FM simplex activity in your area

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

I live in Northern NJ close to the NY border and every now and then I hear something, but not as much as you would think. I actually have had quite a few qsos with someone in Monmouth County, roughly 50-60 miles away

w2rea

We like to go to simplex for a good rag chew so we don't tie up the repeater. Also, not as many people listening to the conversation. One of the local clubs also has a net once a week.

IndyRick

Good thread, Bob! (W9RXR and I both live on the outskirts of Indy, I'm on the far north side)

There are a few guys up here in Hamilton County who hang out on 146.52, and over in Boone County (just north and west of Indianapolis proper) quite a few guys hang out on 146.500.

I was up in Lafayette Indiana several times this summer, and there are quite a few hams up there who hang out on .52.

We have a pretty wide coverage repeater here in Indy that is very busy...and I'm finding I listen to it less and less.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
Our club has a net every monday night. 1st monday of the month is simplex net and the rest of the month is on the repeater. Works great. on simplex with everyone relaying we can cover several square miles and never miss a beat

jwatters

FM Simplex

In Sangamon County Illinois / EM59 and more so in the greater Springfield area 146.430 MHz is the most used for simplex. Not really a whole lot of UHF simplex at all that I've ever come across other than as a backup frequency for special events. I don't think that I would be too far off in stating that the 2m simplex is the preferred simplex although, there is a 2m sideband group that meets up on I think its 145.225 USB - but since I don't currently have a rig capable of 2m SSB so don't quote me on the frequency. There is also a SSTV group that meets on 145.500 FM simplex on Tuesdays, for analog format and Wednesday and Fridays for digital format besides that and the other rare 2m simplex heard on 146.520 (usually drivers passing through) and some traffic now and then on 147.510 - that's 'bout all the simplex I've heard. Locally most of the action is happening on the VHF/UHF repeaters and even that traffic is way less than what I was used to out in the Seattle / Tacoma WA area where I originated from.

There are about a half dozen VHF repeaters for 2m being utilized and two UHF for 70cm - there are no 6M and only one 1.25m but I can't hit it with any of rigs as the only do 1 watt on 220 MHz... I've wanted to get one of the 220 radios from Jetstream and see if we can't liven up that band a bit - but alas I am looking forward to getting back on the air with HF and I'm saving for a FT-950 first.

KB7NHD, EM59er

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I love simplex. I really do. It's unfortunate that some people can't be bothered to spin the VFO to a simplex frequency sometimes.

wyomingmedic

I love simplex. I really do. It's unfortunate that some people can't be bothered to spin the VFO to a simplex frequency sometimes.

I think the problem around here comes, not so much from spinning the VFO, but from station setup. For example, I have a decent gain dual band antenna at 60 feet on my tower. I have a footprint on VHF of almost 50 miles in most directions. My wife and I basically live on simplex. We have our favorite simplex frequency and we have NEVER heard anybody on it. For lack of a better term, it is our private chat frequency.

But my buddy down the street is in a different boat. He is restricted by landlords and other folks. His setup is a rollup J-pole hanging near a window. His simplex range is measured in feet instead of miles.

I bet I have an abnormal setup compared to most folks. There are very few towers here in town. The majority of people I know are running very low power into very low, small antennas.

Because of this, the simplex range of most folks is severely limited. And the repeater is (essentially) a cheap tower. I may try to start a simplex net around here. Maybe get a LITTLE more activity going.

WM

K9WG

There is a group that runs 146.52 simplex in the evening rush hour in Indy. Also 146.46 is/was a popular simplex frequency on the North side of Indy. There use to be a group in Johnson / Brown county that operated 10-meter in the eveninngs.

k8krh

Seems more simplex on lately on 146.52..146.50..have contacted Kentucky and Tenn., so far running 50-200 watts using omni directional vertical at 25 feet.

Any activity on mt-63 let me know..

DOCTOR 795

chip448

Feed Provider
Here at the junction of Interstates 80 and 39 in central Illinois, there is near-daily activity monitored on 146.520 and 146.550, with occasional traffic heard on 146.460, 147.420, and 446.000. The majority of traffic however is heard on local repeaters.

ropin4gold

I scan 146 52 55 and 565. Had a few qso's on 52 and 55. 565 is used around here as hospital net. Never heard of anyone using 555, will have to add it to the scan list. Worked a guy in VA when I was traveling calling CQ contest on 55.

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
Here in Southeastern, KY simplex is almost useless for long distance communications unless you're on a hill top. Havn't heard anything on 146.52 since I've been in the area since Jan.

k8krh

BIG ED
How far are you from Louisville, a number of stations on 52 in Shepersdville, also 50 is popular simplex...I have talked to southern Kentucky and Tenn numerous times on simplex..omni directional 2/440 antenna and 50 watts..
DOCTOR/795

TheSpaceMan

Been hearing a good deal of simplex FM activity on 146.52 in the New York City and suburban areas lately, mostly later in the evening. Sometimes just calling out a CQ will bring a surprise, since a lot of stations just seem to be listening on the frequency, or have recently programmed it into their scan modes.

KB0VWG

Hardly anything

146.520 might have some traffic here but don't count on it. I usually monitor 520 the other only one I know that is active is 146.415 Which my wife and I use. Thats it. Simplex might pick during winter tourist season but not by much
73's
Michael

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
BIG ED
How far are you from Louisville, a number of stations on 52 in Shepersdville, also 50 is popular simplex...I have talked to southern Kentucky and Tenn numerous times on simplex..omni directional 2/440 antenna and 50 watts..
DOCTOR/795

I am one mile from the Virginia/Kentucky state line on US 23 in Letcher County. Down in a little holler, and with a 13B2 @22' I have a time reaching the Pikeville machine which is only 20 miles as the bird flies, and get almost nothing on a repeater that is only 11 miles away in Whitesburg. I agree my location sucks, but I travel a lot in the area during the day and still hear no simplex traffic on 146.52, 55, 446.000, and 446.050.

Ed
K4XXX

kb9gig

We have a group of people here in Dewitt county Central Illinois that use 146.440 almost nightly
sometimes FM and sometimes DSTAR it depends on what we feel like.
since we are all local almost everybody can talk with only a few watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.