GRE-made Scanner Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

What I'd *like* to see Whistler do is release signed drivers for the PSR-800 that run reliably on Win 7/8 64-bit systems.

The truly annoying part is that the PSR-800 doesn't require any drivers that are not already present on a Windows 7/8 system. All that's required is a .INF file that says "hey, Windows, for this USB serial device, use the USBSER.SYS driver that Microsoft provided and which is already in C:\Windows\System32".

SCPD

QRT
What I'd *like* to see Whistler do is release signed drivers for the PSR-800 that run reliably on Win 7/8 64-bit systems. I have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get Windows to load the comm port drivers, and God forbid if I have to unplug from the computer, then reconnect...

I have been running my PSR-800 on Windows 8.1 / 64 bit for months and unplug it daily and never ever any problems.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have been running my PSR-800 on Windows 8.1 / 64 bit for months and unplug it daily and never ever any problems.

Consider yourself lucky, judging by the experiences of many posters in this forum and my personal observations. What hardware are you running? Thoroughly tested (WHQL) and signed drivers usually, but not always, prove to be more stable and consistent. The GRE drivers lack evidence of WHQL testing and are not signed. I have three computers, two run W7/64: a custom Asus based i7 machine, and an Intel NUC i5; and a Microsoft Surface i5 running Windows 8.1/64. All have issues with the GRE driver installation and stability. I can eventually get it to work, but not without kludging through different start up sequences between the computer and the scanner.

MONITORING247

the pro 668 must be included

since we are talking about well designed scanners the pro 668 must be included do to it being made by whistler for radio shack and it is by itself a top dog unit in its own right to prove this point find a member who has found fault with it.

olepops

on the note of upgrading is it possible Don Starr can or would write an upgrade for the psr500 for the transition to Project 25 Phase II currently happening in Illinois State Police among others. That's something I would be happy to pay for because we all know he certainly knows these scanners inside and out. any help and support is appreciated.
Thank You DonS

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
on the note of upgrading is it possible Don Starr can or would write an upgrade for the psr500 for the transition to Project 25 Phase II currently happening in Illinois State Police among others. That's something I would be happy to pay for because we all know he certainly knows these scanners inside and out. any help and support is appreciated.
Thank You DonS

It's not possible, Phase II is a completely different way of encoding and decoding data that requires hardware not found in the PSR-500. When the PSR-500 was developed, Phase II was only an idea and didn't have any specification. This isn't only isolated scanners, there are a number of commercial digital radio that will not work with Phase II either since they too lack the hardware needed.

olepops

thank you

thank you for that quick response I did not realize it was that involved that hardware change was required.
I appreciate your help.

Scott

bfletcher

Premium Subscriber
RE: #8 and #13; I have a newfound respect and admiration for Whistler after having read this. In an email reply from September 2014 I had the understanding that absolutely no updates would be offered for the PSR-800. I just now stumbled upon this thread one week after having made a Uniden investment that was based largely on the thought that Whistler had no interest in helping should some bug be discovered. Kudos to Whistler!

mkirker

Can someone please help me reband my Pro 106 and GRE 600 radios. What firmware do I need? I am pretty sure I upgraded to firmware 2.1 and DSP 1.4 -- I can't hear the local 800 system that I programed in. I am sure this has been posted to death but I keep searching and searching and can't figure out how to do it

Mark

budevans

Can someone please help me reband my Pro 106 and GRE 600 radios. What firmware do I need? I am pretty sure I upgraded to firmware 2.1 and DSP 1.4 -- I can't hear the local 800 system that I programed in. I am sure this has been posted to death but I keep searching and searching and can't figure out how to do it

Mark

You have to select the Rebanded table and then set Tables to Custom, for each Trunk system that needs rebanding.

The easiest way to do it is using software. I use WIN500. Install WIN500 and do a download from your scanner. Here are the steps to set Tables Rebanded.

1. Open WIN500 and click on the TSYS tab.
2. Select (click on) the Trunk System you want to set Rebanded.
3. On the right hand side of the screen you will see Details for TSYS Object ID with three buttons below (System Frequencies, Trunking Tables, Fleet Map). Select (click on) the Trunking Tables button. From the drop down menu select 800 MHz Rebanded. Click OK button.
4 Just below the Fleet Map button you will see Trunking Tables. Click on the drop down arrow to the right and select Custom.
You have now set the Trunking Tables to 800 Mhz Rebanded and selected (told your scanner) to use the Custom table.

5. Go to the main menu and click on File - Save. To save your changes. Now upload to your scanner. That's it.

Last edited:

crazy4wolves

Premium Subscriber
gre .com psr 500 police scanner

My local police dept went to p25 i cant get them on my scanner.how do i get them on my scanner. I updated my firmware and still cant get them thanks.

troymail

Silent Key

hightaxes

Need help with GSR-800 and Tacoma PD

Hello all. I recently rebanded my PSR-800 firmware hoping I could receive Tacoma PD (Washingvton) but not a peep. Is there someone near Tacoma that receives them that could help me with this? The control frequencies match whats on RF but nothing comes across as Motorola TYPE II 800 MHz @ 853.250, 855.1375 and using the rest of the list.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Tacoma PD

Hello all. I recently rebanded my PSR-800 firmware hoping I could receive Tacoma PD (Washingvton) but not a peep. Is there someone near Tacoma that receives them that could help me with this? The control frequencies match whats on RF but nothing comes across as Motorola TYPE II 800 MHz @ 853.250, 855.1375 and using the rest of the list.
Tacoma is on this system. It requires a digital Phase II scanner. If you listen to the 800 system in open mode, you might hear something; but I doubt it will be Tacoma PD.

kd7ckq

My understanding is that the PSR-800 is a P25 phase II scanner.
Make sure under the Trunked Radio Systems tab, You will see a line that has PSRS Tacoma/Puyallup. Make sure where it says TYPE, select Project25 instead of Motorola and see if that helps. P25 systems do not use rebanding info, only systems that program with type MOTOROLA. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that.

Last edited:

kd7ckq

Ok, looks like they updated that system.
here is the old Analog/P25 Phase I system they are moving off of.Tacoma/Puallup, System ID: 830D (This is Not the System you seek.)
From that link.
Latest News Update Posted on 2016-03-03 16:18:57

This system is in the process of being phased out. Most agencies have switched to either the South Sound 911 or PSRS Tacoma systems

here is the new P25 Phase II system. (This is the System you seek.)
PSRS Tacoma/Puyallup, System ID: 3AC

Last edited:

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Tacoma is on this system. It requires a digital Phase II scanner. If you listen to the 800 system in open mode, you might hear something; but I doubt it will be Tacoma PD.

Uhhh. The PSR-800 IS a Phase II capable radio. If the OP updates to the latest Database and then loads the Tacoma PD from it, he should hear it, unless they are encrypted.

deejayaustin

Premium Subscriber
Psr 800 restore help

Well that's good news I suppose.
Hey, could you possibly walk me through restoring a psr800.. I can't get anything to load.. it was errored out... I finally got it working but I need the copy of the sd card or something to load the info with zip code, etc.. I could call you or something..
Thanks
Harmon-K5HDM

bmyos

can't connect scanner

I haven't used my scanner in at least 3 years. I am trying to update the firmware and when I plug my scanner into the computer I get the sound recognition if a USB device being attached, but the scanner says "searching for USB". I don't know how to get my computer to recognize the scanner so I can update my firmware.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.