Coronavirus monitoring: Which channels to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Annapolis OEM tg active today with bar / crowd checks, etc. Rarely used tg except for events. Lots of public drinking occurring.

jpeterson24

Premium Subscriber
Another Anne Arundel County Update (unofficial)

Summary:
  • Total number of located PUI cases: 2765
  • Estimated number of unlocated PUI cases due to georeferencing: <25 (<0.9%)
  • Estimated number of missed PUI cases due to missing records: <60 (<2.17%)
  • Approximate start date of logging PUI (earliest date on which PUI or coronavirus reference was mentioned): 28 February 2020
  • Valid date: 28 May 2020, 1500Z
  • Number of reported cases in Anne Arundel County as of 28 May 2020, 1518Z: 3556
  • Proportion of located PUI cases relative to total reported: 77.7559%
Map details:
  • Clusters are formed if there are an aggregate of 2 or more within 2.5 millimeters (calculated automatically in QGIS)
  • Clusters are colored by the following thresholds:
    • < 5
    • < 10
    • < 20
    • < 30
    • < 40
    • < 50
    • < 75
    • < 100
    • >= 100
  • Single cases are depicted by a semi-opaque black diamond
  • Clusters display frequency of cases within the 2.5 millimeters

North (1:100000 scale)
Central (1:120000 scale)
South (1:120000 scale)
Annapolis (1:80000 scale)
Glen Burnie (1:60000 scale)
West (1:70000 scale)
Linthicum (1:40000 scale)
Arnold (1:60000 scale)
Annapolis (another view) (1:50000 scale)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another Anne Arundel County Update (unofficial)

Summary:
  • Total number of located PUI cases: 2765
  • Estimated number of unlocated PUI cases due to georeferencing: <25 (<0.9%)
  • Estimated number of missed PUI cases due to missing records: <60 (<2.17%)
  • Approximate start date of logging PUI (earliest date on which PUI or coronavirus reference was mentioned): 28 February 2020
  • Valid date: 28 May 2020, 1500Z
  • Number of reported cases in Anne Arundel County as of 28 May 2020, 1518Z: 3556
  • Proportion of located PUI cases relative to total reported: 77.7559%
Map details:
  • Clusters are formed if there are an aggregate of 2 or more within 2.5 millimeters (calculated automatically in QGIS)
  • Clusters are colored by the following thresholds:
    • < 5
    • < 10
    • < 20
    • < 30
    • < 40
    • < 50
    • < 75
    • < 100
    • >= 100
  • Single cases are depicted by a semi-opaque black diamond
  • Clusters display frequency of cases within the 2.5 millimeters

North (1:100000 scale)
Central (1:120000 scale)
South (1:120000 scale)
Annapolis (1:80000 scale)
Glen Burnie (1:60000 scale)
West (1:70000 scale)
Linthicum (1:40000 scale)
Arnold (1:60000 scale)
Annapolis (another view) (1:50000 scale)
This is based on PUIs handled by the fire department, correct?

Other Anne Arundel County resources (my zipcode has the second highest number in the county; and the other Annapolis zipcode has the most, lol.):

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Recently got tested at the Anne Arundel Health testing site in Glen Burnie. Noticed most of the 2 dozen or so employees had Motorola/APX radios on them. I have seen media pics/video from the one in Annapolis on Truman Parkway and they also have radios too.

I haven't noticed any activity of them on the Anne Arundel System. I didn't bring my radio with me when I went, I wonder if they are using simplex frequencies?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Recently got tested at the Anne Arundel Health testing site in Glen Burnie. Noticed most of the 2 dozen or so employees had Motorola/APX radios on them. I have seen media pics/video from the one in Annapolis on Truman Parkway and they also have radios too.

I haven't noticed any activity of them on the Anne Arundel System. I didn't bring my radio with me when I went, I wonder if they are using simplex frequencies?
When I got a COVID test back in August at the Health Department HQ on Truman Parkway, they were using XTSs. BTW, it only took a few minutes in line, and I got a negative result 2 days later. The bad part was the trouble breathing was caused by a bilateral PE that forced a visit to the ER, and an overnight stay at AAMC (in the outpatient observation area formerly used for COVID pts.)

boatbod

This is based on PUIs handled by the fire department, correct?

