Help with programming a 396 xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny6569

Hi all i was trying to see if anyone can help me with programming a 396 xt scanner, i know how to download everything and all but the one problem i keep running into is that my county is using all digital talk group ids, and everytime i go to download a system in this case 10 different sites right after its done i have to manually go through like 200 different talk groups to make them each digital only, is there a way to set the arc software to make them all digital only before i download the sites ? it takes forever to do it manually, and also can anyone also tell me how to shut off the quick keys also ? because right after i download a system i have to shut off like 55 quick keys too, anyone ? Thanks Danny...

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
I just use Excel to massage the data when I need to make mass changes that the software doesn't support. I export or copy the information to Excel, make the mass changes, and import or paste back into the software. I used to do that a lot with ARC for the 780 and 785 scanners. I like FreeScan a lot better for my 396 and 996 though.

blutarsky

...is there a way to set the arc software to make them all digital only before i download the sites ? it takes forever to do it manually, and also can anyone also tell me how to shut off the quick keys also ? because right after i download a system i have to shut off like 55 quick keys too, anyone ? Thanks Danny...
i just went through with doing basically the same thing -- brand new scanner and having to program from the ground-up. for my 396xt, i used freescan and i've gotta say it's been almost painless. it'll do everything you want to do.

as for your first question, in freescan when you're editing the groups, there's a select box for audio type (for instance, in one of my groups i just checked it shows the options All/Analog Only/Digital Only).

for your second question, shutting off quick keys, there's a handy-dandy "system quick key manager" under the tools menu. it shows 100 checkboxes for 0-99, and when you mouse over the box for a number it'll show you which sytems are assigned to that quick key. i've deselected all but the two systems i want to hear as default and it works great.

additionally, for each system, there's the ability to toggle the 0-9 group quick keys so you can define which groups are selected for each system.

i had a similar desire as you seem to have to turn most things off except what i want explicitly on, and freescan has worked perfectly in that regard. i only just got this for christmas and i've got 10 systems with 15 sites and ~50 groups spread amongst them and the organization is working great (it'd be absolutely perfect if only they would address that p25 simulcast choppiness problem discussed in another thread, but i digress).

anyway -- freescan, it works.

EDIT TO ADD: one other thing i forgot is the "EZ-Grab!" function to import frequencies from your clipboard -- TRULY very helpful. it's not as nice as a paid subscription to be able to directly import from the RR db, but i went through the database and simply highlighted and right-click-copy the whole tables i wanted, and when clicking EZ-Grab you choose to copy from clipboard, and it shows you the table it imported and you get to choose which columns are used for which fields (frequency, modulation, tgid, displayed name, etc).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.