Delay in broadcast(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlittle

Premium Subscriber
I monitor the Atlanta Police Zone 2, 5 and Fire Dispatch feed and I've noticed with fire dispatch there is sometimes a two to five minute lag in what I'm hearing. What I mean is that I live about a quarter mile from Atlanta fire station 30 and they will pass by responding to a call and I'll just be hearing it dispatched. Is the problem on my end or is there a built-in delay similar to commercial radio stations?

ilgrant

I've heard delays of 30 seconds or more before. It could be the nature of the internet, the servers or by design from the person providing the feed.

Very unlikely the problem is on your end.

fredva

Feed Provider
These are "near real-time" broadcasts, not exactly real-time. A five-minute delay would seem unusual though - 30 seconds to a minute is more common based on my experience.

wlittle

Premium Subscriber
I might have been a little off on the delay . . . because I monitored it yesterday after posting this thread and the delay was something like 30 seconds. I really appreciate the replies because I'm still a relatively new Amateur Radio operator and I'm trying to learn all that I can about radio transmission(s) and their behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.