PSR500/PSR600: GRE psr-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jn2022

Hello everyone!!! I'm new to the forum and kind of new to the newer scanner world. I've grown up listening to a scanner and absolutely love it. Anyway, my old one died and I did some research and found out that our county is finally switching over to digital in a couple years. I think now they are currently doing analog mostly. I live in Wisconsin up in Door County. I bought a used (like new) Grecom psr-600 which has digital trunking capabilities. The county next to us which is Kewaunee County has supposedly gone digital. I looked it up and radio reference has their channels being on WISCOM which is a P25 SYSTEM. I didn't use any software to program it. I'm not sure what to get or even if I need it. To program Wiscom into my scanner, I first entered P25 auto. I then looked up all the available sites that are in the system. I looked up the sites for Door County and found one in Carlsville and one in Brussels. Both of which are close enough for me to receive. Carlsville is the stronger signal. All I have to do is enter the control frequencies for that site? I did that and then went and looked up Kewaunee County and entered all the talk groups for the county. I can't get anything. Wondering if someone could help me step through it? It shows I have strong signal. Maybe the county isn't using it. I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

ScannerSK

I think the only thing left to do is to add a "group" wildcard talkgroup and associate it with the WISCOM system you programmed into the scanner. The "group" wildcard talkgroup tells the scanner to receive anything not yet programmed into the scanner for that particular system (when using standard wildcard settings).

It appears most of what you might want to listen to would be on the Wisconsin state system:

There is also a separate system used by 88 counties however is an NXDN system which is not supported by the PSR-500/600:

139.1625 & 139.4125 are likely the two frequencies you programmed in as control channels.

The WISCOM system is Phase 1 which the GRE PSR-600 scanner can handle. The PSR-500/600 scanners cannot handle Phase 2 which a lot of counties are moving to from Phase 1 just as a heads up.

Shawn

Last edited:

Jn2022

I think the only thing left to do is to add a "group" wildcard talkgroup and associate it with the WISCOM system you programmed into the scanner. The "group" wildcard talkgroup tells the scanner to receive anything not yet programmed into the scanner for that particular system (when using standard wildcard settings).

It appears most of what you might want to listen to would be on the Wisconsin state system:

There is also a separate system used by 88 counties however is an NXDN system which is not supported by the PSR-500/600:

139.1625 & 139.4125 are likely the two frequencies you programmed in as control channels.

The WISCOM system is Phase 1 which the GRE PSR-600 scanner can handle. The PSR-500/600 scanners cannot handle Phase 2 which a lot of counties are moving to from Phase 1 just as a heads up.

Shawn
Do you think it could possibly be that it needs a firmware update? I did what you said and changed my talkgroup to wildcard and I'm still not getting anything. Shouldn't this scanner just be lit up because it would get all the transmissions of the whole state?

ScannerSK

I don't believe a firmware update would stop you from receiving a phase 1 P25 system. You can install the lastest DSP and firmware to make sure from GRE America Inc..

The wildcard talkgroup may be programmed incorrectly. It must be assigned to the correct system, have an ID of just "Wildcard" and a type of "Group". While scanning, the screen should show five bars for signal strength.

What else? There are some wildcard settings and advanced settings that may be affecting something however this is unlikely unless you changed a setting on purpose.

Two-way radios in the field affiliate with a specific control channel. You will only receive the radio traffic associated with the two-way radios affiliated with the specific control channel you are monitoring. So, you will not hear all the radio traffic in the state only the traffic being transmitted to the radios that are connected to that specific control channel. So, monitoring different control channels can provide different results. Sites that have more voice channels typically carry more radio traffic overall.

You might try going into your WISCOM system and changing the setting of Multi-Site to "Stat" and Check All CC to "Yes". This will force the scanner to check all the control channels you programmed into that system with each scan/pass.

It may be possible there just is not much if anything going on in your area?

