HP-2: Home Patrol 3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic7s

SDS100 is seeming to get everyone excited. So maybe they would only need to change the UI to make an HP3. I’m attracted to the ease of use b/c I want to use it in the car. I don’t want to be messing with small buttons and changing banks while driving.

I would really like to see WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS built in. These should be table stakes features in 2018+
They have them in other units (with bolt ons). The HP is not ultra compact so space should not be an issue.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
SDS100
I would really like to see WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS built in. These should be table stakes features in 2018+ They have them in other units (with bolt ons). The HP is not ultra compact so space should not be an issue.

Perhaps since you believe it to be so easy, you should commence to engineering a scanner with the features you want. Many would buy it.

magic7s

Uniden had some comments on that a while ago:

https://forums.radioreference.com/2150557-post17.html

Makes sense but $30 smart phone has all of these features. Car entertainment systems have all of these features and use SDR hardware to receive many sources.

I would love to make something myself but that’s not my skill set. I admire Uniden for their software, especially after messing with SDR and open source projects.
As a consumer I can only ask for what I want and vote with my wallet. If they don’t do it, someone else will.

marksmith

Every scanner out there has a spotty history except the sds100 by that definition
Simulcast problems like 436, no DMR. Maybe "spotty history" was not the best term. It's been relatively free of technical problems.

For what it does, I still love it.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

marksmith

I never have seen a $30 smart phone. Most are hundreds of dollars.... higher cost than most scanners.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense but $30 smart phone has all of these features. Car entertainment systems have all of these features and use SDR hardware to receive many sources.

I would love to make something myself but that’s not my skill set. I admire Uniden for their software, especially after messing with SDR and open source projects.
As a consumer I can only ask for what I want and vote with my wallet. If they don’t do it, someone else will.

If you have a $30 phone, it's not smart, not digital, not current and probably flips open.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They have them in other units (with bolt ons). The HP is not ultra compact so space should not be an issue.

Actually it is. I've managed to install a GPS in the HP2, but there isn't room for a power switch.

There's more interior room in both the 436 and the SDS100.

tp3244

I think what magic7s means is that the HP3 could grow a little bigger than the HP2 if it needed to in order to incorporate more functionality, as its selling point is not its form factor / portability, but rather ease of use and large touch screen.

Also I can confirm my Dad's $30 flip (non-smart) phone has bluetooth built in. Also worth mentioning that the Unication G4 and G5 pagers (about 1/2 - 2/3rds the size of an SDS-100) have built in bluetooth.

I would bet the HP3 could concentrate on P25 simulcast networks and perhaps give up some performance of other, less used networks. The average Joe (like me) is going to be buying HP3 to monitor their local public safety system (probably P25 and likely simulcast in 2018+) and maybe some older analog trunking stuff too, but not much else. If people want to monitor esoteric frequencies/bands they can get the SDS-100

If Uniden made an HP3 that was like the above I might be interested, assuming the P25 simulcast performance/reception was on par with the G5. While we're at it, if the HP3 had a killer hi-res display that would be another selling point.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Also I can confirm my Dad's $30 flip (non-smart) phone has bluetooth built in. Also worth mentioning that the Unication G4 and G5 pagers (about 1/2 - 2/3rds the size of an SDS-100) have built in bluetooth.

Yes, but neither one of those are wide band receivers.

In general, transmitters in close proximity to wide-band receivers are a poor combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.