GRE PSR-900 Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The booth display placard says "Digital" but makes no reference to P25. I'm thinking the '900 is a mobile version of the '700.

P25 is digital. The PSR-700 is an analog scanner.

Also, I'm a bit surprised to see you make a post like that. I thought it was a newbie suggesting that for a minute there. :eek:

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Remote head

I applaud them for remoting the standard head so there is no additional cost, but where the heck are we supposed to find metal to attach the magnets to though? I am a bit disappointed that the controls appear to be similar to the 800 which it is apparently based on, simply because they don't lend themselves to operating while driving. Some buttons corresponding to scan groups would have been nice and would allow you to enable/disable scan groups easily without going in the ditch.

SCPD

QRT
P25 is digital. The PSR-700 is an analog scanner.

Also, I'm a bit surprised to see you make a post like that. I thought it was a newbie suggesting that for a minute there. :eek:
Meh. What do I know?

Seriously, the placard lists LTR, EDACS and Motorola but not P25. Me thinks (dangerous I know) the radio is analog like the '700.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Meh. What do I know?

Seriously, the placard lists LTR, EDACS and Motorola but not P25. Me thinks (dangerous I know) the radio is analog like the '700.

35406d1326259103-gre-ces-2012-ces-psr-900.jpg

SCPD

QRT
LOL! Someone else pointed me to the same image. Thanks c6 and Kevin. It does indeed say "Project 25".

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I think it would have been better to have SD card slot on the remote head. Think about if you installed the body under a seat or in the trunk? It would be a pain to switch out the card.

My guess is to prevent card corruption via the possible cable disconnect at the "wrong moment". Or in layman's terms - idiot proofing, but I digress :wink:

The flat cable for connecting the head to the body looks like a normal CAT5 cable, only flat.

That would be good - then you could replace it with one of your chosen length.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
it says "digital"

... read it again...

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Well, I began to use GRE exclusively when they were the first to offer the RadioID feature. When I filled up my PSR-500 with RIDs to the point it ran out of memory, I bought the PSR-800 and couldn't be happier. I do have to admit, I liked the number pad on my 500 alot better than the 800 for mobile scanning, but the SD card with virtually unlimited systems, RIDs, alpha tagging and even the software puts GRE above Uniden IMHO and I'll be adding a 900 to my list. As far as simulcast systems go, the ROAM feature rocks.

Like I said, I just with they had an easier way to select scangroups like a number pad used with the function key like the 500 on the 900....and take that squelch knob and make it a volume control knob! Stick the cable in the rear for the remote vs the side and I'd say it's better than anything else out there. As far as a speaker in the head, buy a remote speaker or hook the jack into your vehicle's line in...scanning in stereo !

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I don't know. It looks to me like they should have just designed the 800 so they could make a docking station with speaker, remote head, external antenna jack, etc. It would be just like they ones we used to put our Motorola portables in while in the vehicle.

I would have much rather seen a new scanner that had the memory management of the 800 and the features of the 500/600 that are missing from the 800.

Just my $.02

Rich C

Last edited:

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
I would like it even better if it had bluetooth in addition to a provision for an external speaker.

I find listening to a scanner in the car far less distracting if I have an earpiece in one ear only. My mind seems to be able to focus on the ambient road sounds through my left ear and ignore the right when necessary. When I hear everything through both ears I am more likely to be distracted. Maybe it is just me, but I have logged more than a million miles in 35 years of driving and have never hit anything, nor been hit.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Note the logos above and below the up/down arrows on the directional pad.

Also I agree. The connector coming out the side of the control head will hopefully not be the location for final production. I hate that. Some ham radio companies do it too... it's like they aren't thinking about how people plan to mount it.

Also cool accessory idea for any GRE person browsing the thread... a DIN mount for just the control head. Maybe one that fits slightly smaller euro-din style opening's as well so for those of us with Asian and European vehicles can mount the control head under a single DIN radio in our Double-DIN head unit space :)

Agree on the connector coming out the side! How can you mount it in the car with a cable sticking out the side?

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, a right angle option might be better for the cable. It would be great to see some additional pictures of the cable and ports.

RadioDaze

Agree on the connector coming out the side! How can you mount it in the car with a cable sticking out the side?
But how can you mount it magnetically on a flat surface with the cable coming out of the back?

It may be that the magnets are not only for mounting the head to a dashboard, but to the main radio itself. Most ham radios I've seen have an included clip-in mount with the separation kit, but it doesn't look like GRE went that route.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
It may be that the magnets are not only for mounting the head to a dashboard, but to the main radio itself.

Do you suppose the two circles on the front of the main body in the pic above are opposing magnets then? That would make sense...unlike your sig :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.