Coronavirus monitoring: Which channels to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Update on the COVID-19 situation in Maryland as of 10am this morning:
Confirmed cases statewide: 2,331
NCR: 1,016
Central/Baltimore Metro: 1,118 (Anne Arundel has 206)
Upper/Lower ES: 58
SoMD: 118
WMD: 21

Hospitalizations: 582
Released from isolation: 81
Deaths: 36

All counties in Maryland now have confirmed cases.
These metrics have essentially doubled since Saturday's update.
Be careful out there.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Yeah... I haven't noticed a ton of activity on AA or Baltimore Sites.

So far I have seen activity these past couple weeks related to Coronavirus on...

MD Tac 7
8179 DHMH
MEMA Central 2
Various Nat Guard Talkgroups active but are Encrypted

MDOT Command 1

jpeterson24

Premium Subscriber
My stats as of 16 April 2020, 1305Z.
Anne Arundel PUI Map (not official) without Firebox Labels
Anne Arundel PUI Map (not official) 800dpi
Anne Arundel PUI Map (not official) with Firebox Labels

PUI Status Stats:
N/A: 344
Unknown PUI: 88
Negative PUI: 254
Possible/Confirmed PUI: 1129
Estimated Missing Incidents due to Mapping Errors: <15

Indications of PUI:
  • Early March
    • User notes indicate "possible PUI" or similar mention of PUI
    • Protocol 6 (Breathing Problems) with indication of PUI
    • Protocol 26 (Sick Person) with indication of PUI
      • Any Protocol 26C02 (Sick Person with Breathing Problems)
  • Mid-March
    • Any Protocol in which the Emerging Infectious Disease Tool (EIDT) was used
    • Protocol 26
      • Any Protocol 26A12 (Sick Person, Coronavirus Suspected)
    • Protocol 6
  • Late March/April
    • Protocol 36 (Corona Virus Symptoms)
    • Any Protocol with PUI indication
    • Verbal indication of PUI during patient contact or transport
      • Note: verbal indication of "negative PUI" is re-recorded accordingly

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
My stats as of 16 April 2020, 1305Z.
Anne Arundel PUI Map (not official) without Firebox Labels
Anne Arundel PUI Map (not official) 800dpi
Anne Arundel PUI Map (not official) with Firebox Labels

PUI Status Stats:
N/A: 344
Unknown PUI: 88
Negative PUI: 254
Possible/Confirmed PUI: 1129
Estimated Missing Incidents due to Mapping Errors: <15

Indications of PUI:
  • Early March
    • User notes indicate "possible PUI" or similar mention of PUI
    • Protocol 6 (Breathing Problems) with indication of PUI
    • Protocol 26 (Sick Person) with indication of PUI
      • Any Protocol 26C02 (Sick Person with Breathing Problems)
  • Mid-March
    • Any Protocol in which the Emerging Infectious Disease Tool (EIDT) was used
    • Protocol 26
      • Any Protocol 26A12 (Sick Person, Coronavirus Suspected)
    • Protocol 6
  • Late March/April
    • Protocol 36 (Corona Virus Symptoms)
    • Any Protocol with PUI indication
    • Verbal indication of PUI during patient contact or transport
      • Note: verbal indication of "negative PUI" is re-recorded accordingly
Is there a start date to this data set, or has it been collected since the term "PUI" was introduced into dispatch procedures?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was over in Denton today; they are a bit more secretive - they use "Code 36" very hush, hush.

jpeterson24

Premium Subscriber
I was over in Denton today; they are a bit more secretive - they use "Code 36" very hush, hush.
They don't mention it on the radio anymore. Now they just dispatch calls as usual and those with PUI indications get a "MU36, TK36, possible PUI, acknowledge." Granted, they've never during the time I've listened (past few years) used PROQA Codes over the air like Baltimore City does.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
They don't mention it on the radio anymore. Now they just dispatch calls as usual and those with PUI indications get a "MU36, TK36, possible PUI, acknowledge." Granted, they've never during the time I've listened (past few years) used PROQA Codes over the air like Baltimore City does.
IDK, seems like the same procedure as before in AACo. Sick person, trouble breathing, etc. as an initial dispatch, then a verbal request to acknowledge a possible PUI as units check on the air, and if the pt. is asked to meet responders outside. Then the incident commander either confirms or negates PUI status after evaluation.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed cases statewide: 12,308 (+736 last 24hr)
NCR: 6,121 (PG has the most cases at 3,160)
Central/Baltimore Metro: 5,058 (Baltimore County has the most cases at 1,664; Anne Arundel has 1,005)
Upper/Lower ES: 419 (Wicomico has the most cases at 138)
SoMD: 557 (Charles has the most cases at 347)
WMD: 153 (Washington has the most cases at 116)

