Delaware County Pa New System

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I find the placement of these two sites kinda strange. They are one mile apart. Concordville and Thornton.
View attachment 118418
Could be using directional antennas / downtilt to shape their coverage area.

Edit: The Concordville site is def using a direction antenna, pointed NE with a 90° BW.
Edit 2: Thornton also has a 90° BW, but no orientation is noted in the license.

Last edited:

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Could be using directional antennas / downtilt to shape their coverage area.

Edit: The Concordville site is def using a direction antenna, pointed NE with a 90° BW.
Edit 2: Thornton also has a 90° BW, but no orientation is noted in the license.

From page 3 of the Region 28 approval:

1647930951617.png

Attachments

• Delco Region 28 Approval 700 MHz 20211205_p3.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I find the placement of these two sites kinda strange. They are one mile apart. Concordville and Thornton.
View attachment 118418

I type in coords manually. I could have gotten some wrong. I'll check :)

I checked. Coords are right. Towers exist right at each location, and each of the location descriptions match up. So I have no clue what they are up to.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Rich

Do you have a link to the full document? I see a reference to a site in Brookhaven and am trying to find additional information about it.

Thanks

Terry
The FCC database for the various SY licenses for the system has the documentation.

Jl942264

Premium Subscriber
Have they awarded the contract yet? I heard Motorola didn't bid until the second release..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Have they awarded the contract yet? I heard Motorola didn't bid until the second release..
Supposed to be April. I’m not sure how tower siting can be finalized before a contract like this is awarded - seems risky if the fix isn’t in.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Supposed to be April. I’m not sure how tower siting can be finalized before a contract like this is awarded - seems risky if the fix isn’t in.
So, you think that only the manufacturer can figure out where the RF subsites should be located? You don't think that there are well established industry standards and plotting software, and that 99% of agencies or counties looking to build out these systems don't first retain the services of consultants that specialize in RF? :unsure:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So, you think that only the manufacturer can figure out where the RF subsites should be located? You don't think that there are well established industry standards and plotting software, and that 99% of agencies or counties looking to build out these systems don't first retain the services of consultants that specialize in RF? :unsure:
I’m sure their consultants designed a notional system using their experience and software, but will the vendor want to take responsibility for system performance based on a third party consultant’s design? This may be part of the reason why a second round of bidding became necessary.

Jl942264

Premium Subscriber
I’m sure their consultants designed a notional system using their experience and software, but will the vendor want to take responsibility for system performance based on a third party consultant’s design? This may be part of the reason why a second round of bidding became necessary.
I know a consulting agency was brought in, I believe it was VComm, and ASD. Anyways I'd gather that a decision has been made or they're at least in serious talks with a vendor... time will tell!

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
For those who have not dug into the licenses and read the slow growth letter, here are the proposed benchmarks:

On or before April 17, 2022 Award and execute the contract with the successful vendor, and initiate kickoff meeting to start Customer Design Review (CDR)

On or before February 17, 2023 Purchase and begin installing base stations countywide. Perform Field Acceptance Test Plan (FATP) and Coverage Acceptance Test Plan (CATP)

On or before December 15, 2023 Purchase, deliver, and install mobiles. Program portables

On or before February 16, 2024 Review and approve punch list items and sign off on the Final System Acceptance (FSA)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
For those who have not dug into the licenses and read the slow growth letter, here are the proposed benchmarks:

On or before April 17, 2022 Award and execute the contract with the successful vendor, and initiate kickoff meeting to start Customer Design Review (CDR)

On or before February 17, 2023 Purchase and begin installing base stations countywide. Perform Field Acceptance Test Plan (FATP) and Coverage Acceptance Test Plan (CATP)

On or before December 15, 2023 Purchase, deliver, and install mobiles. Program portables

On or before February 16, 2024 Review and approve punch list items and sign off on the Final System Acceptance (FSA)

Ambitious timeline.