FCC amateur data to kml/kmz?

Fox4

Is it possible to export FCC amateur radio data of a certain area to kml or kmz?

I see there is a website that does place hams on a map to find who's around you. So I suspect its possible.

What I'm wanting to do is incorporate that information in making RF coverage maps. So when you produce a repeater coverage map. You can overlay that data onto it. Then see the amount of hams in the area that could benefit from the coverage.

I msg the maker of the RF coverage map software. To try and add that feature, but they seem to think its illegal. IDK why because its already being done on websites worldwide. Being a ham isnt some secret society..

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Yes, license data from zip codes could be parsed and geo-coded. This would show PO Box locations for some licensees.

An individual doing this is one thing, an entity doing it is another. I could understand reticence in doing this for privacy reasons. No doubt database miners have done this already and utilize the data for whatever......

nd5y

What I'm wanting to do is incorporate that information in making RF coverage maps. So when you produce a repeater coverage map. You can overlay that data onto it. Then see the amount of hams in the area that could benefit from the coverage.
That would be a waste of time. You can't make a decent repeater coverage map without knowing the antenna height, transmit ERP, receive sensitivity and total system gain/loss for each user's station(s). You don't know what equipmment every ham is using.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This should give you an idea of how to pull the data from the database, just change categories to meet your needs.

Attachments

• Google Earth FCC Data.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 8

Fox4

That would be a waste of time. You can't make a decent repeater coverage map without knowing the antenna height, transmit ERP, receive sensitivity and total system gain/loss for each user's station(s). You don't know what equipmment every ham is using.
You're over thinking it there. I've been mapping RF for over 20yrs. I've been doing repeaters nearly as long. I don't need to know every hams station specs for this. All I need to know is the repeater specs & then create various maps based off of typical data. Like using an HT at 57 inches off the ground or a mobile or base. All that side of the data can be set as a generalization to produce a coverage map that targets the general audience. I just wanted to import fcc data to plot hams on the map also. So I can get a gauge of the number of possible users in an area that might benefit.