CSQ Repeaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wYtEbOyFoLyPh

Does a repeater have the capibility to use CSQ for repeating... I know you can do it on direct but what about repeated? Thanks

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sure. A lot of ham repeaters do noy use any form of tone signaling, and they work just fine. You do run the risk of interferience when a repeater does not use a tone.

ReceiverBeaver

Banned
Hey the wYhkdpogf986ke9vfkrto7y69rkv and Grog,

Grog, the topic starter is referring to Simplex Repeaters. CSQ a.ka. QSK referes to simplex operation.

Yes there are simplex repeaters. Radio shack used to sell such a device for $99 but they are gone now. Find them used on Ebay ect.... Other manufacturer's still have them. Google them or check with a ham radio supplier.

You transmit your message unkey and wait, there is a delay, your transmission is digitally recorded and then rebroadcasted on the same frequency. A guy has one in my area on the air. Kindof a novelty. They are more useful in field projects as a portable operation.

Someone is lost in the woods in a large area. The simplex repeating operator stages his vehicle on high ground overlooking the search area. All field units operate through this central station.

N

N_Jay

wYtEbOyFoLyPh said:
lol, so basically you're saying u cannot use CSQ on the new repeaters?

Carrier Squelch works fine on a repeater as long as the channel is clear and there is no interference.

It really comes down to a question of the "what" and "Why" about your goal.

I assume we are talking about DUPLEX REPEATERS here. :roll: :wink:

ReceiverBeaver

Banned
Of course NJ thinks you are retarted. He thinks everybody is retarted. Hey !!!!! What does retarted mean?

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
CSQ (Carrier SQuelch), whether selective squelch (CTCSS, DCS, etc.) or basic squelch (muted), is routinely used on repeaters to keep repeater stations from being keyed-up constantly and to keep other nearby repeaters on the same input frequency from keying the squelch-equipped one unnecessarily. In fact, basic squelch is always used in amateur radio and most business radio to keep repeater stations from being keyed-up constantly.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Duplex

KC8JPZ said:
A duplex Repeater is a repeater that is operating on 2 frequencies. It receives on one of them and simultaneously transmits what it is receiving on the other frequency.[/url]
Actually, "duplex" is what a telephone uses - both open at the same time for live two way conversation; AKA "full duplex." "Duplex" in the radio world is a misnomer. The correct term should be "semi-duplex," because normally only one side of a conversation can be heard at one time; however, two channels are used, as you stated.

Note: sometimes a system allows for dispatcher to hear a transmission on the input and transmit on the output at the same time, but units in the field do not normally have this option. This is still "semi-duplex." Also, there are some (few) full duplex radio systems (some applications would be for tactical use, such as a SWAT operation); but most radio systems are semi-duplex or simplex.

Simplex is one channel and only one way at a time. But, as also stated, there are devices that simulate a semi-duplex system by recording the voice live and then retransmitting it on a higher power radio shortly after the transmission is complete.

N

N_Jay

The common term is "Half-Duplex".

Repeaters are duplex, and the field equipment can be half-duplex or full-duplex.

And, the only "retarded" joke I was going to make was about the way he spells his name. :)

wYtEbOyFoLyPh

OK, I guess I am confused. The only repeaters I know of are set up like this. Output 460.475 173.8 and Input 465.475 173.8. What would that be, duplex or simplex? If what I am hearing it right how can you TX on the same freq. you RX on?

N

N_Jay

wYtEbOyFoLyPh said:
OK, I guess I am confused. The only repeaters I know of are set up like this. Output 460.475 173.8 and Input 465.475 173.8. What would that be, duplex or simplex? If what I am hearing it right how can you TX on the same freq. you RX on?

First put single frequency repeaters out of your mind. They are not very common and have little to do with what regular (DUPLEX) repeaters are used for or how they work.

The repeater you listed is DUPLEX, (Two frequency).

One is the input or mobile transmit, or base receive, or up-link, and the other is the output, or mobile receive, or base transmit, or down-link.

