DSD FME

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
SDRpp has been giving me issues on mint so I have not been able to test out the DMR trunking yet

Not quite sure what kind of problems you've had with SDR++. If its an issue with linking up or using rigctl, just make sure that both are started up and listening, and with audio, that its set to TCP output and not UDP output. The appropriate settings are in the image below.

Screenshot from 2022-12-28 14-47-47.png

Alternatively, if you do want to use GQRX, I wouldn't advise using the UDP audio connection, I made some attempts to make it work with DSD-FME, but I couldn't ever get frame sync out of it, despite being able to read the UDP samples just fine, so had some issues with that, but to be honest, you can just as easily use the virtual sink and have DSD-FME listen to that and then use the same RIGCTL method to control it, just make sure to hit the PC Network looking icon towards the top to turn on the 'Remote Control' for GWRX (rigctl) and then specify the port it wants, which I think is 7356 if memory serves. Here is a video or two of me demonstrating its use on GQRX, I made these along with the other ones I posted, I just forgot I post them.

Has anyone else had issues with the curses menu not responding? I just did a new mint install and I am woundering if this is issue with my setup or a known bug . Right now the menu will pop up about 60% of the time.

Yeah, it does that sometimes if there is no audio to listen to, not sure why, but the easy workaround for this is to open the 'pulse audio volume control' software, and just leave it open in the background. It usually happens to me in a Mint VM as well. I have no idea why opening volume control fixes it, but it does, thinking its something to do with the pulse server.

EDIT: I DO know why the menu is sluggish, I forgot, its because I close the pulse audio input and output instances when opening the menu to prevent a buffer overflow, so opening the pulse audio volume control is a quick work around to prevent the menu from being sluggish. It always responds, but it can take it a few seconds sometimes, and just leaving that open in the background keeps an application open on it and makes it disconnect and reconnect to pulse much faster, and I don't know why THAT behavior exists with pulse, but it does.

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Oh, also, should mention, if possible, use the nightly build 1.1.0 versions of SDR++, not the older 1.0.4 versions. I haven't tested those, but if you don't use the newer version, you're missing out on the better version.

613scanner

I have been able to setup sdr++ now . my issue with it was just getting it installed . I realized that I simply was using the wrong .deb package from the GitHub , I simply selected the incorrect version for what my mint install was based on. It worked perfectly once I tired the Jammy nightly release

I will test out the trunking more in the following days

usafeedman

First things first, I wanted to say congratulation to you @lwvmobile and more importantly a big thank you for all the work you have done in this great DSD version of yours. Lots of new useful features and improvements! The NXDN/DMR voice descrambler with known key option is one out of many other handy features of DSD-FME. However, I don’t see any possibility for the user to input a dPMR scrambler key. I imagine this mode is quite rare in the USA and that’s the reason why you didn’t implement it yet.

Being based in Europe, I can surely help you implement this trivial feature by providing you with both clear/scrambled dPMR raw samples with known keys from my own Kenwood radios. Actually, as you may know, the scrambling polynomial is the same as in NXDN (X^15 + X + 1). Should you need more detailed technical specification, I have it too. Just let me know where I can send you the samples and what you need exactly and I will gladly send it to you.

Many thanks again !

Cheers.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well, I do enjoy working on it (most days) anyways, so its been a learning experience, for sure. Yeah, from everything I've ever seen and heard, its the same lfsr method that nxdn scrambling uses. Its been quite a while since I've even touched dPMR, I don't get any requests or anything for it, but if you can provide clear and scrambler key samples of it, I should be able to work it in and fix it. You can PM me with good samples to work with, I should be able to implement hopefully fairly easily. My last contact who was going to supply me with clear and keyed sampled of dPMR just kind of dropped off and never came through, so I just never worked on it anymore after that.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Alright, y'all, dPMR scrambler is ready, come and get it while its hot.

I'll spare you all the details, just watch the video if you'd like.
Short version: All the features in 'main' are now on the precompiled version.
The info in in the readme and sh/bat files, etc.

Bonus Footage: First attempt at doing this with video with less than stellar results.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
I've got a very minor problem, and it may be the system I'm monitoring, but when monitoring a two frequency Capacity Plus system, it incorrectly reports rest channel 2 as the 2nd frequency, causing it to switch to frequency 2. Rest channels 1, 3 and 4 are correct.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I've got a very minor problem, and it may be the system I'm monitoring, but when monitoring a two frequency Capacity Plus system, it incorrectly reports rest channel 2 as the 2nd frequency, causing it to switch to frequency 2. Rest channels 1, 3 and 4 are correct.

