Fairfield PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELITEscanner

Does anyone in here monitor Fairfield PD? I have heard maybe 1 or 2 transmissions all day today. Although Fairfield is not a "Newark" type of area, it is still busier than what I am hearing.
I have a FL set up with about 23 departments on it; but, when I go to listen to that list, it only sees 16 departments. Also, I know Fairfield is on NJICS; and, that system has been set up properly as far as sites (I have all sites avoided except for W.O. simulcast). I have added "Fairfield Police - Dispatch" and "Fairfield Police - Tactical". Those are the only 2 choices I have for them. Should I be adding their old frequency as well?
Just getting frustrating because that is the main dept. I want to monitor.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

N2NHL

Does anyone in here monitor Fairfield PD? I have heard maybe 1 or 2 transmissions all day today. Although Fairfield is not a "Newark" type of area, it is still busier than what I am hearing.
I have a FL set up with about 23 departments on it; but, when I go to listen to that list, it only sees 16 departments. Also, I know Fairfield is on NJICS; and, that system has been set up properly as far as sites (I have all sites avoided except for W.O. simulcast). I have added "Fairfield Police - Dispatch" and "Fairfield Police - Tactical". Those are the only 2 choices I have for them. Should I be adding their old frequency as well?
Just getting frustrating because that is the main dept. I want to monitor.

Thanks in advance!

They were busy this weekend and I hear them all the time on NJICS. However, I've heard no activity today so far. Maybe its a slow day, thus far..

markjrenna

I monitor Fairfield PD and Fire. PD is on NJICS off WO. Fire is not on NJICS. Heard PD just before. Fairfield like many west Essex towns are not too active. But when they are they are... Keep monitoring.

ELITEscanner

They were busy this weekend and I hear them all the time on NJICS. However, I've heard no activity today so far. Maybe its a slow day, thus far..
I was listening as well this weekend; and, didn't hear much. I knew something was wrong when I saw cops at a house down the street but had heard nothing over the scanner. That was when I was helped out and realized I had to just have WO Simulcast as the only site on NJICS. You just have the dispatch and tactical stations programmed? Is there anything I am missing?

ELITEscanner

I monitor Fairfield PD and Fire. PD is on NJICS off WO. Fire is not on NJICS. Heard PD just before. Fairfield like many west Essex towns are not too active. But when they are they are... Keep monitoring.
Yes, I know FFFD is not on NJICS...I just have them on my fav list. I hear them because I get the test every night at 6. I know FFPD is not a real busy town; but, I know they have more than 1 or 2 transmissions per day LOL

NParkNJ

On the Road
I heard them back when I had both of my XT’s and now my 996P2.
I’ve heard them the past few days, sporadically on West Orange and occasionally Ramapo.

ELITEscanner

I just heard a burst from Fairfield PD. Not much this morning, but the day is young.
I heard a burst as well. I have been listening to FF for years now on an old scanner. Then, I stopped hearing them because they switched to P25..that is why I switched to a new scanner because a lot of departments were going to switch over to digital. I was in law enforcement; so, I know that there are slow shifts every now and then. But, Fairfield had always been a department with steady radio traffic Plus, hearing a car get sent somewhere and then hearing nothing after that seems very odd especially since they will radio their arrival and departure at the very least.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
I heard a burst as well. I have been listening to FF for years now on an old scanner. Then, I stopped hearing them because they switched to P25..that is why I switched to a new scanner because a lot of departments were going to switch over to digital. I was in law enforcement; so, I know that there are slow shifts every now and then. But, Fairfield had always been a department with steady radio traffic Plus, hearing a car get sent somewhere and then hearing nothing after that seems very odd especially since they will radio their arrival and departure at the very least.

I had an HP-2, as you do, for sometime and it handled simulcast, specifically NJICS, very poorly. There’s a high possibility your scanner just cannot keep track with the system and you are just missing the transmissions all together. While the majority of traffic did come across, it was seriously distorted on that scanner. I used a “paper clip” antenna for a while and a coffee can (seriously) around a standard antenna to help with the LSM issues but the improvement was minimal at best.