The receiver can be CSQ or some how protected, PL, DPL, Single tone, DTMF Burst, etc.

The transmitter may or may not send a squelch opening signal, (PL, DPL, Tone Burst, etc.)

The receive squelch system and the transmitted code may or may not be related.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Repeater

If you see the term "repeater" or "R" (as opposed to "simplex" or "S"), this is a base-mobile radio system channel with two frequencies (one for input and one for output). The system is know as "duplex” hence the term "duplex," or as I wrote previously, "semi-duplex" or "half-duplex." This is the case with repeaters about 99.5% of the time (of course, there is going to be some guy who will post that his repeater has only one frequency - that is the other .5%). The term “repeater” is used because the base radio “repeats” the transmission of the mobile radios at a higher power output on another frequency.

The repeater system works like this:

• Mobile radios transmit on Frequency A and receive on Frequency B.
• The repeater transmits on Frequency B and receives on Frequency A.
• When the repeater receives a transmission on Frequency A, it rebroadcasts the transmission on Frequency B at a higher output (higher wattage or power) and usually at a better site for propagation with a larger antenna (atop a hill, mountain, building, tower, etc.).

The repeater radio may be the base station radio or it may be remotely located. If the repeater is remotely located, normally the dispatch uses a link to the repeater rather than a radio at the dispatch site. Some dispatch locations can also transmit on the output frequency whilst listening on the input frequency (LAPD and LASO has this cababilty).

Note: some systems use one frequency for the mobiles to transmit to the base and other frequency for the base to transmit to the mobiles without the repeater rebroadcasting the transmissions. You would have to listen to both frequencies to hear both sides of the conversation. Example: CHP uses this type of system.

wYtEbOyFoLyPh said:
The only repeaters I know of are set up like this. Output 460.475 173.8 and Input 465.475 173.8. What would that be, duplex or simplex?
This is duplex. This may be displayed in a frequency guide as "R" for "Repeater," "B" for "Base," or "D" for "Duplex."

wYtEbOyFoLyPh said:
If what I am hearing it right how can you TX on the same freq. you RX on?
Many radios are capable of switching from duplex to simplex. In that case, a user would switch to simplex and then the radio would be transmitting on the RX frequency. This is to avoid transmitting on the frequency that would activate the repeater (the input frequency). Radio users choose this option to use as talk around to other nearby users without hitting up the repeater and having the repeater retransmit their communications. Since the RX frequency is used, the user can still hear the transmissions from the repeater as well. This use of simplex does not interfere with the repeater and only transmits with the power output of the portable or mobile radio used. After the user is done with the simplex mode, the user switches the radio back to repeater mode and the radio now transmits on the input frequency, enabling communications with the repeater again. This is sometimes designated as a "TAC" or "Tacticle" channel. This may be displayed in a frequency guide as "S" for "Simplex," "M" for "Mobile," or without any designation (most of the time if there is no designation, the assumption is that the frequency is simplex).

See this Wikipedia link: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/repeater

:p

wYtEbOyFoLyPh

Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated. One more thing than I'll shut up, heh. Some police dispatchers hit the repeater, while others don't. They always hit the repeater on TRS's tho. Does the TRS not have any other capability?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
wYtEbOyFoLyPh said:
Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated. One more thing than I'll shut up, heh. Some police dispatchers hit the repeater, while others don't. They always hit the repeater on TRS's tho. Does the TRS not have any other capability?

Yup, but trunked systems do have FailSoft mode. Which I really don't know how it works, but I believe each tower turns into a conventional repeater.

Al42

wYtEbOyFoLyPh said:
Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated. One more thing than I'll shut up, heh. Some police dispatchers hit the repeater, while others don't.
Because some run little base radios in the dispatch center so, from the system's view, they're the same as mobiles. Others are connected to the repeater by wire so you don't hear a "repeat".
They always hit the repeater on TRS's tho. Does the TRS not have any other capability?
That's because a TRS is inherently a repeater system.

Status
Not open for further replies.