Getting Back into Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Hey all

Its been a few years and I want to get back into monitoring but it seems like there has been a lot of changes. I last actively monitored when P25 Digital was just coming out. Looking for recommendations of scanners to monitor the following systems within NC.

Plus some of the traditional stuff like railroads which I know pretty much anything can handle.

Occasionally I will travel and have an upcoming trip to NYC Metro Area so I will be listening to DE TRS, NJSP, etc.

My last scanner was a Pro-96 and a GRECOM (Cant remember the model).

Any recommendations y'all can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks
Robert

tvengr

Well Known Member
Onslow/Jacksonville uses a 5 site simulcast system. For that reason, I would recommend the Uniden SDS100 handheld or the SDS200 base/mobile. They are the only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems. Other scanners may or may not work. depending on your location.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Onslow/Jacksonville uses a 5 site simulcast system. For that reason, I would recommend the Uniden SDS100 handheld or the SDS200 base/mobile. They are the only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems. Other scanners may or may not work. depending on your location.
Or a Unication G5.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Plus some of the traditional stuff like railroads which I know pretty much anything can handle.

Occasionally I will travel and have an upcoming trip to NYC Metro Area so I will be listening to DE TRS, NJSP, etc.
Or a Unication G5.
The Unication G4 and G5 pagers are excellent for receiving P25 simulcast systems. However, they can scan only one system at a time. The G4 is 700/800 MHz only. The G5 can scan VHF and 700/800 MHz Or UHF and 700/800 MHz. With the diverse items you wish to monitor, the SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile will be a much better choice. For traveling, both the SDS100 and SDS200 have a nationwide database which you can access by zip code. Coupled with a GPS receiver, the scanners can automatically select everything in your area as you travel, without having to do any programming.. You can select service types such as Fire, EMS, Police, Public Works, Railroads, Aircraft ,etc. so that you can tailor your monitoring to what you want to receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.