Help with Proscan setup for broadcasting my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK Thanks I probably wont need to do this. I set this up so only I can listen on phone when around yard or if I go out. One thing tho....I turned off metadata but the audio and what displays on screen is waaaaaay off and not calibrated. I played around with different settings (delay) but nothing I tried helps.
The audio and metadata leaves ProScan in sync. It's the network buffer in the audio player that's doing it. Where are you looking at the metadata? If on the web page then the delay setting will help.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
OK Thanks I probably wont need to do this. I set this up so only I can listen on phone when around yard or if I go out. One thing tho....I turned off metadata but the audio and what displays on screen is waaaaaay off and not calibrated. I played around with different settings (delay) but nothing I tried helps.

You need to experiment with the delay setting, the actual value that will work for you depends on the audio player in your phone, connections etc. Set correctly for your needs, on your phone..... it will sync the audio with the virtual scanner display perfectly.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The audio and metadata leaves ProScan in sync. It's the network buffer in the audio player that's doing it. Where are you looking at the metadata? If on the web page then the delay setting will help.
looking at metadata on both web server and in Proscan. I have gone thru every setting from 0 to about 15 and no change. In Proscan I originally had it set in metadata source under web server tab to get metadata from scanner....then I figured the display shows anyway on the web server so I didnt need nmetadata. But the audio and display is way out of whack. I tested delay from 0 up to about 15 seconds and no change.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You need to experiment with the delay setting, the actual value that will work for you depends on the audio player in your phone, connections etc. Set correctly for your needs, on your phone..... it will sync the audio with the virtual scanner display perfectly.

So what do I do to try to correct this, do I adjust the delay in phone and on web server page to the same value? I tried that but still no good.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So what do I do to try to correct this, do I adjust the delay in phone and on web server page to the same value? I tried that but still no good.

When you are looking at the web browser on your phone.... the delay can be set for 0 - 60 seconds. Be sure to start the audio (click the play button on the player). If you set the delay to 20 seconds, you will need to wait 20 seconds to see how your setting has affected the sync. Depending on your browser etc. you may have to refresh the page and re-start the audio each time you change that setting. Then wait for the audio to start to see if it is in sync.

On my phone, 4 seconds works perfectly, and on a remote computer, it sometimes requires as much as 26 - 27 seconds.... depending on the ISP, OS, and browser used.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
When you are looking at the web browser on your phone.... the delay can be set for 0 - 60 seconds. Be sure to start the audio (click the play button on the player). If you set the delay to 20 seconds, you will need to wait 20 seconds to see how your setting has affected the sync. Depending on your browser etc. you may have to refresh the page and re-start the audio each time you change that setting. Then wait for the audio to start to see if it is in sync.

On my phone, 4 seconds works perfectly, and on a remote computer, it sometimes requires as much as 26 - 27 seconds.... depending on the ISP, OS, and browser used.

View attachment 88713
OK I will try this thank you

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Not any change no matter what I do. I cant even find a setting that close......I dont get it. If I have a 4 second delay set, its nowhere near 4 seconds. and I tried 30 sec, 60 sec but it keeps getting worse.

When you are looking at your phone's browser, (and only your phone, don't look or listen to your computer... it will only confuse you)...

Open the web page for your scanner on your phone and start the audio. When you see the virtual scanner stop on a transmission, start counting seconds until you hear the audio (that matches that transmission) come through your phone. That is the amount of seconds to set for the delay using the drop-down on the web page. Refresh the web page and re-start the audio. Look in that delay drop-down and confirm that the delay you set is shown in that box.

Wait for a few more transmissions and observe if there is still a delay from when you see the scanner stop on a transmission and hearing the audio for that transmission. You may need to fine tune a time or 2 after the initial setting.

If you find that even up to 60 seconds of delay isn't enough, there are other issues affecting your setup.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
When you are looking at your phone's browser, (and only your phone, don't look or listen to your computer... it will only confuse you)...

