Delaware County Pa New System

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Delaware County does have a block of 13 (10 general use, 3 state) 700MHz channels assigned to them by RPC 28 (although Ocean County NJ has applied to use one of them.) Not sure why they are not pursuing their use.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I went back and listened to the V-Comm presentation: they do recommend a 700 P25P2 simulcast trunked system with 24 tower sites (vs. the 40 currently used.) They also recommend a UHF backup system, with no technology specified. The backup system would be constructed first, and would be available while the simulcast system is built out over the next 3 years. $50-70M price tag all in. They estimate 6,700 subscribers will be needed to match the current inventories. The VHF low paging system will likely be replaced by a UHF system, and not one based on using the P25 system as they are expensive, and generally don't perform well according to V-Comm.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
I went back and listened to the V-Comm presentation: they do recommend a 700 P25P2 simulcast trunked system with 24 tower sites (vs. the 40 currently used.) They also recommend a UHF backup system, with no technology specified. The backup system would be constructed first, and would be available while the simulcast system is built out over the next 3 years. $50-70M price tag all in. They estimate 6,700 subscribers will be needed to match the current inventories. The VHF low paging system will likely be replaced by a UHF system, and not one based on using the P25 system as they are expensive, and generally don't perform well according to V-Comm.
Where is the V-comm presentation available to be watched online?

Septa3371CSX1

Trying to figure out what they mean by 40 sites currently in use - there are definitely not 40 transmit sites for the current UHF system. I'm thinking they're counting in receive only sites in use throughout the county to help fill portable dead zones. Also anyone know whether the DMR system will be conventional (2 slots per frequency) or trunked?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The county published an RFP in August for a consultant to manage the radio project. Not sure who was selected - I'm still researching that outcome. But in that solicitation, the VComm report is referenced, and it states there are 43 RF sites:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.01.01 AM.png.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here's a site breakdown by Zone for the Police system. It does note receive only sites:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.05.42 AM.png

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Those are the general use channels allocated to Delaware County - but they will need more channels. Either they "find" some more unused 700 channels, or look for random unused 800 channels. There are 3 state channels also assigned to Delaware Co., but I'm not sure that PA would give those up, and one other Delaware Co. general use channel was assigned to a NJ jurisdiction.

ncaff

I was hearing Upper Darby PD ops on 462.9625 TG-5420 Slot-2 CC-8 a few moments ago, WRKE971. Sample clip here, seems like they're using this as a fallback? They have now returned to their normal T-band frequency
Possibly the "PD Alternate" channel included with the new portables?