going digital in Wichita

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruver911

The list is fine, but I suspect what he is REALLY asking, is why can't he hear the talkgroups? As those of us who live outside the Wichita city limits have discovered, you can get full signal strength on the system, but the scanners don't process the talkgroup audio. Cassidian simulcast systems and scanners just don't go well together. I've been trying for a couple of weeks to tweak settings based on suggestions from others on this forum, and it just doesn't work. We'll just have to wait and see if the vendors come up with updates or new models that will track these systems.

shocker81

Going digital in Wichita

I live in Haysville, Kansas. I have the RS Pro106 and the Pro 97. I have the new Sedgwick County digital system programmed into my radios and it works as well as expected. At first I was having a little problem with things cutting out just like the KSICS. But I talked to Mark at the Radio Shack in Derby, Ks. and he advised me to change my threshhold settings to either 50/50 or default. I did the change and things are working good now. Digital is digital and there will probably be problems with it forever but until some radio tech figures it all out for the better it is what it is. I am just listening to it as a wildcard system right now but it is working pretty good. I listen all day as I am driving on my route. I tried the roam feature for awhile but it seems to work better on the stat setting. And after changing the threshhold setting my receptions for Butler co./Reno Co. and KSICS receives better also. I will be changing my analog system over to to the digital system with all the talkgroups into their respective channels in the radios this weekend. I have already done this for the Wichita/ Sedgwick County Fire and Sedgwick County EMS. Wichita P.D., Sedgwick County Sheriff and the surrounding cities will be done on Sunday and Monday as I am off those days. If you have any questions ask away or if you would like to meet me somewhere Sunday or Monday to listen to my system let me know. I am always willing to help another scanner hobbyist improve on their listening enjoyment.

Mirlyn

Premium Subscriber
I've been playing with my 396XT (looking to finally retire the Pro-92 and 2067) and had no problem with getting the KSICS system setup on it. Now that the SG system is live, I've noticed it is very hit and miss. It's basically dead air at my house and errors are in the 70s and 80s when I do receive something, I do hear more when I'm out driving with the unit, still, nowhere near 100% reception when I have both the digital and analog units on comparison.

Is this the simulcast problem I'm reading about? If so, am I understanding correctly that the 10-site system in SG is harder to "trunk" than the single local KSICS tower because they're essentially all talking at the same time on the same freqs?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to make sure I understand our difficulties. Tried some of the attenuation and P25 adjustments and things haven't changed.

palmerlake

I have the Pro 106 and the matching base unit and I am listening to the Sedgwick County digital everyday. It is what it is. It sounds and acts just like the KSICS does but we will just have to accept it for what it is. It is not bad but it does have its moments just like the state has.

To : shocker81, yes I would like to have a chance to see your scanner working, and maybe you could help me get my pro 96 to track digital better .I also have a home patrol -1 that I need help down loading the new system on radio reference [Sedgwick county new digital 25 phase 1. my cell is 217-5273

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Is this the simulcast problem I'm reading about? If so, am I understanding correctly that the 10-site system in SG is harder to "trunk" than the single local KSICS tower because they're essentially all talking at the same time on the same freqs?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to make sure I understand our difficulties. Tried some of the attenuation and P25 adjustments and things haven't changed.

Here is a good Wiki that discusses the problem of multi-path P-25 monitoring and presents some of the solutions that people have found. This problem is not limited to the Wichita Cassidian system, if you search RR you will find the same complaints/problems cropping up in every new simulcast P-25 system.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Mirlyn

Premium Subscriber
Here is a good Wiki that discusses the problem of multi-path P-25 monitoring and presents some of the solutions that people have found. This problem is not limited to the Wichita Cassidian system, if you search RR you will find the same complaints/problems cropping up in every new simulcast P-25 system.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Good info, thanks. Lots of confirmation there.

One more question: With how the SG simulcasting system is set up, do we hear all the system's traffic on a particular site, or just the traffic that particular site is handling? For example, would I hear Andover PD comms while pointed at a site transmitter in Goddard, or only if that transmitter was communicating with a unit within it's range operating on the Andover PD TG?

I think I read that was a caveat when monitoring the state-wide system...just curious if the same applies to the SG P25 sites.