Shawn

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Do you think it could possibly be that it needs a firmware update? I did what you said and changed my talkgroup to wildcard and I'm still not getting anything. Shouldn't this scanner just be lit up because it would get all the transmissions of the whole state?
There are three sites for the statewide system (WISCOM) in your county, Door. But no matter where you are, or what sites you program, you still would not get 'all the transmissions of the whole state'. I only see a bare handful of talkgroups in the system linked to your county. According to the database, It appears that your county uses conventional Vhf & Uhf frequencies, instead of talkgroups on the statewide system. Generally, you only hear talkgroups for units in the area, that are affiliated with a specific site. In most cases, a user, on the state's system, talking in a neighboring county would not be heard in your county. The exception would be a unit, based in your county, that was in another county for some reason. In that case, the talkgroup would be heard in the county where the field element was in, as well as in their home county. (See this wiki page for more discussion. The page is directed more at older trunked systems, but the basic reasons that not every talkgroup is heard on every site, all the time, is similar for newer, P25, systems.)

Be sure to program the conventional frequencies in your county, so that you can monitor those until the move to P25 is made. Your GRE PSR-600 can receive your current channels, and if the county stays conventional, but moves to using P25 on the current frequencies, it will work for that as well. When & if they move to the state trunked system, your 600 can still work, as long as the system does not convert to P25 Phase II.

You might try going into your WISCOM system and changing the setting of Multi-Site to "Stat" and Check All CC to "Yes". This will force the scanner to check all the control channels you programmed into that system with each scan/pass.
This would be a good idea as well. That way, if any of your three local sites are active, you would hear them.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I didn't use any software to program it. I'm not sure what to get or even if I need it.
It is far faster and easier using software. I use Butel ARC500 Basic. You can download it for the free trial period and purchase the key if you like it. Here is the link: Butel ARC500 Police Scanner Radio Programming Software Download (scannermaster.com) Click on Download the DEMO and run the program to install it. I will be happy to help with the programming. With the software, you will be able to attach your programming file for others to check it for errors. Do you have the programming cable?

Jn2022

Thanks so much for your help!!! I really do appreciate it. I do not have a programming cable.
I am new to all this digital trunking. I find it very interesting and have been researching this trying to figure all this stuff out. Maybe I am misunderstanding what this statewide trunking system does. I was under the impression that all I needed to do was enter the type of system which would be P25 auto (correct me if I’m wrong), then tap into my nearest site or tower that is part of the system, enter that particular sites control frequencies and I could listen to any group on that system as long as I entered that group id. Am I wrong on this?

ScannerSK

I was under the impression that all I needed to do was enter the type of system which would be P25 auto (correct me if I’m wrong), then tap into my nearest site or tower that is part of the system, enter that particular sites control frequencies and I could listen to any group on that system as long as I entered that group id. Am I wrong on this?

Basically, create a system (P25 auto) with the desired control frequencies. After this, add either the group wildcard or add the individual talkgroups you desire to monitor.

If you want to verify whether activity is occurring on a specific site in your area without a programming cord, you can enter the voice channels individually as conventional talkgroups with a SQ mode of "P25" and a P25 NAC of "Search" and scan them.

Here in Colorado, our DTRS system has sites with up to 25 frequencies in the site due to so much activity. The problem here is too much activity at times. I hope you hear something soon! Most of your activity may still be on the non-digital side of the world as outlined here:

Shawn

Jn2022

Basically, create a system (P25 auto) with the desired control frequencies. After this, add either the group wildcard or add the individual talkgroups you desire to monitor.

If you want to verify whether activity is occurring on a specific site in your area without a programming cord, you can enter the voice channels individually as conventional talkgroups with a SQ mode of "P25" and a P25 NAC of "Search" and scan them.

Here in Colorado, our DTRS system has sites with up to 25 frequencies in the site due to so much activity. The problem here is too much activity at times. I hope you hear something soon! Most of your activity may still be on the non-digital side of the world as outlined here:

Shawn
So, when you say individual talk groups, would that be in the same field as entering the group wildcard or a different field? Also, for the individual talk group, would I choose “private” as a group or just leave it at “group”? I think this might possibly be what I might be doing wrong.