Open the web page for your scanner on your phone and start the audio. When you see the virtual scanner stop on a transmission, start counting seconds until you hear the audio (that matches that transmission) come through your phone. That is the amount of seconds to set for the delay using the drop-down on the web page. Refresh the web page and re-start the audio. Look in that delay drop-down and confirm that the delay you set is shown in that box.

Wait for a few more transmissions and observe if there is still a delay from when you see the scanner stop on a transmission and hearing the audio for that transmission. You may need to fine tune a time or 2 after the initial setting.

If you find that even up to 60 seconds of delay isn't enough, there are other issues affecting your setup.

OK let me try that, thank you

LukeB

Somewhat related to this delay in audio/metadata, is there a way to shorten or basically reduce the latency in tapping an input and it actually taking place on the scanner? I can understand it while on the outside address but if connected to the same network, it seems to be a bit of a pain to try to lock on a channel with a 20 second delay.

I've managed to sync the display and audio using the dropdown on the mobile device but cannot get the inputs to be shortened.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Somewhat related to this delay in audio/metadata, is there a way to shorten or basically reduce the latency in tapping an input and it actually taking place on the scanner? I can understand it while on the outside address but if connected to the same network, it seems to be a bit of a pain to try to lock on a channel with a 20 second delay.

I've managed to sync the display and audio using the dropdown on the mobile device but cannot get the inputs to be shortened.
Negative. ProScan doesn't have a buffer that can cause a delay. Try using WinAmp. Others and I have seen about a 3 second latency.
Also you may want to try the RSOIP feature. It doesn't have a latency because of the built in audio player.

LukeB

Okay. Using Winamp, is that on my mobile browser or device or is that on the PC hosting Proscan? Also, for RSOIP, does it matter if I use Server or Client? So far, I have not been able to get it to work.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Okay. Using Winamp, is that on my mobile browser or device or is that on the PC hosting Proscan? Also, for RSOIP, does it matter if I use Server or Client? So far, I have not been able to get it to work.
Winamp desktop version latency is about 3 seconds. I'm not sure on the latency on the mobile version. Winamp is used on the browser side. Make you device so when you click on the Listen Live link, Winamp loads.

On the RSOIP Question. You need both. The RSOIP Server is on the side connected to the scanner. The RSOIP Client connects to the RSOIP Server.

{edit} RSOIP may not be the right solution for you if you are just using a mobile device to connect to the server. It's because the RSOIP Client is part of ProScan which is not a mobile app.

Last edited:

LukeB

I'm mainly looking to control the scanner remotely, either from within my home network or on the road. If I'm scanning and I catch a transmission I want to listen to, it takes well over 15 seconds for the scanner to stop, which stops randomly on an errant channel.

I have not been successful in getting Winamp to serve as my main audio option while connecting to the scanner remotely. Any Android users have any tips?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm mainly looking to control the scanner remotely, either from within my home network or on the road. If I'm scanning and I catch a transmission I want to listen to, it takes well over 15 seconds for the scanner to stop, which stops randomly on an errant channel.

I have not been successful in getting Winamp to serve as my main audio option while connecting to the scanner remotely. Any Android users have any tips?
I'm not an Android user but perhaps I can help some.
The media player doesn't have to be launched from the web page. If you want that then google "how to set default apps on android"
If you want to use your media player without messing with the default app setup then just load it then enter in the URL like this:

Not password protected

Password protected

Substitute your IP Address. If using WiFi then use the local address. If on cell data then use the remote address.
Assuming the Web Server port # is 5000.
Assuming the Stream Name is "stream".
Substitute "mypassword" with your password if password protected.

LukeB

Thank you for the suggestion @ProScan . I can get the audio through the Windows version of Winamp no problem. Obviously, no scanner control through Winamp.

If anyone else has any tips on how to get a URL into Winamp for Android, I'm all ears. Again, I'm mainly looking to use the remote control feature for the scanner using a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.