PUI is a tool used by first responders to give hospital emergency departments a heads-up when they are coming in with a possible COVID patient. The criteria for someone to be considered PUI is broad enough that I doubt it makes a good substitute metric for the positivity rate in any given area. Theoretically all COVID+ patients should be PUI (but what if they are asymptomatic?) however the category encompasses just about anyone with fever and a cough or breathing difficulties.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

Going through some radio recordings, they are using FiRST 7950 at the Glen Burnie/Bay Meadow site.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
PUI is a tool used by first responders to give hospital emergency departments a heads-up when they are coming in with a possible COVID patient. The criteria for someone to be considered PUI is broad enough that I doubt it makes a good substitute metric for the positivity rate in any given area. Theoretically all COVID+ patients should be PUI (but what if they are asymptomatic?) however the category encompasses just about anyone with fever and a cough or breathing difficulties.
AAFD dispatchers confirm with units responding that the nature of the call is a "possible PUI." After evaluation, the responders will report "positive" or "negative" PUI before transporting to a facility. Presumably these radio procedures document the notifications, triggers measures to be taken on admittance to the hospital, and appropriate PPE usage and decon of the equipment before returning to service. Obviously there is no way to know if a person is COVID+ based only on symptoms; the best data source on positivity and hospitalizations is the MD DHMH COIVD portal. AACo also has one specific to the county.

Last edited:

boatbod

AAFD dispatchers confirm with units responding that the nature of the call is a "possible PUI." After evaluation, the responders will report "positive" or "negative" PUI before transporting to a facility. Presumably these radio procedures document the notifications, triggers measures to be taken on admittance to the hospital, and appropriate PPE usage and decon of the equipment before returning to service. Obviously there is no way to know if a person is COVID+ based only on symptoms; the best data source on positivity and hospitalizations is the MD DHMH COIVD portal. AACo also has one specific to the county.

Transport units with a patient who meets PUI criteria are required to conduct an informational consult with the receiving facility prior to arrival. In cases where this may not be possible (e.g. pri 1) the transport unit may ask dispatch to advise the facility on their behalf.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Transport units with a patient who meets PUI criteria are required to conduct an informational consult with the receiving facility prior to arrival. In cases where this may not be possible (e.g. pri 1) the transport unit may ask dispatch to advise the facility on their behalf.
I imagine they are consulting, but I don't actively monitor Med channels unless I happen to hear an AACo provider being simulcast on the state 700 system. However, the PUI notifications that I am referring to are comms during the initial response confirming units are aware of the nature, and a mid-incident report by field units to the fire dispatcher - often done by the engine company officer, an EMS officer or other provider on the scene. It is a short message to confirm or deny PUI status e.g. "Engine 171, confirmed PUI," and usually does not mention a facility. It is more of an accountability chain notification.

Last edited:

boatbod

I imagine they are consulting, but I don't actively monitor Med channels unless I happen to hear an AACo provider being simulcast on the state 700 system. However, the PUI notifications that I am referring to are comms during the initial response confirming units are aware of the nature, and a mid-incident report by field units to the fire dispatcher - often done by the engine company officer, an EMS officer or other provider on the scene. It is a short message to confirm or deny PUI status e.g. "Engine 171, confirmed PUI," and usually does not mention a facility. It is more of an accountability chain notification.
I think that must be local policy for AAFD as I don't hear it happening in either Talbot or Dorchester. Around here the dispatcher notifies the responders they have a "Code 36", then it's up to the medical provider to assess symptoms and make appropriate PUI notification to the receiving hospital via a consult. Less patient-related info going out on channels that are readily available via broadcastify...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think that must be local policy for AAFD as I don't hear it happening in either Talbot or Dorchester. Around here the dispatcher notifies the responders they have a "Code 36", then it's up to the medical provider to assess symptoms and make appropriate PUI notification to the receiving hospital via a consult. Less patient-related info going out on channels that are readily available via broadcastify...
The only pt info ever stated over the air is age and sex (and complaint / call type.) TBH, I hear more pt details over the air from Talbot and Caroline Counties (on their EMS tacs that I occasionally hear.) As I said, it seems the PUI status is an accountability function vs a consultation. And this is for AACo and I think Montgomery dors something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.