ScannerSK

So, when you say individual talk groups, would that be in the same field as entering the group wildcard or a different field?
You would use the same procedure used to create the wildcard. The only difference is instead of "wildcard" the ID would be the talkgroup number.

Also, for the individual talk group, would I choose “private” as a group or just leave it at “group”? I think this might possibly be what I might be doing wrong.
Use group as your setting for basically everything.

I don't recall ever hearing anything private even though I have a private wildcard programmed into my scanners. Private could be maybe a phone call or a unit to unit conversation which is apparently not utilized on the Colorado system.

Shawn

Jn2022

So, when you say individual talk groups, would that be in the same field as entering the group wildcard or a different field? Also, for the individual talk group, would I choose “private” as a group or just leave it at “group”? I think this might possibly be what I might be doing wrong.

Jn2022

Shoot, ok. That’s what I’ve been doing. I have the analog frequencies you provided as conventional already but was just trying the other frequencies to see if it would work once the county switched over to WISCOM

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am working on an ARC500 file for Door and Kewaunee Counties. The 3 sites in Door County and the 4 sites in Kewaunee County are each setup on a separate scan list so that you will be able to easily determine which sites are within range by selecting scan lists. The conventional frequencies for Door County will be in scan list 8. The work on the WISCOM trunked system is completed. I will attach the file when the conventional frequencies are completed for you to be able to program your scanner.

Jn2022

I am working on an ARC500 file for Door and Kewaunee Counties. The 3 sites in Door County and the 4 sites in Kewaunee County are each setup on a separate scan list so that you will be able to easily determine which sites are within range by selecting scan lists. The conventional frequencies for Door County will be in scan list 8. The work on the WISCOM trunked system is completed. I will attach the file when the conventional frequencies are completed for you to be able to program your scanner.
Wow!!!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!! Now, will I just need a programming cable? If so, I will get one ordered right away. I’m not sure if it’s been updated at all either as far as firmware. I bought it used but it looks brand new. Would you recommend I do that also

tvengr

Well Known Member
This cable will work: (whistlergroup.com) You will need to install the driver for the cable: (whistlergroup.com) Download and run the CDM20830_Setup.exe application to install the driver. Do not download the Whistler CPU updater to update your firmware. It may brick your scanner. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 Basic. Go to the Scanner tab and Upload to Scanner. When you first program the scanner, all 7 sites and the Door County conventional frequencies will be scanning. Turn off the sites you do not want by pressing the corresponding scan list number on the keypad. Pressing its scan list number will toggle a site on and off. You can turn off all of the sites and listen to each one individually to determine which ones are within range and carry the traffic you want to monitor. Scan lists as follows:
SCAN LISTS:
1. WISCOM Brussels
2. WISCOM Carlsvlle
3. WISCOM SisterBay
4. WISCOM Kewaunee
5. WISCOM Luxemburg
6. WISCOM Kew East
7. WISCOM Algoma
8. Door Co Conv

Attachments

• Door_Kewaunee Co WI GR5.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 7

Jn2022

This cable will work: (whistlergroup.com) You will need to install the driver for the cable: (whistlergroup.com) Download and run the CDM20830_Setup.exe application to install the driver. Do not download the Whistler CPU updater to update your firmware. It may brick your scanner. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 Basic. Go to the Scanner tab and Upload to Scanner. When you first program the scanner, all 7 sites and the Door County conventional frequencies will be scanning. Turn off the sites you do not want by pressing the corresponding scan list number on the keypad. Pressing its scan list number will toggle a site on and off. You can turn off all of the sites and listen to each one individually to determine which ones are within range and carry the traffic you want to monitor. Scan lists as follows:
SCAN LISTS:
1. WISCOM Brussels
2. WISCOM Carlsvlle
3. WISCOM SisterBay
4. WISCOM Kewaunee
5. WISCOM Luxemburg
6. WISCOM Kew East
7. WISCOM Algoma
8. Door Co Conv
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the time you took to help me!! Do you think I should also install the lastest DSP and firmware seeing that I would have the cable anyways? I’m not sure when it was done last. Again tvengr, thank you!!!!!

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.