What's your channel import file look like? For Capacity Plus, you'll need rest channels 1 and 2 to have the same frequency, 3 and 4 to have the same frequency, 5 and 6 the same, and 7 and 8 the same.

In the case of how DSD-FME handles capacity plus, its not really channels in a sense of RF channels, but rather logical timeslots, the whole LCN vs LSN thing, so for DSD-FME handling capacity plus, just make sure to double up the actual RF frequencies described above. Here is the default sample I included for capacity plus.

Code:
ChannelNumber(dec),frequency(Hz) (do not delete this line or won't import properly)

In the case of Connect Plus and TIII, however, the channel import is truly one channel, one frequency internally in DSD-FME.

Last edited:

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
For Capacity Plus, you'll need rest channels 1 and 2 to have the same frequency

That's it! I was kinda confused about that. Makes perfect sense as to why 1, 3 and 4 worked. I only had two lines, one for each freq. Works like a charm now! Just curious, why does SLCO report the rest channel as 3x? Like "SLCO Capacity Plus Rest Channel 35".

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
That's it! I was kinda confused about that. Makes perfect sense as to why 1, 3 and 4 worked. I only had two lines, one for each freq. Works like a charm now! Just curious, why does SLCO report the rest channel as 3x? Like "SLCO Capacity Plus Rest Channel 35".

Also, if its persistent, can you enable payload printing to console and scrape the sections that look like this, want to analyze the bytes for something. I could possibly getting too many bits in reading the rest channel.

Code:
 SLCO Capacity Plus Rest Channel 3
 SLCO Completed Block [F1][00][30][87][70]

and

Code:
12:06:12 Sync: +DMR  [slot1]  slot2  | Color Code=01 | CSBK
 Capacity Plus Channel Status - Rest Channel 3
  Ch1: Idle Ch2: Idle Ch3: Rest Ch4: Idle
  Ch5: Idle Ch6: Idle Ch7: Idle Ch8: Idle
 DMR PDU Payload [BE][10][C3][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][BA][DB]

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
That's a new one to me, shouldn't do that. Let me look at the code, see if something got stuck in there. Does it do it all the time, or just some random bad decode?

A frequent random. It doesn't appear to make any difference at all. I was just curious.

16:24:09 Sync: +DMR slot1 [slot2] | Color Code=04 | CSBK
16:24:09 Sync: +DMR [slot1] slot2 | Color Code=04 | CSBK
16:24:10 Sync: +DMR slot1 [slot2] | Color Code=04 | CSBK
16:24:10 Sync: +DMR [slot1] slot2 | Color Code=04 | CSBK
SLCO Capacity Plus Rest Channel 35
16:24:10 Sync: +DMR slot1 [slot2] | Color Code=04 | CSBK

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Also, if its persistent, can you enable payload printing to console and scrape the sections that look like this, want to analyze the bytes for something. I could possibly getting too many bits in reading the rest channel.

Yes, I'll do that asap. I've got a minor family emergency. Nothing serious...I hope.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
It was nothing, thankfully.

Code:
17:19:40 Sync: +DMR  [slot1]  slot2  | Color Code=04 | CSBK
 Capacity Plus Channel Status - Rest Channel 2
  Ch1: Idle Ch2: Rest Ch3: Idle Ch4: Idle 
 DMR PDU Payload [BE][10][C2][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][FD][08]
 SLCO CRC ERR
17:19:40 Sync: +DMR   slot1  [slot2] | Color Code=04 | CSBK
 DMR PDU Payload [BE][10][E2][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][86][60]
17:19:40 Sync: +DMR   slot1  [slot2] | Color Code=04 | CSBK
 DMR PDU Payload [BB][10][E2][21][12][00][00][00][00][00][03][43]
 DMR PDU Payload [BB][10][C2][21][12][00][00][00][00][00][78][2B]
 SLCO Capacity Plus Rest Channel 34
 SLCO Completed Block [F1][02][22][01][40]
Sync: no sync
Press CTRL + C to close.
17:19:41 Sync: +DMR   slot1  [slot2] | CACH/Burst FEC ERR
17:19:41 Sync: +DMR  [slot1]  slot2  | Color Code=04 | CSBK
17:19:41 Sync: +DMR   slot1  [slot2] | Color Code=04 | CSBK
 DMR PDU Payload [BE][10][E2][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][86][60]

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Okay, I think I see what's going on. I'm getting 8 bits for the rest channel currently, when in practice we only need the last 4 bits of that 8 bits. I'm assuming that the first 4 bits of that must be some other bit of information, so I'll make a quick adjustment, test it, and probably push the update here in a couple hours.