Delaware encryption

Roach112683

Encryption fun. Having to rely on cell phones to interoperate? How will that work out in a disaster scenario? They are going to need to institute some non-encrypted Event tgs / Tac tgs. Are the fire company's fire police radios privately owned, or issued by the county?
I thought that's what the IOP channels were for? Rehoboth\Dewey used them without issue. Or at least that's what I was listening to the last few days.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
Encryption fun. Having to rely on cell phones to interoperate? How will that work out in a disaster scenario? They are going to need to institute some non-encrypted Event tgs / Tac tgs. Are the fire company's fire police radios privately owned, or issued by the county?

Fire Radios are issued by the state, and privately owned. The state only supplies limited a limited amount of radios.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Fire Radios are issued by the state, and privately owned. The state only supplies limited a limited amount of radios.
So is this why the fire police were upset? Having obsolete programming in their privately owned radios? Someone said that ADP was the encryption standard used on the Delaware system, and ADP is more or less a standard option in Motorola radios. Seems simple enough to fix.

jwhite591

The Comunication Guy
I have A question, why Does Fire Police Need Encryption there job is crowd control and directing traffice on emergency scenes, they don't have the same police powers as state police or any small town police department, and they don't infestation anything as far as crimes go. So my Question why do they need it ?

de784

Feed Provider
I have A question, why Does Fire Police Need Encryption there job is crowd control and directing traffice on emergency scenes, they don't have the same police powers as state police or any small town police department, and they don't infestation anything as far as crimes go. So my Question why do they need it ?
The only reason I can see is when Lewes had there fire works cmd post was encrypted and they could not hear what was being relayed

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It is simple: the police want to control the message. That's it. Is AES1024 a thing in public safety grade radio? I believe Motorola offers AES256 as its most secure (and standardized) encryption option.

de784

Feed Provider
Delaware State News ran an article on the current state of police encryption in Delaware. It sure was an interesting read and it was interesting to hear from some of the different viewpoints in the article.

Encryption of police radios creates some static
They were already using the cad system which had stopped alot of information. As I said before encrypt tac channels but dispatch should have been kept open

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
That's why I'm curious as to why DSP waited until this year to encrypt all 3 CMD talk groups as they could've followed suit right after NCCPD encrypted their dispatch a few years ago.

Roach112683

Has anyone heard anything on the Animal Control (SPCA) channel since the encryption?

I used to hear things every once in a while but now it's nothing.

Thanks.

de784

Feed Provider
Has anyone heard anything on the Animal Control (SPCA) channel since the encryption?

I used to hear things every once in a while but now it's nothing.

Thanks.
Funny I was going to ask same I haven't heard anything

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
I heard them the other day on a call at night in which they were removing an animal from a home. The radio traffic on 17488 seems to be very limited and almost nonexistent at times though.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Cell phones. It's not like they are on patrol, looking for strays.

Roach112683

LoL. Ok let me say they are supposed to. Whether they actually do or not I don't know. But I did see a posting where they found a dog running around in a neighborhood while patrolling so...

bs369

Just had two rides in the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. Went over last Wed and came back today apparently the DRBA has gone encrypted. Even the parking lot and admin, nothing heard.