Discriminator tap for digital while still retaining AM?

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I've been pondering adding a discriminator tap to a Radio Shack PRO-2052 to use with DSDPlus FL in passive monitor mode. This seems fairly cut and dried. I would ideally like to repurpose this to monitor some local DMR/NXDN stuff and AM as well.

I know that the discriminator tap won't pass AM audio. Is there somewhere I could take AM audio off the scanner instead? I know that I could turn the scanner speaker up, but don't want to listen to the digital modulation when DSDPlus is doing it's thing.

I am also well aware that buying a BCD260DN will solve all my problems here. That's down the road, but not right now.

Is this hairbrained idea possible or am I chasing a fool's errand?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I've been pondering adding a discriminator tap to a Radio Shack PRO-2052 to use with DSDPlus FL in passive monitor mode. This seems fairly cut and dried. I would ideally like to repurpose this to monitor some local DMR/NXDN stuff and AM as well.

I know that the discriminator tap won't pass AM audio. Is there somewhere I could take AM audio off the scanner instead? I know that I could turn the scanner speaker up, but don't want to listen to the digital modulation when DSDPlus is doing it's thing.

I am also well aware that buying a BCD260DN will solve all my problems here. That's down the road, but not right now.

Is this hairbrained idea possible or am I chasing a fool's errand?
For what it's worth, when I used DSD on a nx48 system in the 460 MHz range, I used a GRE psr800, the unit had PC/IF cc dump. If you set IF out to HP you can use the headphone jack.

You probably know this but if there was any chance you could pick up any of the old Whistler radios that were designed from the original PSR 800 and then modified with keyboard, updates Etc. You might find it on the cheap.

merlin

After the AM detector and before any filtering. This should be a high impedance tap so you may need like an op amp after your tap.

Ubbe

I know that the discriminator tap won't pass AM audio. Is there somewhere I could take AM audio off the scanner instead?
You can get the service manual that will help a bit: Elektrotanya for electronics experts

The IC13 has two outputs at pin 1 and pin 7. One are WFM and the other AM and are an amplified and buffered signal that probably could be used.

/Ubbe

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I've been pondering adding a discriminator tap to a Radio Shack PRO-2052 to use with DSDPlus FL in passive monitor mode.

I would ideally like to repurpose this to monitor some local DMR/NXDN stuff and AM as well.

If you have an rtl sdr dongle, try FMP24 scanlist. You can program any mix of freqs, AM, FM and digital. If not, 30 dollar dongle would have that advantage over the disc tap.