• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater linking and the FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I imagine when the enforcement bureau starts getting complaints, they'll pick the biggest fish with the loudest mouths (like those challenging the FCC to "do something") and they'll do just that: ram it in hard and make the violator pay a bunch of money, post the NAL as a public notice, and keep it moving.
Hopefully it's a big one in the Midwest that gets spanked. They are the ones running their mouths all over social media about not complying

d119

Patch & Channels Clear...
I imagine when the enforcement bureau starts getting complaints, they'll pick the biggest fish with the loudest mouths (like those challenging the FCC to "do something") and they'll do just that: ram it in hard and make the violator pay a bunch of money, post the NAL as a public notice, and keep it moving.
Yeah you tell 'em crip...

N4GEX

Premium Subscriber
Back in June a new repeater came online in my area, and it's linked to this network:
I've heard very little bona fide local activity on it. It'll be interesting to see how long the linking stays up in light of this new development.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Short range communications. 1 repeater. 1 conversation. Whatever that site covers is what it covers. You want more, get your ham license.
Which has ALWAYS been the intended purpose and reason why GMRS was created. Short range LOCAL communications on UHF FM. All was great until the prepper play army whackers and sad hams showed up and wants to slam a square peg into a round hole.

I really do encourage the FCC to smack down the biggest offenders so the other miscreant spoiled children will STFU and go back to either being sad hams on the ham bands or buying more hoards of ChinaComm PTToC radios.

wrr20891

Some GMRS repeater owners are complying. A system in Texas shut off all their links between repeaters citing the FCC clarification at 12 AM this past Monday morning. At least one owner of several repeaters in Arkansas has said he was shutting off his links, don't know if that has actually occurred yet or not.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
If it was used for its intended purpose..and that is not ham radio..
nor is it a hobby medium...we would not be having this conversation
Never understood this, but our world is filled with....well...anyway

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I get your point.... But as far as things being used only for their intended purpose....

If we did that we wouldn't have people making antennas out of re-purposed computer cables (like with RS-232 connectors), as well as lots of other ideas (PVC pipe used as antenna supports rather than just to transfer water etc..).

I get your gist, but we need more experimentation in this world (within limits of course).

Thanks
Joel

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I alluded to that several days ago. I can pay to get access to the North Georgia network but I was reluctant to get involved because it seemed to deviate from the purpose of GMRS and I didn't want to spend $130 a year for my daughter and myself (the only real family members in 600 miles).

I am licensed and have four GMRS portables that were originally purchased for use at a recent week-long family reunion in Arkansas. They worked great but I haven't turned one on since that time because I didn't want to pay big bucks just to say "hello" to someone I probably don't even know. If I have that urge, I can use my ham radio.

KV4BL

Premium Subscriber
Don't get me wrong, I do realize that the FCC did not intend for the General Mobile Radio Service to be used for long distance communications like the Amateur Radio Service. However, I do think that having the ability to link up repeaters via VoIP or other means would be beneficial. And if the FCC gives its blessing for Digital Voice, DMR or IDAS/NXDN would great.
👎

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I alluded to that several days ago. I can pay to get access to the North Georgia network but I was reluctant to get involved because it seemed to deviate from the purpose of GMRS and I didn't want to spend $130 a year for my daughter and myself (the only real family members in 600 miles).

I am licensed and have four GMRS portables that were originally purchased for use at a recent week-long family reunion in Arkansas. They worked great but I haven't turned one on since that time because I didn't want to pay big bucks just to say "hello" to someone I probably don't even know. If I have that urge, I can use my ham radio.
Yeah this "we have an 8 channel linked system with paid access" screams of turning GMRS into an SMR. Top it off with "buy your radios here from our authorized vendor" just screams of flagarant violation of GMRS. I suspect they are in the same crowd of "the fcc will have to come knocking first!"

Be careful what you wish for, Homie.

KV4BL

Premium Subscriber
The repeater linking is what the issue is and not the linked network with simplex nodes connected through the internet. The home nodes linked to the internet will still be around. It would be the linked repeaters would have to disconnect from the net.
Linked simplex nodes are still an unnecessary waste of the eight repeater/50W simplex channels. They can be just as harmful as a linked repeater, but more useless.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
is the GMRS to MURS link still up?
I haven't heard it since I unlocked everything yesterday. It may have just been for the hurricane, but I locked out everything hurricane morning and haven't listened again until yesterday.

KV4BL

Premium Subscriber
Curious what the response will be from the North Georgia GMRS group.
I saw elsewhere that they had self-inspected and determined they were in compliance with all FCC regulations. FWIW, this is third-hand info. My guess is that neither them, nor a lesser system based in Augusta, will cease until the FCC applies direct pressure of some sort.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
they had self-inspected and determined they were in compliance with all FCC regulations.

And I wouldn't argue with that statement.

The actual CFR for GMRS is vague and outdated. The additional wording on the webpage isn't binding. While the FCC could absolutely enforce this, it wouldn't take much of an attorney to keep this tied up for a while discussing what is actually published in the rules.

And I'm sure the FCC knows that. I really expect there to be an update to Part 95 coming in the near future. Updating the webpage wording was the easy first step. Getting Part 95 updated takes some work.

KV4BL

Premium Subscriber
And I wouldn't argue with that statement.

The actual CFR for GMRS is vague and outdated. The additional wording on the webpage isn't binding. While the FCC could absolutely enforce this, it wouldn't take much of an attorney to keep this tied up for a while discussing what is actually published in the rules.

And I'm sure the FCC knows that. I really expect there to be an update to Part 95 coming in the near future. Updating the webpage wording was the easy first step. Getting Part 95 updated takes some work.
You are right! I just hope the FCC has the foresight to put something in there to the effect that "No linking of GMRS repeaters, by whatever means, shall be allowed." These linking weenies are already trying to figure out loop holes on other boards and forums, as we speak.

KV4BL

Premium Subscriber
Unlike the confines of part 95, the limit of what a licensee can't do on part 97 are very limited. One is free to pretty much run whatever mode they wish, link anything to everything, and have fun so long as they operate in their band and ID. But instead, silence while 8 repeater pairs are tied up with prepper whackers, weather whackers, and sad hams talking about their piss bags being full tying up all 8 pairs in the state.
Don't forget the "peas, beans, corn, taters, maters, cucumbers, and squash" nets where the object is to prattle on for hours on how to plant (or cook) the aforementioned fruits and vegetables. 🙄

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I just hope the FCC has the foresight to put something in there to the effect that "No linking of GMRS repeaters, by whatever means, shall be allowed." These linking weenies are already trying to figure out loop holes on other boards and forums, as we speak.

I have a feeling that, thanks to the internet forums, the FCC has figured out that the wording needs to be very carefully chosen.

Yet, someone will imagine some loophole. Usually ends with "There's nothing in the Constitution that grants the FCC any powers, so they have no authority" type B.S.

Like I said earlier, this is going to be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.