SDS100/SDS200: Firmware Release 1.07.00-1.07.04 Main / 1.02.00 Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is not that complicated. Take the time to read the whole thread from the first post till now, it takes some time but maybe just read my posts. This is not rocket science. Read the whole thread. It's very self-explanatory.

ScanYak

Feed Provider
Yeah... I got a clipboard full of notes and numbers. I wanted so much for the new fw to be an improvement so I listen to and tried every combination over the first 30 hours after it came out.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I parked on the local weather channel and found a 10dB loss of signal when using Normal. Invert or Original produced the best results.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes unless you can reverse the update by going to, Original, you might have a problem with your local VHF weather dispatch. Come on guys, read the whole thread.

Last edited:

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
This is an update to my earlier posts (see #22, #24, and #27). I've been running my SDS100 with the filter set to Original (I haven't updated to the latest version), and everything has been running fine (as I noted in #27). Not wanting to leave well enough alone, after seeing so many positive reports, I decided to do some testing. I've repeated the results of my first test (see #22 & #24), unfortunately I wasn't able to repeat my fix (see #27). The signal strength on my local simulcast tower, which is normally -40 or -45 strength, was running -96 or worse, and the error rate was high enough that the audio was noticeably broken. I cycled power numerous times, to no avail. I ended up reverting to v1.05.00 main and v1.01.05 sub. I may try upgrading again to see if I have the same results. If it does, I guess I'll call Uniden on Monday.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
**possible bug report***
I noticed that after loading 1.07.02, the last FL to load at boot-up took forever to load.
Re-booted multiple times, always the same slow load on last FL.
I thought that maybe the FL had an issue, so I first disabled it.
Upon boot-up the last FL (different one now) did the same thing.
Even if I actually deleted the last one, same.

I thought maybe there was some SD corruption, so I cleared and completely reloaded.
Same behavior.

Reverted to1.07.00 and issue immediately went away.
(did noting in Sentinel, so this issue is definitely in the radio.

Has anyone else noted this (slow load on last FL) behavior with 1.07.02?

gillham

Feed Provider
So I did some very unscientific testing on 1.07.00.
I've been meaning to drive over to a local cell tower that always made my BCD436HP go silent when on the highway. I was curious how the SDS100 compared, and now with the new filters.
Between filter setting changes, I power cycled the SDS100. At one point I decided it was pointless keeping the BCD436HP up there.
If you hear low audio - that's the APX7000. If you hear loud (and very crackly audio), it's the SDS100.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Whew... again and again, this is not that complicated. Read this thread from the beginning. It's pretty cut and dry. No need for all these numbers and calculations and predictions and summations. Read how it happened. Upman was obviously not following the beta testers of the update in the initial hour or two of the update. This is a no-brainer. Stop wasting your time. This will be fixed... I guess unless we live in some Bizarro world and then you have the option of never updating from the original update release. I would be happy with that as this is the best update for performance than we've ever had as long as you stay on
0.7.00...geeeez. I'm sorry but enough already.

baayers

Please add my name to the list of people who are requesting the original option be brought back as a filter choice.

Before I talk about the bad I will give credit for the good. I am in Largo Florida and with 1.07 I can now finally here the weather frequency out of Riverview which is our main weather radio station. Prior to this update the marine weather radio tower that is not far from me here in Largo completely killed everything on VHF above 150 MHz. Using the invert selection I can now hear Riverview clearly. There is not a lot of VHF and UHF traffic in this area but comparing several ham repeaters and Business frequencies I now find The 100 to be slightly better than my 436. This is an improvement considering prior to this update the 436 was running circles around it.

Now for the bad. Prior to the update I had no problems picking up any of the sites for the Pinellas County P25 system. After installing the update I now find that site 4 when the filter is set to either normal or inverted completely misses about 75% of the traffic and what it does pick up it is severely choppy. Once I set the filter to original everything once again becomes loud and clear and the scanner is receiving all transmissions.

Site 4 P25 errors over 30 minutes
Normal filter 85-100+
Inverted filter 90-100+
Original filter 0-18

The normal and inverted filters are also preventing me from successfully locking on to the Hillsboro county P25 700 MHz west side control channel. Switching to original once again allows the scanner to lock on and follow it.

I honestly do not understand why considering several people had already brought up similar issues to mine why they decided to go ahead and take away the original option. Hopefully they will see that this is not just a one person occurrence and bring it back. If not there will be a lot of people like myself stuck on 1.0 7.00.

