Digital Decoding Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
kruser, that doesn't necessarily mean that the virus *originated* in the Sorcerer executable file. Most of the noted viruses will attach itself to any EXE file.

I do understand that. I was just pointing out that this is what's shown when scanning the file immediately after a fresh download yesterday.
I never once thought the original creation was infected on purpose.
I err on the cautious side however and in my book it is worth checking out when several scanners show a suspect hit.

With that said I did run the executable on a honeypot machine last night and found nothing suspicious at all.

Last edited:

GKolo

Just downloaded the software and it was decoding, But no clue what it was or how to use the software. I was tuned to 12015

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect Joe was thinking that Sorcerer might be a copy of an older Hoka decoder- those used a proprietary dongle to feed the signal into a serial port.

If that were true - and I don't really know one way or the other - and Hoka found out, that guy would likely have a lawsuit as fast as fleas get on a dog.

My vote would be it's a crack of a SkySweeper application (they sold decoding software to the hobbyists until a year or two ago), but I could easily be wrong...Mike

freewave

sourcer dont have hardly any image modes, just simple fax mode. It list many slow scan modes yet there are none. I know other programs offer slow scan but I would like to have it all in one package.

brandon

Database Admin
I believe Sorcerer was a commercial program created by Avolena Services, which no longer exist so pretty much abandon-ware. I was looking at screenshots of Krypto500 and some of the decoder windows/text layouts looked quite similar to Sorcerer. Perhaps they bought the source code?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
sourcer dont have hardly any image modes, just simple fax mode. It list many slow scan modes yet there are none. I know other programs offer slow scan but I would like to have it all in one package.

In point of fact, many digital DXers have more than one package in their toolkit. There's no one package that does it all equally well, and some have better features than others. At times, too, mode-dedicated software works far and away better simply because it's devoted to one set of modes, so it can afford to be specialized. Don't limit yourself.

If you're looking for SSTV software, look no further than MM-SSTV - it's free, and highly respected. A good way to get your feet wet...

MMSSTV - MM HamSoft

best regards..Mike

freewave

I was just going by the link that was posted in this thread on page 1. The ad listed many modes I could not find. I was not aware mmsstv was free software but will give it a try. Thanks fellows for your replies.

Ron

mancow

Database Admin
I thought it was neat that it supports MDC1200. Plus, it's a very small program that doesn't require a bunch of cumbersome crap. I like the simple waveform breakout windows and all the RS232 output and radio control options.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Since this topic seems to be the first time I heard about Sorcerer.

How do you get it to decode? I can see the signal, put the marker in the correct place, decoder says it's decoding but I see nothing. Am I missing something?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The problem might be that the mode is wrong. As is written in our digital decoding wiki, there are MANY digital sigs on HF that will simply never be decoded. Part of the challenge is finding one that is. That's where logs such as those found on the UDXF are invaluable.

Mike

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
The problem might be that the mode is wrong. As is written in our digital decoding wiki, there are MANY digital sigs on HF that will simply never be decoded. Part of the challenge is finding one that is. That's where logs such as those found on the UDXF are invaluable.

Mike

Hmmmm. I just tried simple Morse code. Maybe I will try some other mode and see how that goes.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Most decoders will have a very hard time with CW. There are too many variations with the type of keying and any noise or propagation issues will defeat it. If you want to copy CW, the best decoder is the brain...

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For those that are joining us a bit late...this web page gives a pretty good summation of many packages that do digital decoding

Utility Monitoring Central

These are intended to be a bit more utilitarian, and not just devoted for mode(s) used in the ham bands.It's maintained on MT editor Mike Chace-Ortiz's website

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.