FCC data base "Frequency" modifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
In the FCC database, some numerical frequencies are followed by a space then an upper-case letter "V."

An example is callsign WPTE977, licensed to Georgetown, County of (S.C.), Site 2, Pawleys Isl, 3700 West of City off US 17 on Dump Road:
853.23750000 V
853.35000000 V.

What does the "V" signify, and are there other letter appendages?

Paul

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
I see this in the results of a FCC "Site / Frequency / Market Search Results" "Universal Licensing System Database -- Sites" with the following "Search Criteria":
"Frequency Range = 853 MHz through 861 MHz, Computed Box Based on Point/Radius: Center = 33 47' 48" N 78 43' 36" W, Radius = 25 Miles, Currently Licensed and Pending Facilities"

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Me...ortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num&limit_select=4

Sorry, not smart enough to know how to have put the above as a link.

Paul

nd5y

V means vertical polarization. Not all licenses have an entry for antenna polarization. It shows up on the Antenna # field on the Locations tab on the license.

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I see the "V -- Vertical" in the "Polarization" field for "Antenna 1."

Seems to me that it would be rare to have horizontal polarization for mobile and handheld transceivers.

Paul

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
Should have expressed my thinking more clearly.

If vertical polarization is far more common than horizontal polarization, I'm surprised that it would be noted. It's "unremarkable."

On the other hand, it would be useful to have the FCC's database notate a numerical frequency with the appendage "H" -- for horizontal polarization -- but I haven't seen any examples of that practice.

Paul

nd5y

Other services besides LMR use horizontal and other polarization types.
There is a list of valid ones at https://wireless2.fcc.gov/helpfiles/licenseSearch/helpMicrowave.html

Polarization—Polarization of the transmitting signal, valid codes are
D—Rotating
E—Elliptical
F—45 Degrees
H—Horizontal
J—Linear
L—Left Hand Circular
R—Right hand circular
S—Horizontal and Vertical
T—Right and Left hand circular
V—Vertical
X—Other