Getting my modified 10 meter radio to work on 11 meters.

KQ4OFQ

I have an Anytone quad5 that I switch between my shack at home and my pickup, and am able to get 11 meter freqs. I know which freqs correspond with which cb channels, have my 102” whip correctly installed, but cannot get any responses when I tx for a radio check. Clearly there’s a missing piece of the puzzle. Elmer assistance would be greatly appreciated.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I am newly licensed amateur. There is much I don’t know yet.
Here's a good place to start...

A quick blurb from the FCC...

Citizens Band Radio Service (CB)​

• CB service allows two-way radio communications.
  • CB service operates on 40 shared channels on a "take-turns" basis, meaning no CB channel is assigned to any specific individual or organization. Users must never talk with another station for more than 5 minutes continuously, and must wait at least one minute before starting another communication on the same channel.
  • CB equipment used in the United States must be FCC-certified and labeled as such by the manufacturer.
  • You may not raise the power output of your CB unit, attach any type of power amplifier or modify the unit internally. The maximum authorized power levels vary depending on whether the station is transmitting a single side band (up to twelve watts Peak Envelope Power or PEP) or an AM signal (up to four watts PEP).

K7MEM

Truthfully I am unaware of the legalities of using a 10 meter radio on 11 meters, I assumed that since cbs don’t require licensure it was a non issue.

While they don't issue a personal license any more, there are rules and regulation on the fcc.gov web site. See "Part 95 - Subpart D - Rules for CB Service Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service". Specifically look at the section on what equipment is legal, power limitations, and modifications.

Man, I thought this was supposed to be a place to get friendly advice and help, not irrelevant ball busting…

Not trying to bust, just trying to educate. Probably, if you do use the radio on 11 Meters, the FCC will not be banging on your door. But it is unlikely that you will get much help from the hams on this site. That isn't what an Elmer does. There are users running hundreds/thousands of watts and free banding all over the spectrum. With current propagation, at certain times of day, it's an absolute zoo on 11 Meters. It's up to you whether you follow the rules, but you should know the rules.

Note that, just because a manufacturer makes a radio that is capable of 11 Meter operation, doesn't mean it's legal to use on 11 Meters. That's why they don't advertise use on 11 Meters.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most CB communications use AM mode though there is quite a bit of SSB activity. You would have to make sure that the radio is in AM or SSB mode in order to be heard. If you are transmitting in FM mode, you probably won't be heard.

As others have mentioned Citizens Band still has rules imposed by the FCC even though individual licenses are not required. One of those FCC rules is that transmitters must have an FCC equipment authorization for Citizens Band (FCC Part 95D). Most radios sold for use on the 10 meter amateur radio band do not have FCC equipment authorization for Citizens Band and, therefore, it would be an FCC rule violation to transmit with that radio on Citizens Band.

As others have mentioned, your amateur radio license gives you absolutely no authority to operate outside of the amateur radio bands.

Also, with a Technician license, your operating privileges below 30 MHz are limited. Holders of Technician licenses are allowed to operate between 28.0 and 28.3 MHz using CW, RTTY, and data. Technicians are also allowed to operate between 28.3 and 28.5 MHz using SSB, not FM.

KQ4OFQ

Most CB communications use AM mode though there is quite a bit of SSB activity. You would have to make sure that the radio is in AM or SSB mode in order to be heard. If you are transmitting in FM mode, you probably won't be heard.

As others have mentioned Citizens Band still has rules imposed by the FCC even though individual licenses are not required. One of those FCC rules is that transmitters must have an FCC equipment authorization for Citizens Band (FCC Part 95D). Most radios sold for use on the 10 meter amateur radio band do not have FCC equipment authorization for Citizens Band and, therefore, it would be an FCC rule violation to transmit with that radio on Citizens Band.

As others have mentioned, your amateur radio license gives you absolutely no authority to operate outside of the amateur radio bands.

Also, with a Technician license, your operating privileges below 30 MHz are limited. Holders of Technician licenses are allowed to operate between 28.0 and 28.3 MHz using CW, RTTY, and data. Technicians are also allowed to operate between 28.3 and 28.5 MHz using SSB, not FM.

