Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
One will be heading back to service the first of next week, I was waiting on the weather issues in TX to get resolved and back to some semblance of normal..

I let them know. I also sent you a PM if your unit is not already boxed. (well, I sent the PM even if it is boxed...) :cool:

But if it is not boxed I would like you to try something.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Is there anyway of telling which filter the SDS100 is choosing when it's set to "Auto"? Knowing this could make manually setting the best one a lot simpler.
Auto would be a lot more useful if the optimal filter for each frequency was cached, so you only had slow scanning the first scan cycle after boot, or after location control toggling something on.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Here's something I know seen posted a few times that I experienced since I've had the SDS 100. At times when I turn the scanner on, it boots up and "locks up" on a system without voice. I turn it off, and back on again and it behaves normally. It's been suggested to swap out SD cards which I've done without resolution. It's odd, but the scanner is not inoperable and problem is easily resolved. :unsure:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Keep a log of which system it hangs on. Look at settings for that system.

randycsz

Premium Subscriber
IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR UNIDEN.

Their customer and repair service now is one of the worst in the industry.

They've had my Home Patrol II for 2 months for repair. I've called 3 times looking for an update, spoke twice with Jenna and once with Caleb. All three times they promised someone would get back to me. No one ever did. It's those broken promises and violation of trust that causes a company to go from respected to hacks.

Today I asked if Caleb if he could call the warehouse to get an estimate. He said "No". I asked if I could speak to a supervisor. He said "No". When your ONLY recourse is to publically complain on a forum, it's a sign the company is starting a downward spiral.

It's unfortunate that other scanner companies haven't quite caught up with Uniden in tech specs. I imagine it won't be long, and rest assured it will be the first time I'll be a non Uniden scanner, and that dates back to the old Bearcat III

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Auto would be a lot more useful if the optimal filter for each frequency was cached, so you only had slow scanning the first scan cycle after boot, or after location control toggling something on.

For each frequency or for each system?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR UNIDEN.

Their customer and repair service now is one of the worst in the industry.

They've had my Home Patrol II for 2 months for repair. I've called 3 times looking for an update, spoke twice with Jenna and once with Caleb. All three times they promised someone would get back to me. No one ever did. It's those broken promises and violation of trust that causes a company to go from respected to hacks.

Today I asked if Caleb if he could call the warehouse to get an estimate. He said "No". I asked if I could speak to a supervisor. He said "No". When your ONLY recourse is to publically complain on a forum, it's a sign the company is starting a downward spiral.

It's unfortunate that other scanner companies haven't quite caught up with Uniden in tech specs. I imagine it won't be long, and rest assured it will be the first time I'll be a non Uniden scanner, and that dates back to the old Bearcat III

Wrong thread, but can you PM me the SRO number?

Ubbe

Maybe, but only if you are stationary. It's function are to aid in filter settings while on the move, where the influenceis from interfering transmitters will constantly change and might need the filter settings to change often.

The stored/cached settings might be the incorrect ones just after a short time and the scanner are stuck in a bad decode mode.

The auto setting only tests 2 different settings, or perhaps 3, Off-Normal-Invert in the Auto setting and Off-WideNormal-WideInvert in the Wide Auto setting. If you select to use Wide Auto it might be that Normal or Invert are the best filter but those are not tried. If all settings where tried in Auto it would slow down scan rate even more. Then you have the IFX setting that also could make a huge difference to an interfered reception, and that are not included in either Auto settings.

I believe that having the filter from auto setting show up on the display would be a big help to see how the scanner actually operates in real life and how often it will change the filter setting. It would also be usefull for test purposes to include a mode where all settings are included in Auto, even the IFX, like when you initially set the scanner up for home use.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're moving, the cached setting would get cleared as items get toggled on and off. There's not much benefit to refreshing the optimal filter setting constantly, it's what makes Auto mostly useless right now. It slows scanning down too much. At a minimum, you should have to move at least a mile or two before the cached setting gets refreshed.

Showing the chosen optimal filter setting is a good idea though.

b52hbuff

Yyyy-mm-dd for folder name, and hh-mm-ss for file name sorts a lot nicer.
I think it was changed from a yy/mm/dd format to the hex format due to some other software timing issue. The little CPU in the SDS only has so much horsepower. I think there was something in the longer directory names that caused the radio to choke on something else. So they shortened the format to fix some other issue...

SDS100FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

1.07.02 Main Release Notes (01/25/2019)
  • Removes "Original" filter test setting.
  • Improves an issue where the keypad could be slow to respond when recording if there were many recordings on the SD card.
    • Note that the sub-directory name for recordings has changed to a shorter format which is a hex-encoded version of the date and time. If keylag is still present, delete all recordings from the scanner so that the long-format directory names are eliminated.

b52hbuff

I think it was changed from a yy/mm/dd format to the hex format due to some other software timing issue. The little CPU in the SDS only has so much horsepower. I think there was something in the longer directory names that caused the radio to choke on something else. So they shortened the format to fix some other issue...

SDS100FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

1.07.02 Main Release Notes (01/25/2019)
  • Removes "Original" filter test setting.
  • Improves an issue where the keypad could be slow to respond when recording if there were many recordings on the SD card.
    • Note that the sub-directory name for recordings has changed to a shorter format which is a hex-encoded version of the date and time. If keylag is still present, delete all recordings from the scanner so that the long-format directory names are eliminated.
I hope this software release helps ground all of the "pie in the sky" talk about all of the new stuff you want the radio to do. In a former life, I worked at a networking company you've all heard about. When a packet was presented to the CPU, you only had so much time to process it before the next one could come in. Try and do too much stuff and you start dropping packets.

In the case of an embedded CPU in a radio, there are only so many cycles when the squelch breaks. One of the outstanding bugs is that the display doesn't properly display all of the signal data (e.g. SysID, NetID, etc), because it is displaying information impropery cached from the last reception. Adding more stuff for the radio to do (e.g. check a channel record status) just adds more extra stuff that needs to be done, when the radio can't keep up with what it is already supposed to do. If there were enough extra CPU cycles to keep the long directory name, then they would have been kept. So it was easier to make a simple change to truncate the directory names to something less user friendly than to try and optimize the "squelch open / now what?" program path...

JoeBearcat, please don't lose sight of the fact that the radio has to perform its basic functionality with the current CPU cycles before you attempt to add more features to that limited number of cycles.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Wrong thread, but can you PM me the SRO number?

Re: IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR UNIDEN.

Just to provide some closure to this, the customer was waiting for the repair and the service dept was waiting for the payment for the repair. While there are some CSR issues involved, this is the core of the delay.

BC2001

Jesse
@JoeBearcat.

Is there any interest in getting the Siren appworking good?

I would love to be able to use it with my BCD536HP, if that ship hasn't already sailed (as in it's too late now to fix it).

Thanks either way!

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has been posted already however, when I use quick keys on my 100, .1.2 is for my county PD (which I normally leave off) and .2.2 is a simulcast site for a neighboring county. Whenever I press .2.2 while I only have .1 on (mainly because I'm either trying to listen to a specific call in their area or I'm going to be driving to the county within a few minutes) it turns on .1.2 so I have to turn that off specifically. I hope that is understandable, if not, I can try to describe it another way

Status
Not open for further replies.