will be happy receiving that. Our experiment is going to determine if Columbia County is simulcasting now. It is a possible explanation of why your friend is receiving it and you aren't. Let us know how it goes.

SCNRHEAD

Premium Subscriber
It was SaukScanR that isn't receiving it either apparently he is in Baraboo and said I have someone emailing me, swearing he still receives that frequency. "got a Whistler WS1065 and it’s working fine". I'm 8 mi south of the SO tower in Portage. OK bad signal on duckie but it still sounds garbled upright, on its side very bad reception but still garbled. I can try later today outside. Is it possibly my programing that is the problem? I have freq 154.875 - sq mode search - sq code n/a. So do I have to reprogram that specifically and tell it mode P25 and code 110?

djeplett

No. In my experience with these GRE lineage scanners they sometimes work even better with the channel being programmed for P25 but not specifying the NAC. It seems the radios sometimes take longer to open the squelch as they verify the NAC first. I think it's only useful to program the NAC when there are other users on the frequency also using P25 so you can limit what you hear to only the agency you want to hear. They need to be programmed for P25 but set them to NAC search.

djeplett

It was SaukScanR that isn't receiving it either apparently he is in Baraboo and said I have someone emailing me, swearing he still receives that frequency. "got a Whistler WS1065 and it’s working fine".
Something is not adding up. The friend with the WS1065 is either listening to some other agency thinking it's Columbia County, or he's listening to some other frequency that Columbia County is still using where they're in the clear, or he's not listening when they're using encryption. A WS1065 is identical to your PRO-197. And no scanner can receive encrypted transmissions. Period.

There are several agencies in Wisconsin that also use 154.875. There's even a couple that are P25. If he's using an outside antenna he could be receiving one that's unencrypted, thinking it's Columbia.

SaukScanR

Feed Provider
It might be a programming error on my end, as I don't know much about how this works. I would appreciate it if you'd review the 2 attachments. I manually added the digital channel because Freescan won't connect to the RR Db for some reason. Do you see anything that might be wrong in my settings for 154.875?
Scnrhead, sorry for using your thread to ask for help. I can delete and start a new thread if you prefer.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 12_12_2020 , 1_18_57 PM.png
    Screenshot - 12_12_2020 , 1_18_57 PM.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image_2020-12-12_150053.png
    image_2020-12-12_150053.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 13

djeplett

I also see the tone jumping from 110, to103 and 440 occasionally. Not sure what that means.
In my experience, that's a channel that is transmitting without a CTCSS tone or maybe is transmitting a DCS code and you're searching for a CTCSS tone instead, so as the person talks the tone decode chip detects those tones briefly in the person's voice, so it shows the tone it decoded briefly... Bouncing around from tone to tone.

SCNRHEAD

Premium Subscriber
No, thank you for jumping in ScanSaukR I also learn from your posting. OK as far as I can tell Att on of my PSR, duckie on. It does make a large diff when I point antenna directly at the SO tower very weak signal the other 360 degrees !!

Status
Not open for further replies.