I do use SSB and am familiar with the technician allowable frequencies, though my assumption that cb freqs were a gimme was based on my previous experiences with cbs when I used to drive over the road. I do thank you for the objective information and advice, and you too K7MEM.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCRay

I have an Anytone quad5 that I switch between my shack at home and my pickup, and am able to get 11 meter freqs. I know which freqs correspond with which cb channels, have my 102” whip correctly installed, but cannot get any responses when I tx for a radio check. Clearly there’s a missing piece of the puzzle. Elmer assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Soon as I read this, I thought someone is going to remind you of the "rules". Surprised more people didn't pile on.
But maybe more FCC experts will chime in, its still early.
The FCC rules are enforced vigorously and they are only trying help you from breaking the law.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Does the radio show output power on the meter when you transmit in the CB band? I forget how that radio works but if its not modified it should receive CB freqs but not transmit there. Is it possible you didn't do the mod right? The radio also has an offset for repeater use, make sure the the frequency doesn't change when you transmit. I have an Anytone 5555 and I remember it just came to life on CB and worked fine after a mod, but the radio is not near me now to check it.

K7MEM

I do use SSB and am familiar with the technician allowable frequencies, though my assumption that cb freqs were a gimme was based on my previous experiences with cbs when I used to drive over the road.

My guess is that, when you "used to drive over the road", you were using a legitimate type accepted CB radio. In that case, the CB radio channels, within limits, are freely usable. One exception might be Channel 9. That Channel 9 is suppose to be reserved for emergencies. However, not everyone pays attention to that. Just yesterday I heard several stations from Puerto Rico booming through on 9. But, outside the US, rules and customs may be different.

To get a feel for the state of the CB channels, you might want to try listening to the NA5B Web SDR Receiver on your computer. All of the channels are clearly marked. In the early evening you can find lots of stations cashing in on the good propagation. However, many are severely over modulated, talking over each other, and barely readable. There will also be a lot of freebanders above the indicated channels.

Oddly enough, right now, there is a station operating from Yellowstone Park with a Anytone Quad 4 on Channel 37 LSB (27.375 KHz).

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Do you have another receiver? If so, tune it to a CB freq and listen to yourself. if that works, antenna would be next! Funny, but just today I tuned my rig thru the CB freq just to listen...pretty much sounds like it did 50 years ago!!!

VE3BLI

Premium Subscriber
At the time I earned my ham ticket about 30 yrs ago,I had a "non type approved" CB radio,which I kept using.

I’m not sure if it was "the ol’ boys ham radio police" that was responsible,but I had a lot of "authorities" buzzing around.
In the end someone phoned and said he’d made deal with someone that if I junk that radio and give to him,nothing more would be said.

As if he lived nearby,it took me 5 minutes to get there.

No more trouble.

If you’re a ham -don’t do it.
Get a cb.

That said,one problem these radios have I was told (A nearby ranger 2900 was splattering all over 10 m)by a repairman,is channel limits.Too many channels causes splattering.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
At the time I earned my ham ticket about 30 yrs ago,I had a "non type approved" CB radio,which I kept using.

I’m not sure if it was "the ol’ boys ham radio police" that was responsible,but I had a lot of "authorities" buzzing around.
In the end someone phoned and said he’d made deal with someone that if I junk that radio and give to him,nothing more would be said.

As if he lived nearby,it took me 5 minutes to get there.

No more trouble.

If you’re a ham -don’t do it.
Get a cb.

That said,one problem these radios have I was told (A nearby ranger 2900 was splattering all over 10 m)by a repairman,is channel limits.Too many channels causes splattering.
The Anytone AT-5555N II has a very clean transmitter and it doesn't "splatter", even with a preamp mic turned up too much. It was specifically designed to operate in the CB band, even if its not FCC type accepted. If the OP sees the light and never uses the 10M rig on CB, so be it. But who are we to nag or demand he doesn't break the rules? That is up to him and none of our business if he doesn't.

KQ4OFQ

Message received loud and clear, I don’t need to make a mess for myself. I’ll just get a cb for mobile purposes and be done with it. I couldn’t get it to work anyway, and thanks for all of the heads up, I appreciate it all.