Peerlessk

Think of me as living inside a circle ,small town . Everything I scan is 17-20 miles every direction minimum . So the “quote” RF upgrade has helped weak signals significantly. I too am keeping the 1.07 with the “original” option . How has the upgrade helped me . Radio crackle noise on distant hits is a lot less with normal setting on analog signals/hits.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Please add my name to the list of people who are requesting the original option be brought back as a filter choice.
Now for the bad. Prior to the update I had no problems picking up any of the sites for the Pinellas County P25 system. After installing the update I now find that site 4 when the filter is set to either normal or inverted completely misses about 75% of the traffic and what it does pick up it is severely choppy. Once I set the filter to original everything once again becomes loud and clear and the scanner is receiving all transmissions.

Site 4 P25 errors over 30 minutes
Normal filter 85-100+
Inverted filter 90-100+
Original filter 0-18

The normal and inverted filters are also preventing me from successfully locking on to the Hillsboro county P25 700 MHz West side control channel. Switching to original once again allows the scanner to lock on and follow it.

Have you tried going to the “sites” that are giving you trouble with the Global filter set at “Normal” and changing the “Site” filter to Original (or Inverted)? This should give you better overall performance; at least it seems to work for me.

Also, this can be used on conventional channels by going to the “Department” level and changing the Filter to Original (or Inverted) there only.

Last edited:

gillham

Feed Provider
Think of me as living inside a circle ,small town . Everything I scan is 17-20 miles every direction minimum . So the “quote” RF upgrade has helped weak signals significantly. I too am keeping the 1.07 with the “original” option . How has the upgrade helped me . Radio crackle noise on distant hits is a lot less with normal setting on analog signals/hits.

So it sounds like you’re not using the ‘Original’ setting. Out of curiosity, why stay at 1.07 then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So it sounds like you’re not using the ‘Original’ setting. Out of curiosity, why stay at 1.07 then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason you want to keep the original setting is in case you have that one Rogue system or conventional Channel that the reception is weakened or compromised by the global setting of normal. Just like you may find a system that is improved by inverted. You leave Global on normal but then customize systems site by site by site to original or inverted. Everything else will stay on normal.

I am actually finding that in global normal I am having difficulties with my local Airport. I can no longer hear the tower. I went in and put that one frequency on original even though Global is normal and now I can hear the tower again.

My local P2 system has never come in well with this radio with broken Transmissions. My Global setting is on normal but on that system I took the single site called simulcast and made it inverted. It works better. Hallelujah.

As so many people here have said it's imperative that we have that option of original for those systems or conventional channels that are compromised by both normal and inverted filters.

This is really simple stuff here and this update to come in the future is a big step to improving the radio. If the new update was not to come out for some Oddball reason then we can at least stay on 1.7.00, I will never update again if I can keep the radio working like this on the original update. I call it the original update because it gives you the original option. We have beaten this to death and we knew this before the later update came out and I just assume upman didn't see the chorus a people saying don't take away the original option.

Again if this is not made right with a new update so we can continue to update our radios in the future keeping the original option then I will never update again. I also will not buy an SDS 200.

I assume this will all be taken care of with the new update restoring the original option ASAP.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
How about we...

Let others express their opinion (as long as it's not the same thing exact over and over and over).
Not tell others what they can and can't post (if you feel something is inappropriate report it).

Sound like a plan? (And don't reply to this since it will add more posts to this already way too long thread).

K9JLR

Having traveled over the weekend to Illinois and Iowa, monitoring analog VHF/UHF, P25 and a Harris analog 800 MHz trunked system, I'm getting lower dB readings across the board, just scanning the general database with GPS, with the Global -> Original setting. That's even on the P25 Starcom system. When scanning at home on specifically programmed systems, some of the aforementioned individuals settings produce better results, e.g., normal or inverted.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

K9JLR

Using 1.07.02 stock no changes I was getting the ILL p25 site mobile 30 miles south of Paducah for the first time that was about a 20 mile gain.
What global filter setting are you finding best works on the Starcom site that you're monitoring?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but here's an issue that I have found while monitoring my local P25 Phase I trunked radio system:

When you have the display settings set to show the Unit ID (either Unit ID and/or Unit ID Name), the scanner displays the Unit ID/Name correctly even on quick key ups after one user stops talking. There's no issue either when actively recording the transmissions. HOWEVER, when going back and replaying the recorded transmissions, the Unit ID/Name seems to get lost or can't keep up.

For example, when User A keys up, his UID will show, however when Control keys up, it will still show User A's UID, and then when User A keys up to reply, it will show Control's UID. This only seems to happen when users are talking back to back. The issue doesn't happen where there's "long" gaps between transmissions.

Again, this doesn't appear when the transmissions are happening live, only when replaying the recordings.

This didn't happen on the 1.05.01 firmware, and I've even decided to go back to that firmware for the time being.

Our local system is in the midst of a transition from SmartZone to P25 P1 and I enjoy tracking and logging the new UIDs. To do that, I leave the radio recording and then go back later and log what UIDs I have found and don't have remembered already. So the UID lag can mess that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.