Firefox problems anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'll be on firefox to look stuff up or be on here and I'll be listening to youtube on IE and it will freeze up and make buzz sounds or slows the video down bad......... Than firefox will close it self for no reason... I am using the new FF and running windows7.....

r_eugene1

I'll be on firefox to look stuff up or be on here and I'll be listening to youtube on IE and it will freeze up and make buzz sounds or slows the video down bad......... Than firefox will close it self for no reason... I am using the new FF and running windows7.....
I was a Firefox user for a while but had too many problems with it so (running slow, getting booted and freezing) I switched over to Google Chrome and so far no problems. Chrome is a lot faster in my opinion.
My stepson is running Windows7 and Chrome and swears its the best. I myself am using Windows XP and runs trouble free with Chrome!

bezking

Firefox can be a pretty awful resource hog, especially on older systems. I wouldn't be so quick to point a finger at IE in this instance. Next time this happens, right click your taskbar and open Task Manager, and check out how much RAM and/or CPU firefox is using. I'll bet it will surprise you!

K9WG

That is interesting. I run FF on a Win-XP and Win-7 without any problem at all. It's IE that keeps wanting to change things and run my system for me...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
FireFox

I have been running FF up through the versions (now at 6) and will likely switch browsers rather than "upgrade" to v7. No sooner than they released 7.0 and they reported a problem.

FF is too slow, a huge resource hog, often appears to "hang" but will eventually become responsive again. It seems to always be doing something in the background, even if I am just sitting at a page (could be any site). It is not very well thought out and nags to be upgraded and the most inopportune time, and has no place (that I've found) to do the upgrade manually when I am idle.

It doesn't matter if you open multiple tabs or multiple "instances", because if one window/tab hangs, they're all non-responsive. In the beginning I chalked it up to being new, but each "update" has only gotten worse. Additionally, there are features in other browsers that it does not have; and most of the "new features" are things I could care less about.

W2NJS

My FF usually refuses to open my AOL mail in the full version and insists that I use the basic version. I then switch to IE and IE opens the full version immediately, but otherwise FF works okay for me. Based on what you guys wrote I'm going to give Chrome a try.

OCO

Chrome is a legal keylogger

I don't know what a "legal keylogger" would be, but the issue that I assume you're referring to is more than three years old and was false positives on some malware detection packages caused by caused by the Search AutoComplete code of Google's search function. It wasn't restricted to just Chrome, it also could show up any place the Google toolbar was used. You could shut off the feature, but what's the difference - if you're searching, once you've hit "send", it's out there anyway, regardless of what browser you're using.

bezking

Chrome is a legal keylogger
No.

What I think you are referring to is called the two percent rule. In a very specific case, Google will log a random 2% of what you type into the address bar (called the "omnibox").

However, if you disable "Chrome Instant" (which I believe is disabled by default) and the Address Bar Prediction Service, no logging will occur.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what a "legal keylogger" would be, but the issue that I assume you're referring to is more than three years old and was false positives on some malware detection packages caused by caused by the Search AutoComplete code of Google's search function. It wasn't restricted to just Chrome, it also could show up any place the Google toolbar was used. You could shut off the feature, but what's the difference - if you're searching, once you've hit "send", it's out there anyway, regardless of what browser you're using.

Google Toolbar? Every Google product is privacy-invasive malware. There's no difference between Google Toolbar and the thousands of key-logging malware toolbars.

Firefox has add-ons (such OptimizeGoogle, Adblock Plus, and BlockSite) to help me block them out and/or screw with their tracking of me. In addition, tweaking with about:config lets me get rid of the stuff they paid off Firefox to include.

Google tracks everything and sends it straight to the federal government. Replace "federal government" with "organized crime" in that sentence and you have the definition of malware. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Google product on my machine. If I ever absolutely need Earth or something it's wiped out when I'm finished.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
No.

What I think you are referring to is called the two percent rule. In a very specific case, Google will log a random 2% of what you type into the address bar (called the "omnibox").

However, if you disable "Chrome Instant" (which I believe is disabled by default) and the Address Bar Prediction Service, no logging will occur.

2% of the world's population is over 125,000,000 people. Prediction service? lol

Last edited:

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I run the "new" FF on a Ubuntu/Linux PC and a Win7 laptop, no issues at all here.

Are you running any third party add-ons / extensions that could be causing the issue? Does this issue happen with only one browser running? or does it only happen when you run both browsers together?

I am a bit curious as to why you are running both browsers at the same time anyways? You can 'listen to' YouTube and browse the web within FF at the same time, that's what tabs are for. Just open YouTube in it's own tab, and use other tabs to browse, etc. ;)

Last edited:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I use FF 7 with Ubuntu 11.04 32 and 64 bit installations and it runs rock solid for me. As I type this I'm trying Chromium on my 32 bit laptop Ubuntu install and it works fine too, but got a little flaky during configuration. But in countless setups running numerous different OS's I have had little to no problems with Firefox, and I consider it my #1 browser.

Warbirdhunter

The only issue I've had the past couple days W/ Fire fox 8.0 is a little warning on the bottom of the screen about not syncing correctly. Other wise I like Fire Fox. Just my view though.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
The only issue I've had the past couple days W/ Fire fox 8.0 is a little warning on the bottom of the screen about not syncing correctly. Other wise I like Fire Fox. Just my view though.

8's out? I'm currently using 7. Or is 8 the testing version series now?

Status
Not open for further replies.