ELITEscanner

I had an HP-2, as you do, for sometime and it handled simulcast, specifically NJICS, very poorly. There’s a high possibility your scanner just cannot keep track with the system and you are just missing the transmissions all together. While the majority of traffic did come across, it was seriously distorted on that scanner. I used a “paper clip” antenna for a while and a coffee can (seriously) around a standard antenna to help with the LSM issues but the improvement was minimal at best.
What scanner do you have now? Are you able to listen to NJICS without hopping on one foot while reciting the pledge of allegiance and eating a hot dog? LOL I am more than willing to return this one and get the scanner you have if in fact you can hear 100% of NJICS traffic without all the loopholes to do it
Thanks!

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
What scanner do you have now? Are you able to listen to NJICS without hopping on one foot while reciting the pledge of allegiance and eating a hot dog? LOL I am more than willing to return this one and get the scanner you have if in fact you can hear 100% of NJICS traffic without all the loopholes to do it
Thanks!

I have SDS-200s now. I monitor NJICS and the Bergen County TRS which is notorious for frustrating scanner users. They perform excellent and were definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

ELITEscanner

I have SDS-200s now. I monitor NJICS and the Bergen County TRS which is notorious for frustrating scanner users. They perform excellent and were definitely worth the investment in my opinion.
I see that is a base scanner. I really wanted a mobile one; so, it could be transported easily. Will any of the other SDS models work just as well?

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
I see that is a base scanner. I really wanted a mobile one; so, it could be transported easily. Will any of the other SDS models work just as well?

The 100 is the mobile model. I don’t have any experience with it but it’s the same scanner essentially.

ELITEscanner

The 100 is the mobile model. I don’t have any experience with it but it’s the same scanner essentially.
OK..cool. I think I will return this HP scanner and get that mobile one. The mobile one doesn't seem to have the preloaded database though which was nice to have on this HP

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 does have the database on board. I use an HP 2 on NJICS 24/7 and it comes in crystal clear. I must be in a sweet spot. Fairfield is like the rest of West Essex, long periods of silence, and then nonstop traffic for awhile. As long as you have West Orange simulcast enabled you will hear Fairfield.

NParkNJ

On the Road
So, should I have Ramapo in addition to WO?

It all depends what is in range for you.

I actually to prefer to listen to WO, but my QTH is up in Ringwood. Ramapo comes blasting in, even with an all band collapsable antenna.

As for Fairfield, I would think they primarily come over WO. I was just noting I do hear them on Ramapo.

But for some reason(maybe my location), they always came in nicely no matter where I was in when in range on the road. Maybe because they have Phase 1 TG’s.

But as others will allude to, the SDS series is best for NJICS. I happen to get fairly good reception on my 996p2. Maybe its just my particular setup.
Worst case experiment with placement(I’ve noticed at home, sometimes mere inches is a big difference.

N2NHL

Must be a busy call center, as there always seems to be a lot of background activity. It's like telemarketer kind of call center activity. Oh well. They always come in clear on NJICS from where I am in Belleville near the Arlington Diner.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Stick with West Orange for Fairfield. They are full-time on that site. You will hear them on Ramapo occasionally if and only if a unit on that talk group affiliates to that site. They are not that busy as other said. Only PD is on NJICS.

ELITEscanner

Stick with West Orange for Fairfield. They are full-time on that site. You will hear them on Ramapo occasionally if and only if a unit on that talk group affiliates to that site. They are not that busy as other said. Only PD is on NJICS.
I know Fairfield is not that busy. I had been monitoring them since the mid 80s up until they changed. However, I am not receiving complete transmissions. I used to hear crystal clear on my old scanner before they switched. But, like today, I heard a transmission that was from an officer already on a call. I did not hear the dispatch, the officer arriving or the officer clearing. So, I think it’s an issue with my HP. Plus, the battery life sucks on it. I am returning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.