Thanks in advance!

fp5930

I live in Haysville, Kansas. I have the RS Pro106 and the Pro 97. I have the new Sedgwick County digital system programmed into my radios and it works as well as expected. At first I was having a little problem with things cutting out just like the KSICS. But I talked to Mark at the Radio Shack in Derby, Ks. and he advised me to change my threshhold settings to either 50/50 or default. I did the change and things are working good now. Digital is digital and there will probably be problems with it forever but until some radio tech figures it all out for the better it is what it is. I am just listening to it as a wildcard system right now but it is working pretty good. I listen all day as I am driving on my route. I tried the roam feature for awhile but it seems to work better on the stat setting. And after changing the threshhold setting my receptions for Butler co./Reno Co. and KSICS receives better also. I will be changing my analog system over to to the digital system with all the talkgroups into their respective channels in the radios this weekend. I have already done this for the Wichita/ Sedgwick County Fire and Sedgwick County EMS. Wichita P.D., Sedgwick County Sheriff and the surrounding cities will be done on Sunday and Monday as I am off those days. If you have any questions ask away or if you would like to meet me somewhere Sunday or Monday to listen to my system let me know. I am always willing to help another scanner hobbyist improve on their listening enjoyment.
Shocker81:

I would like to find a convenient time and place to meet you and to see what you have done to be able to receive the new Wichita/Sedgwick County digital system on your Pro 106. I appreciate the opportunity to meet others with similar scanning interests.

rkm6460

I just got a new Home Patrol 1, and live in Northwest Wichita. I'm picking up very little. Updated the database and firmware, but getting a few hits on PD and KSICS. Haven't heard EMS once, and yes the Project 25 is loaded. Any thoughts?

Taz305

Sorry if I have missed it and I am not an expert on the settings. I have a RS Pro 106 and just programmed the scanner with the SGCO Digital. What do I need to do with the settings? I have the ARC500 software and did not know what I need to set the dewell, thresholds, multisite, etc. at to receive. So far I can not pick anything up and I live by the northeast part of Wichita, Kechi area.

Thanks in advance

titothefixer

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new Home Patrol 1, and live in Northwest Wichita. I'm picking up very little. Updated the database and firmware, but getting a few hits on PD and KSICS. Haven't heard EMS once, and yes the Project 25 is loaded. Any thoughts?

I have the same issue with my 396xt. Could it be a signal strength issues?

shepsvettes

digital

I live in North West Wichita, My psr-800 is picking up a lot. I'm using the smallest antenna I could find. Does pretty well with simulcast signals

seanblackphotography

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Glad to see I'm not the only one having issues. My 396xt is basically silent, as are both my 996t's that are (trying to) running the SG/WFD feed.

I've been told it's due to signal overload, basically from any point in town you're getting signal from at least 3 towers. My first directional Yagi antenna arrived today and I hope to get it up this weekend. I'm told this is the best solution and at this point I'm willing to try anything.

I'll keep everyone informed as to my progress.

shocker81

Pro 106 and the Wichita/Sedgwick County Digital System

I have my Pro 106's and my Pro 197's loaded with the City/County system and I am receiving everything at about 99.5%. I have WPD, SEDGWICK COUNTY S/O. CITY/ COUNTY FIRE/ EMS/ KHP AND SURROUNDING AREA DEPARTMENTS AND TALKGROUPS PROGRAMMED IN AND THEY ARE WORKING FINE. Now there are a few dropouts but not very many at all. Now I will be meeting another RADIO REFERENCE MEMBER at the BRAUM"S at Harry and Rock Rd. at 1:00 P.M. Sunday to look at his PRO 96 and it's issues. I will have one of my loaded PRO 106's with me if any of you RADIO REFERENCE MEMBERS want to meet us there to discuss the system and to check out my Pro 106 and the reception come on over. I also have Butler County and Reno County programmed in the Pro 106 also.

seanblackphotography

Premium Subscriber
Something to note:

I live in the area of 13th/Ridge. I made a run to QT tonight @ 13th/Maize. As soon as I came into that area, my 396 came to live with audio. Almost perfect. I must live in a black hole.

bbrush

yagi

let us know how the yagi ant works. I am holding off buying a scanner. If the yagi works with your scanner, I will write the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.