Finally downloaded MultiPSK

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisindot

Well, on the advice of folks here, I finally decided to download the demo for MultiPSK to see about getting some CW and utilities action from my JRC NRD 545.

MANNNN, does it have one of the UGLIEST and most confusing interfaces ever!

Still, I got it all connected up. Signal out from the headphone jack into my outboard audio interface (which I use for music recording). Only bad thing is that the cable head broke and got stuck in the headphone jack (that's the story of another post), So I used the front panel record jack instead.

I started with the general RX screen to see how it received CW. I pressed various CW related buttons and nothing really came in on the text read screen.

Then I stumbled onto the "CW Panoramic " screen.

Wow.

I've been struggling for two weeks to get a CD read from my MCJ 461, which decodes about 20% of what it hears, even strong signals. CW Panoramic decoded just about everything--strong signals, weak signals, fast signals, noisy signals with almost no missed characters.

Wow. That alone will probably convince me to pay the full fee. Next step is try some of the other modes.

Suzie

LarrySC

I tried it on my Yaesu 8800. Just gave up after a while. Dorkey is the word. Not user friendly. I do have a Universal M400 for RTTY. Now that is a great item. Works perfect. Someone needs to make a cheat sheet for the multi PSK.

raisindot

Folks try searching for DM780. I use it all of the time for my amateur radio use. Digital Master 780

Thanks for the tip. A much cleaner interface. I've installed to my laptop but haven't connected yet. Can I use this without the radio control application, since I don't have a serial port on my PC and don't want it to control my radio anyway?

Also, should this begin to work as soon as I plug my audio cable in from my 545--i.e., will it begin decoding CW?

Suzie

KC9GWK

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can use DM780 as a stand alone. No need to ever fire up the control portion. And as soon as you plus in your unit, you should see the audio on the "waterfall."
Good luck.

D

DaveNF2G

DM780 can be used without the HRD programs. I use it that way myself with my transceiver. As long as your soundcard settings are correct, you should have no trouble decoding signals.

Hand-sent CW can be problematic because the software looks for absolute regularity of character formation and spacing. Most humans aren't that good at it. I'm not sure how tolerant DM780 is of variations in Morse Code sending because I don't use software for that particular mode.

raisindot

DM780 can be used without the HRD programs. I use it that way myself with my transceiver. As long as your soundcard settings are correct, you should have no trouble decoding signals.

Hand-sent CW can be problematic because the software looks for absolute regularity of character formation and spacing. Most humans aren't that good at it. I'm not sure how tolerant DM780 is of variations in Morse Code sending because I don't use software for that particular mode.

Okay, I downloaded it and installed it. I know I'm getting an audio signal, and it looks like I'm set up to "RX" everything. However, I can't seem to "see" any letters displayed from the code it's receiving. Is there a certain window/terminal/screen that shows "received text"? In MultiPSK it's right there on the screen.

Suzie

k8krh

As mentioned download mixw, or fldigi no problems with those FREE programs

DOCTOR

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
maybe this will help

multipsk.jpg

raisindot

guess you guys did realize your replying to a six month old thread :) :)

Hey, that doesn't matter. I STILL haven't gotten it to decode anything. Heck, I don't even know how to get the "Receive pane" up there. DM780 is complete useless for me. I really could use a good "decoding for dummies" book or user's manual. I don't understand any of this stuff, and the web sites I've seen are so full of jargon that it's very frustrating.

Jeff

N0IU

Getting just about any program to transmit may be confusing, but receiving should be a piece of cake. Here is a screen shot I just captured a few minutes ago using DM780. The first thing is you have to do is tune your radio to the right place. For PSK31, the 20 meter spot is 14.070.15 USB.

Select BPSK-31 in the upper left corner and then left click the "M" on the slider on one of the waterfall tracks and that is pretty much all there is to it... really!

And I gotta ask...
Why are some of your posts signed by Suzie and some by Jeff??

Last edited:

raisindot

Thanks, Scott. I'll give it a try.

"Suzie" used to be my alias around here. It's my nickname for my Suzui Boulevard. Jeff is the real name.

Jeff/Suzie/Whatever.

k8krh

I have mixw yep your right $50, and multipsk I still have the sample version, it works fine on packet for aprs but havent heard anyone on other packet frequency.

It does have ALE I noticed..but no little about it, was just interested in packet...

DOCTOR

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a brief description of ALE (no, not the kind you drink!) in our wiki...

ALE - The RadioReference Wiki

A LOT of agencies, both here and abroad, use ALE. Keeping an eye on the UDXF Yahoo group makes this very easy to see.

73 Mike

k8krh

OK here is the BIGGGG question....
It shows that PACTOR 1, works, I have tried it it is xmiting something on Multipsk..But I noticed on another forum they say it receives only???? anyone ever try it on pactor 1???? and make a connect.

DOCTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.