Dead 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paz

Premium Subscriber
My GRE 500 won't turn on anymore. It was working fine, but now nothing. It's old and well used, but if anyone has any suggestions about getting it working again, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

K9WG

Are you sure the batteries are making good contact? The battery tabs can bend with use. Also if you are using rechargeable batteries make sure they are good. I just had a battery pack for another radio go bad on me. It would work until you transmitted or tapped on the battery then it would go dead.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Is it dead with external power, too? Are you sure the power adapter is working?

rwier

..............................................what do you mean that power is fine?

Triggers a pet peeve of mine. So many posts resembling:

"I just received my *** radio, and installed the software correctly, and followed all the instructions perfectly, and the radio won't work? Can't anyone help me?" Then you see it is the poster's first post ever in RR.

For me, with some modern scanners, I need to read both the software manual, and the radio manual, 3 times, and then spend a few hours trying to achieve my desired result. To come here and post that I did all of this perfectly, and without error, and that the radio still does not work, could only be considered as the words of a comedic genius, or those of a complete imbecile.

Paz

Premium Subscriber
I also have a radio shack 106. I confirmed that the adapter is working, the batteries are good, and the battery connections are good. I recharge overnight every night. In the morning it just wouldn't respond when I turned it on. No sign of a power surge, but I suppose that's possible.

mancow

Database Admin
Bad switch, bad voltage regulators, bad solder joints, loose screws rolling around shorting crap out....the possibilities are infinite. The choices are to send it back or open it up and start looking. There is nothing that can be done from the outside by simple manipulation of the controls and no addition knowledge can be gained by simply looking at it externally.

SCPD

QRT
I also have a radio shack 106. I confirmed that the adapter is working, the batteries are good, and the battery connections are good. I recharge overnight every night. In the morning it just wouldn't respond when I turned it on. No sign of a power surge, but I suppose that's possible.

I would highly recommend getting an external charger for your batteries. Maha makes very good chargers ... this is what I use:

MAHA / POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA / AAA.

Just better than blowing up a 400$ scanner .. but guess maybe you learned the hard way. You won't be the first and you won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.