Defeated by Bell Fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

condor477

Hello all, I recently picked up a BCT15 from a friend. I previously had a RS pro-528 to monitor local police and fire. That scanner was porgammed for me when I bought it. At that time I was more interested in the broadcasted content than how the scanner and trunking systems worked. That changed when I screwed up that scanner once and used this site to reprogram it. It was good feeling and left me hungry to learn more.

Anyway, I was able to program the bct15 for the local MII 800mhz trunked system for police and fire. I then wanted to start listening to EMS and ran into a brick wall. I've spent 3 days reading and experimenting with no success.

Here is what I have learned and done thus far. I understand the Ontario Bell Fleetnet system as trunked MII VHF system... not sure if this is the best explaination but this is the best way I can describe it based on my 3 days of radio/scanner education. I created a new system on the scanner (Motorola "II" ). Then a new site with the VHF settings (Screen shows MV2). I then added the control frequencies for the closest towers. Next I put in the band plan settings for zone 1. I set the scanner to search... nothing. I've added the local ems dispatch TGID's and set to scan, nothing. There are no signal strength bars, no control channel show up at the bottom,it just sits there when set to that sytem. I'm not sure what to do and am ready to give up. I'm near Hamilton if that helps. I've messed with status bit, CC only, etc etc. I need some help with this if you can.

Yes, I read the tutorials on the site for uniden scanners. I still dont get it.

Thanks,

condor477

Thank you for your response and I apolgize for my ignorance on this.Yes, If I press hold I can hear static on the control channel if I turn the sql down to about a quarter. Could I just be too far from a tower? I've setup another site using the cayuga tower with the same result.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Here is what I have learned and done thus far. I understand the Ontario Bell Fleetnet system as trunked MII VHF system... not sure if this is the best explaination but this is the best way I can describe it based on my 3 days of radio/scanner education. I created a new system on the scanner (Motorola "II" ). Then a new site with the VHF settings (Screen shows MV2). I then added the control frequencies for the closest towers. Next I put in the band plan settings for zone 1. I set the scanner to search... nothing. I've added the local ems dispatch TGID's and set to scan, nothing. There are no signal strength bars, no control channel show up at the bottom,it just sits there when set to that sytem. I'm not sure what to do and am ready to give up. I'm near Hamilton if that helps. I've messed with status bit, CC only, etc etc. I need some help with this if you can.

You mention you setup the bandplan... As this is a Type II system there isn't a band plan per say to setup. You do however need to enter the base/spacing/offset info (which may be what you are referring to).

Base Spacing Offset
141.015 15.0 380
151.7300 15.0 579
154.3200 15.0 632

For Site 7 (Hamilton) you would want to enable Control Channel Only and use 142.3500 and 142.8000 as the primary and alternate frequencies.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of making sure you assign the system/site/group keys blah blah and make sure they are enabled when the scanner is... well... scanning. You should at least see it pause on the control channel at this point.

I can send you a FreeScan file that I use in my BCT15 if it's of any use to you.

condor477

Thanks. There is an option in the site settings that says "Edit Band plan". This is where I entered the base/spacing/offset settings you mentioned. I do have the control channels entered and it set to control channel only. I have entered the TGID's into the group settings. Do I need to enter the system ID somewhere?

Pardon my ignorance but I dont know what a freescan file is.

DaveH

You mention you setup the bandplan... As this is a Type II system there isn't a band plan per say to setup. You do however need to enter the base/spacing/offset info (which may be what you are referring to).

Base Spacing Offset
141.015 15.0 380
151.7300 15.0 579
154.3200 15.0 632

What you refer to is commonly called the bandplan. You'd be correct to say that for
Type II, no fleetmap is required (or more correctly, a Type II fleetmap setting).

Dave

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I recently picked up a BCT15 from a friend. I previously had a RS pro-528 to monitor local police and fire. That scanner was porgammed for me when I bought it. At that time I was more interested in the broadcasted content than how the scanner and trunking systems worked. That changed when I screwed up that scanner once and used this site to reprogram it. It was good feeling and left me hungry to learn more.

Anyway, I was able to program the bct15 for the local MII 800mhz trunked system for police and fire. I then wanted to start listening to EMS and ran into a brick wall. I've spent 3 days reading and experimenting with no success.

Yes, I read the tutorials on the site for uniden scanners. I still dont get it.

Thanks,

If it matters to you I urge you not to give up.
The likelyhood is that you are doing something wrong and you will be able to figure it out.
I live near Hamilton and monitor the same tower as you do.
As asked here when you enter in 142.350 as your control channel do you hear a grinding noise?
The reason why I ask is because the stock antenna that comes with the scanner isnt reallt designed for the frequency in question; I live 200 feet up in the air and face Hamilton and can see the actual tower but in some rooms of my place I cannot hear the tower.

If I can be of any help please PM me, I dont have your scanner but I bet I can help you out all things considered.

Eric

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
No frequency at the bottom & no signal bars means your not getting the fleetnet towers you programmed in.

The fleetnet system needs a GOOD antenna (often mobile or outdoor), the one included with the unit does NOT always work esp if you are right in between 2 towers

Fleetnet is a "finicky" system to say the least.

condor477

My apologies. This was entirely an antenna issue. After reading this I swapped the BCT15 antenna with one from from a BCT8 (next weeks project, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me then). It worked immediately. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.