GRE-made Scanner Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
No, they don't seem to think Whistler rates having its own forum despite there being like 18 Uniden forums. They're just biased against Whistler, that's all.

Giggles .. someone said what we are thinking to ourselves.

I think that someone is making some money here .. and not promoting Whistler products. But given the Uniden mess lately, I think that people will eventually learn what are the better products (debatable) and definitely better support (pretty obvious in the last year).

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
No, they don't seem to think Whistler rates having its own forum despite there being like 18 Uniden forums. They're just biased against Whistler, that's all.

Did I miss a post somewhere from RR stating that there would never be a Whistler forum?

jackj

Nope, you didn't miss a thing, fxdscon. But stop and take stock.
GRE is no more.
Whistler now sells scanners very similar to the GRE ones but not identical.
Whistler updates won't work on GRE scanners and GRE updates won't work on Whistler scanners.
Whistler scanners carry their own model numbers and they are different from the ones GRE used.
RR won't open a Whistler forum until Whistler starts selling scanner's of their own design.

I MUST be missing something because it kind of looks to me like Whistler IS selling their own scanners.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Nope, you didn't miss a thing, fxdscon. But stop and take stock.
GRE is no more.
Whistler now sells scanners very similar to the GRE ones but not identical.
Whistler updates won't work on GRE scanners and GRE updates won't work on Whistler scanners.
Whistler scanners carry their own model numbers and they are different from the ones GRE used.
RR won't open a Whistler forum until Whistler starts selling scanner's of their own design.

I MUST be missing something because it kind of looks to me like Whistler IS selling their own scanners.

Then are you saying that there will never be a whistler forum?

jackj

Never is a long time but I do wonder why "the powers that be" haven't decided to open a Whistler forum?

mlmummert

By those standards, Radio Shack doesn't make their own scanners yet they have a forum.

SCPD

QRT
The fact that there will likely be a PSR-800 release to fix the newly-discovered EDACS patching bug will be because the guy responsible for the code is so nice. He'll be doing it out of the inestimable goodness of his heart; he won't be billing anyone for that time.

And for this a big thank you. It is appreciated.

DonS

By those standards, Radio Shack doesn't make their own scanners yet they have a forum.

Yeah, that doesn't really make sense, does it?

Except for the chassis and some display text, a PRO-197 is identical to a PSR-600. Yet we ask PRO-197 questions in the "Radio Shack Scanners" forum and PSR-600 questions in the "GRE Scanners" forum.

Then we have the PRO-652 and WS1065. Those have some significant hardware and software changes compared to the GRE-made scanners. For the PRO-652, we still ask questions in the Radio Shack forum (I guess because it says "radioshack" on the front panel). But, for the WS1065, we talk about it in the GRE forum.

I wait, with bated breath, for the WS1095 release. Will that trigger the Whistler forum, since GRE never released the PSR-900 for sale? Or, since GRE publicly displayed it and I have a "GRECOM PSR-900" on my desk, will the WS1095 still be in the GRE forum, since it doesn't count toward "Whistler designs their own scanners"?

SCPD

QRT
The whole til "Whistler designs their own scanners" doesn't cut it from a logical point of view cause Radio Shack to my knowledge has never designed their own scanners.

There is an obvious anti-Whistler theme here but that is ok, cause the people in the know are dumping their Uniden scanners and buying GRE / Whistler scanners. That includes me.

The other guys can have their bloated forum .. we will keep our better designed scanners. :)

W6KRU

The whole til "Whistler designs their own scanners" doesn't cut it from a logical point of view cause Radio Shack to my knowledge has never designed their own scanners.

There is an obvious anti-Whistler theme here but that is ok, cause the people in the know are dumping their Uniden scanners and buying GRE / Whistler scanners. That includes me.

The other guys can have their bloated forum .. we will keep our better designed scanners. :)

I agree with all of that. I find the WS-1080 superior to the 436 in every way except the support by this forum.

DonS

except the support by this forum
That exception might disappear if you count support by the engineers who actually designed and coded the scanners.

For example, it's only been for the GRE-made scanners* where I've seen engineering replies like "if you'll send me some a log file I'll code up and send you a test version of firmware that might fix it".

* "GRE-made scanners", according to current RR policy, also includes the Whistler-made WS1010, PRO-649, WS1025, PRO-650, WS1040, PRO-651, WS1065, PRO-652, WS1080, and PRO-668.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

Same here, I recently bought a Whistler WS1040 and programmed it using Win500.The 396XT now sits on the desk waiting for it's ebay photo shoot.

k3ygc

so updates to whistler do not apply to gre. so they are different radios. so split the forums and activate the whistler forum.stop being partisan and petty.

SCPD

QRT
That exception might disappear if you count support by the engineers who actually designed and coded the scanners.

For example, it's only been for the GRE-made scanners* where I've seen engineering replies like "if you'll send me some a log file I'll code up and send you a test version of firmware that might fix it".

* "GRE-made scanners", according to current RR policy, also includes the Whistler-made WS1010, PRO-649, WS1025, PRO-650, WS1040, PRO-651, WS1065, PRO-652, WS1080, and PRO-668.

Don't worry Don .. some of us do get it and appreciate what you have done for the scanner community, including the recent PSR800 / Whistler WS-1080 fix. I for one do greatly appreciate it, and love your new signature.

net_flyer

Premium Subscriber
PSR-800 Firmware CPU update 1.9 released 12-9-14

I updated my 800 to 1.9 figuring that it includes improvements like mentioned above.
The update went great as usual and the radio works as before.

So, if you have a PSR-800, by all means, check for updates and go for it.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Don,

Is there a power up reset like the "0 2 reset sequence at power up" that the PSR-500/600 series scanners have for the PSR-800? (If not then it looks like I may have to break down and `bite the bullet' and finally get a WS-1080 a bit earlier than I was planning on. {GRIMACE!} Christmas is kinda `tight' this year.)

Oh, yeah... Thanks for that "0 2 reset sequence at power up" for the PSR-500/600 series! It's now securely filed away along with other PSR-500/600 series `ganglinger' I've been collecting over the years!

mikey60

Don,

Is there a power up reset like the "0 2 reset sequence at power up" that the PSR-500/600 series scanners have for the PSR-800? (If not then it looks like I may have to break down and `bite the bullet' and finally get a WS-1080 a bit earlier than I was planning on. {GRIMACE!} Christmas is kinda `tight' this year.)

If you want it to be like factory default, prepare the card for use, copy the library files to the scanner, but don't copy the configurations you have to it.

Mike

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What I'd *like* to see Whistler do is release signed drivers for the PSR-800 that run reliably on Win 7/8 64-bit systems. I have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get Windows to load the comm port drivers, and God forbid if I have to unplug from the computer, then reconnect...

Fargo

PSR 800

Updated database for my PSR 800. I noticed there is a 1.9 CPU firmware available. Is this safe to download?

Status
Not open for further replies.