Hospitalizations: 2,757 (+145 last 24hrs.)
Released from isolation: 771 (+35 last 24hrs.)
Deaths: 463 (+38 last 24 hrs.) Does not include probable deaths: 71. Probable means symptoms of COVID-19 infection, but was not tested.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Calvert and St. Mary's were transporting PUI patients today. They do use the term "PUI" and not the cool "Code 36" you hear in Caroline County.

boatbod

Calvert and St. Mary's were transporting PUI patients today. They do use the term "PUI" and not the cool "Code 36" you hear in Caroline County.
"PUI" is used during med consult to advise the destination facility that you are bringing a patient who meets some/all of the COVID symptoms.
"Code 36" / "Card 36" is used during EMD (dispatch) to communicate that the call script met possible COVID screening criteria.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
"PUI" is used during med consult to advise the destination facility that you are bringing a patient who meets some/all of the COVID symptoms.
"Code 36" / "Card 36" is used during EMD (dispatch) to communicate that the call script met possible COVID screening criteria.
Yup, I understand that. I'm just commenting that both St. Mary's and Calvert were using the CDC term PUI vs the term "Code 36" in their dispatch communications that I heard, as does Anne Arundel. I was not listening to consults. It's more of an illustration of plain language (as much as an acronym can be plain language) vs. obsolete coded comms.

Also, Calvert and AACo use similar dispatch procedures: fairly brief and standardized, whereas Caroline EMS dispatches tend to be more wordy and detailed, yet uses codes which is not recommended in current DHS comms guidelines. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed cases statewide: 25,462 (+989 last 24hr)
NCR: 13,487 (PG has the most cases at 7,333)
Central/Baltimore Metro: 9,521 (Baltimore County has the most cases at 3,301; Anne Arundel has 1,959)
Upper/Lower ES: 1,130 (Wicomico has the most cases at 473)
SoMD: 964 (Charles has the most cases at 637)
WMD: 360 (Washington has the most cases at 232)

Current Hospitalizations: 1,635* (-22 last 24hrs.) [this metric changed from a running / cumulative total to a current total]
Released from isolation: 1,666 (+76 last 24hrs.)
Deaths: 1,182 (+26 last 24 hrs.) Does not include probable deaths or no data deaths of 169. Probable means symptoms of COVID-19 infection, but was not tested.

*The number of currently hospitalized has decreased for the past few days from its peak on April 28-29.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
AACo Health Dept TG is active today - a rarity. Not sure what's going on, maybe a COVID-19 test site?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel Parks are interesting to monitor. Lots of behavior issues the Rangers are dealing with with respect to large groups, social distancing, etc.... This morning at Quiet Waters, a man is complaining about a woman harassing him for not wear a mask (outdoors, lol.)

baybum

He was probably 30 feet away from anybody until she felt she had to come over and run her big mouth. To get off topic a bit...some "leader" somewhere I saw on TV was doing a press conference at a tennis court. No doubles play allowed, and you have to bring your own balls so no one else touches your balls. That about wraps up how our elected leaders have been handling this...but I digress.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to the Annapolis Harbormaster TG talking about gearing up for the weekend, noting that what happened last weekend cannot occur this coming weekend. People were disregarding social distancing, drinking carryout beer in the streets, some local restaurants were setting up tables on the sidewalk without permits; general bad behavior. Not sure if it can be linked to the protesters on Saturday. The mayor is upset. Sounds like code enforcement will be cracking down on vendors and scofflaws. Maryland has seen a downward tread on Hospitalizations - we'll see if that trend continues over the next few weeks - the largest group of infections is now 30-39 y.o. The majority of deaths have been people of retirement age, 60+, with the majority of those over 80. Meanwhile the state police are having to contend with large packs of motorcyces and cars racing down I-97 from Baltimore, and around the east side of the Capital Beltway. People are going nuts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.