East Kentucky Power Cooperative (EKPC) - DMR VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
TG 79969 and TG 79970 were both active last night. A single key up on 79969 and 2 on 79970. 79970 was a dispatcher calling a unit however she had a rumbling sound effect coming from her mic making it hard to hear her traffic.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
Herad Somerset dispatching SKRECC on talk group 6000 last night and this morning I heard some testing on talk group 79975

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Herad Somerset dispatching SKRECC on talk group 6000 last night and this morning I heard some testing on talk group 79975
TG 6000 makes since on SKRECC system, I picked them up on the way back from TN the other day dispatching.

EKPC TG 79975 last I heard was Shelby Energy Dispatch/Service. 79908 was Casey County calling Winchester Ops Center and telling them to check in employees.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
TG 6000 makes since on SKRECC system, I picked them up on the way back from TN the other day dispatching.

EKPC TG 79975 last I heard was Shelby Energy Dispatch/Service. 79908 was Casey County calling Winchester Ops Center and telling them to check in employees.
I did hear them mention Shelby during the test.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I did hear them mention Shelby during the test.
I'd be willing to bet they are range testing and installing more radios. Shelby Dispatch seems to be active throughout the day but doesn't carry every talkgroup. I picked up the calling and large range testing talkgroups on the Harrison County tower but Henry and Anderson were silent.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
Heard the tail end of a transmission this afternoon, didn;t get what was said but it was TG 6003

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Couple of quick questions

Is there much traffic on this system or do you have to listen for long periods to hear anything?

Can you generally hear traffic with a handheld scanner (that obviously has DMR capability) that is not attached to an outside antenna?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Well, we were talking about two systems here for a moment. The 6000 series talk groups are referring to the SKRECC system. 70000 series talk groups are referring to the EKPC system. The SKRECC system seems to be very busy according to members in the area and from my personal monitoring. The EKPC system is still online but not used in full yet as they are still transitioning from an LTR system to this new DMR system. For SKRECC you won't be able to pick them up since you are in Lexington however the EKPC system has sites in Mercer, Garrard, and Powell counties and I get all 3 sites in Lexington on an external antenna. Portable coverage is spotty for Lexington since they don't service the area.

Here is the KU/LG&E system that is being used in Lexington and will be used more this year as it is being rolled out.

Note: Uniden and Whistler Tier 3 site details will not reflect the same as the RR DB. Uniden's and Whistlers decode differently than DSD or SDRTrunk and other programs, talk groups are the same and work across the board.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response. Currently I get the KU talk on their P25 system with no problems as well as Bluegrass Energy on their NXDN system. I am on BG Energy in southeast Fayette County. Just didn’t want to spend time loading something I couldn‘t hear and wonder if I loaded wrong or whether anything was even happening

Remington12G

GØT AES?
That's understandable. BG Energy is also a member of EKPC so I'm sure they will have 1 or 2 talk groups reserved on the new system but the NXDN system is great for them and sounds really good too. KU Conventional in Lex should be moving to DMR soon as they are phasing out P25 completely.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
TG 79908 appears to be a dedicated calling channel. This is the second Co-op I have heard call "Winchester".

Farmers RECC calling "Winchester". RID 78908 appears to be Winchester Ops Center radio, RID 75864 was Farmers RECC.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Had two other users call Winchester over the same talk group. The traffic from both was checking them in and out of operations.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
Talk group 6002 is Wayne County. We had several outages during the thunderstorms yesterday afternoon and last night.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
TG 79932 - Possibly EKPC Radio Support Group?
TG 79977 - Shelby Energy Coop Operations?

Minimal Traffic today logged on Harrison County Site

Remington12G

GØT AES?
TG 79969 - Pole Maintenace on the Harrison County Site, not sure of the location, caught traffic a little late. All licensed frequencies appear to be in use.

This is a Tait DMR System.

KW4EZR

Any info on the Morgan County, Licking Valley RECC, site? I do have an SDS100, but do not have the DMR upgrade. If the SDS100 is capable of finding this info and I had a little tutorial, I would purchase the upgrade to listen to this system and pass along the info. Would have loved to have had it during the ice storm. Thanks

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Any info on the Morgan County, Licking Valley RECC, site? I do have an SDS100, but do not have the DMR upgrade. If the SDS100 is capable of finding this info and I had a little tutorial, I would purchase the upgrade to listen to this system and pass along the info. Would have loved to have had it during the ice storm. Thanks
The SDS can follow the system and monitor talk groups however it will not decode site information correctly. I dont currently have any site information on the nearest tower but all sites use the ColorCode of 1. If you decide to buy the upgrade here are the frequencies for the West Liberty Site. Would love to know if this system is in use by smaller RECC's that are members of EKPC.

West Liberty KY (Morgan) - Old Rte 172 2.4 mi NE of
+37°56' 31.3", -83° 13' 13.6"
37.94202, -83.22044

KW4EZR

The SDS can follow the system and monitor talk groups however it will not decode site information correctly. I dont currently have any site information on the nearest tower but all sites use the ColorCode of 1. If you decide to buy the upgrade here are the frequencies for the West Liberty Site. Would love to know if this system is in use by smaller RECC's that are members of EKPC.

West Liberty KY (Morgan) - Old Rte 172 2.4 mi NE of
+37°56' 31.3", -83° 13' 13.6"
37.94202, -83.22044

My part of KY has few trunked systems, not my strong suit. Does it need to be but in, any certain way? Just as a DMR system? Is there a LCN order or anything?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
My part of KY has few trunked systems, not my strong suit. Does it need to be but in, any certain way? Just as a DMR system? Is there a LCN order or anything?
If I remember correctly with DMR on Uniden's it needs to go in as a MOTOTRBO system or whatever the option is, not DMR1FREQ. Since you have an SDS the LCN order can be 0 for all the freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.