Hennepin County - Scanner Recommendation

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
What would the SDS200 would miss? If the SDS200 is connected to the network and logging to a PC, it would capture everything.
You're going to miss whatever the sds200 isnt listening to a the time. SDR can take it all in at once so you never miss hearing a thing. And it does it at a fraction of the cost. I used proscan for years and then when SDR and will never go back to a conventional scanner. The SDR is far ahead in functionality and versatility. Unless you have a specific need I cannot see a justification for spending that much for something that does less.

Can you track trunked conversations? Also, I do want the scanner so it can set on the counter and do its thing. The SDR can do nothing without a computer I would need to have a laptop, mini-pc or something similar sitting on the counter with a dongle sticking out of it. That does not seem ideal, nor cheaper. For my use case I think the scanner is a better alternative. I already have the RTL-SDR and it is fun to tinker with but for me it would not replace a scanner.

During a quick chat, Claude GPT pointed out this.

"For simulcast and advanced P25 capabilities, dedicated scanners like the Uniden SDS100 still offer better performance"

I know you can do trunking (two RTL-SDR's needed?) but simulcasting I am less sure of. Since my primary use is emergency services, I think that both features are necessary in Hennepin county. No?

stmills

I primarily listen to Hennepin East, Minneapolis and Hennepin West are the next most.
My daily grab and go scanner is a BCD-396T which if adjusted correctly and does a decent job. For logging and system analysis I have 2 sdr setup. My primary sdr setup is an 8” windows tablet with a travel case. The SDR is mounted inside the case and the antenna comes out the top. It is smaller than many table to scanners. I used a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard when doing editing but for general operation the touchscreen works great. I run DSD fast lane and use a single dongle.
My other is on a standard laptop and is really used as a secondary use of the laptop and if I am going somewhere where I need the laptop I likely will bring the dongle so I can run a scanner too.

bearcatrp

Wow, a 396T. I used to own one of those. Was a ***** learning it but once I figured it out, did good on P25. Interesting your using a win tablet. Thought that OS was different than regular windows. What win version is on your tablet?

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Can you track trunked conversations? Also, I do want the scanner so it can set on the counter and do its thing. The SDR can do nothing without a computer I would need to have a laptop, mini-pc or something similar sitting on the counter with a dongle sticking out of it. That does not seem ideal, nor cheaper. For my use case I think the scanner is a better alternative. I already have the RTL-SDR and it is fun to tinker with but for me it would not replace a scanner.

During a quick chat, Claude GPT pointed out this.

"For simulcast and advanced P25 capabilities, dedicated scanners like the Uniden SDS100 still offer better performance"

I know you can do trunking (two RTL-SDR's needed?) but simulcasting I am less sure of. Since my primary use is emergency services, I think that both features are necessary in Hennepin county. No
Yes you can track conversations, you can record every conversation simultaneously. You dont need the laptop to be on the counter, you can stick it in a closet and listen from you phone. My computer doesnt even have monitor. It lives in a room I rarely go in and I do everything remotely.

As for cost it is cheaper. SDS200 is around ~700. an Airspy is around 150 and you can build a computer for 2-300 or you can buy something new/used for similar. If you do rtls it'll be cheaper but I prefer airspys.

From my experience Claude GPT is wrong. I have three airspys running on three systems (anoka, ramsey, washington) all with near flawless audio all on simulcast systems which I had difficulty with my uniden scanners.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I am in the NW metro (Maple Grove, Champlin, Anoka). IHow can I find those PD's and determine if they are encrypted or not?

asnope

You're going to miss whatever the sds200 isnt listening to a the time. SDR can take it all in at once so you never miss hearing a thing. And it does it at a fraction of the cost. I used proscan for years and then when SDR and will never go back to a conventional scanner. The SDR is far ahead in functionality and versatility. Unless you have a specific need I cannot see a justification for spending that much for something that does less.
Just getting into this SDR, ordered a RTL-STR V.3 with antenna kit. do you have a recommendation for best software(windows)? Intend to listen to ARMER Broadcast of Minneapolis Police and Fire, conventional RR and Air.