Digital Decoding Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
Isn't there software that you can connect your shortwave radio from the audio output from the Radio to the audio input of the PC to decode signals. beacons?

If so where do I get that software?

Thanks

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What specifically are you looking to decode? DGPS beacons on LW or something else?

Mike

k9rzz

Yes, there is lots of software out there to decode the digital signals on shorwave. Surely, the wiki has info.

For the beacons ... no software is necessary!
icon10.gif

morse-code.jpg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
DGPS beacons send more than just CW IDs as I understand it. I'm not much into this side of things, but DSCDecoder reportedly handles this mode.

The wiki doesn't have much on such packages, but the other website I help maintain certainly does...specifically

Utility Monitoring Central

Now these packages all pertain to comms in the HF band, so the question to the OT remains - are you looking to decode DGPS beacons or something else?

best regards..Mike

grogan

I have a Sangean ATS-909 and conect headphone jack to sound card and use FLDGI it doesnt have every mode but I can get Wefax weather maps, RTTY, CW,BPSK61 and 63 etc. you have to play around with the modes and learn how to tune in the signals you receive Good luck
W1HKJ Software try this site or search for the program there are many some free etc. you may need several programs for all the modes and some signals are encripet
I also have a program for receiving signals from space aliens but a special computer from another Galaxy is required. Good Luck Have fun!

K9WG

I have a Sangean ATS-909 and conect headphone jack to sound card and use FLDGI it doesnt have every mode but I can get Wefax weather maps, RTTY, CW,BPSK61 and 63 etc ... snip ...
I second FLDGI. It works well for most of the Amateur modes as well as some of the commercial ones. It is easy to use.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What 'commercial modes' (besides FAX) does FLDigi cover? All I see on the modems page are amateur only modes...Mike

SCPD

QRT
Sorcerer 1.0 is another good program for decoding digital signals.

FYI, you generally need a mid-range receiver to decode these digital signals. Portable SW receivers generally lack the narrow bandwidth that may be required. Obviously, you can still try but the portable radios can be frustrating to use for decoding.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One word - WOW. If it does even half of what it says, it pretty much blows most of the competition away.

Didn't see a price on it...best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I was just talking with Mike Chace-Ortiz (the MT editor) about this package - he says it's almost certainly a hack (I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a hack of Skysweeper, but I could be wrong), and that some virus checkers flagged a benign Trojan in it.

So the answer is clear - if you download it, do so to a separate drive, then put your virus checker on it and let it clean it up before you install it. A simple precaution...best regards..Mike

Intellifax

Just checked it with Avast and Malware Bytes, both report no problem. Wonder which virus/trojan checker he used, some are prone to false positives.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Symantec's Endpoint Protection 12.1.1000 also detects it as a Trojan.
It is just a generic trojan so it could ba a FP. I'm staying away from it for now though.
Online multi scanners like virustotal and jotti also result in multiple hits of malware so user beware.

SCPD

QRT
I've been using it for nearly a year and have no problems with it. It might be a "hack" in that it was source code that was recompiled with a new UI. That does not constitute a virus or a trojan.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've been using it for nearly a year and have no problems with it. It might be a "hack" in that it was source code that was recompiled with a new UI. That does not constitute a virus or a trojan.

Nearly 50% of the AV engines complain about it. See the link below.
The results in the link are from the extracted executable but scanning the packed zip file also produced the same results.

https://www.virustotal.com/file/0d1...23cdae654a71cb94eb10e14ddbe878c5000/analysis/

I may fire up an isolated machine tomorrow and watch for suspicious activity.
I do hope it is just a FP as it sure sounds interesting.

SCPD

QRT
kruser, that doesn't necessarily mean that the virus *originated* in the Sorcerer executable file. Most of the noted viruses will attach itself to any EXE file.

Status
Not open for further replies.