HP-2: HomePatrol-II Questions: Range and Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwooood2

New to this HP-2, So I have questions!
Just purchased a HP-2 after being without for several years. The ease (and frustration) of only inputting a zip for programing is quite different. I was used to putting in each frequency [save] and adding the next.
1. I've been trying to find a post about adding additional frequencies not found in the RR list. Is it correct that I can only add one? if you add another it overwrites the 'single' file? Surely there is another way to add additional frequencies. I looked at ARC Patrol software, but found only one video, that was 11 years old explaining the software; but not fully explaining the inputting of frequencies such as trucked #'s. Is the ARC program antiquated at this point? Would a scanner such as Bearcat BCD536HP be the same as far as being able to program frequencies? I'm still within my return window on this HP-2. I'm just not at all pleased with it. I would like to stay around that price point.
2. Out of the box, I feel as though this unit has very little range. While my last 2 units had telescopic antennas and this one has a stubby antenna, I still feel it should get better reception than what I am getting. I can open the RR online feed from the same county I am in and the HP-2 picks up nothing. I am centrally located in the county.
3. I want to be able to program trunked # that say NXDN Digital. Is that possible with this HP-2 or what scanner is capable.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
New to this HP-2, So I have questions!
Just purchased a HP-2 after being without for several years. The ease (and frustration) of only inputting a zip for programing is quite different. I was used to putting in each frequency [save] and adding the next.
1. I've been trying to find a post about adding additional frequencies not found in the RR list. Is it correct that I can only add one? if you add another it overwrites the 'single' file? Surely there is another way to add additional frequencies. I looked at ARC Patrol software, but found only one video, that was 11 years old explaining the software; but not fully explaining the inputting of frequencies such as trucked #'s. Is the ARC program antiquated at this point? Would a scanner such as Bearcat BCD536HP be the same as far as being able to program frequencies? I'm still within my return window on this HP-2. I'm just not at all pleased with it. I would like to stay around that price point.
You can add one or more additional channels using Uniden's Sentinel program, which is free to download and use. Just create one or more Favorites lists in Sentinel. You can add frequencies, as well as conventional & trunked systems. You cannot manually add a frequency to the HP-2 through the keypad unless you purchase the Extreme Upgrade, but, as noted, you can add them via Sentinel or ARC Patrol.
Sentinel (for the HP-2) can be found here:

2. Out of the box, I feel as though this unit has very little range. While my last 2 units had telescopic antennas and this one has a stubby antenna, I still feel it should get better reception than what I am getting. I can open the RR online feed from the same county I am in and the HP-2 picks up nothing. I am centrally located in the county.
If you recently bought the HP-2 new (which I presume you did, based on your comments that you still are within the returns period), the database in the scanner is well out of date, unless you have installed Sentinel, updated it's database, then downloaded the updated data to the scanner. Install Sentinel & update the database. Also review your location & range settings. An out of date database, incorrect location and/or range settings all contribute to possibly poor "out of the box" reception. Also, review your service types. When any of the Uniden database scanners are shipped, the database is likely a year or more old, and only Dispatch service types for Public Safety are enabled: Law Dispatch, Fore Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. You should also enable the Tac and Talk categories for these, such as Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc.

Location & range settings are important when using the main database, as well as any Favorites lists that you set to use Location control.
Location and range are addressed on this document:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

3. I want to be able to program trunked # that say NXDN Digital. Is that possible with this HP-2 or what scanner is capable.

NXDN is not possible with the HP-2. Nor is DMR.

The Uniden 436HP. 536HP, SDS100, and SDS200 all can get the paid upgrade for NXDN, and/or DMR if you need that as well.

Unlike the HP-2, you can enter frequencies into Favorites lists using the keypad on any of these four scanners. You can also create lists, as well as add or edit frequencies in Sentinel. These 4 use a different version of Sentinel, but it is available free to download and install. Like the HP-2, you need Sentinel to maintain the master database used in Sentinel as well as the scanner. The comments about updating the database when you get your scanner, along with service types, range, and location apply to these scanners as well if using only the main data.

Sentinel software for these four scanners can be found here (it is a different version from the one used for the HP-1 & HP-2):

Also available are the software programs ProScan and ARC536. Besides creating and editing Favorites lists, you can also import exactly what you want from the RadioReference database (since you are a Premium Subscriber).

Besides editing, ProScan also has virtual control of your scanner using your computer, as well as logging of activity & a number of other features. Besides these four scanners, ProScan supports a large number of other Uniden scanners.

ARC 536 Basic is for creating and editing Favorites lists, and a few other things. It's cost is about $40.
The Pro version, about $70, also adds virtual control & logging, among other things.

Both programs have a 30 day free trial period before you have to either purchase a license for the software, or it quits working. Both ProScan, as well as the ARC software offer lifetime updates.

You did not mention a location other than simply "Kentucky". You might provide a little more information, such as your county, or city, to help others get an idea of what you need. If you are in a Simulcast systems area, you may have problems with any scanner other than the SDS100 or SDS200.
More on Simulcast here: Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

uwooood2

Thank you for the GREAT, very informative response. I have decided that my unit is not functioning properly. I did the update on initial installation (firmware and database) but I still have little to no traffic. It's the same when I am at home or at work. Work is McCracken County - Western KY, which is online. Lots of traffic online and ZERO on this unit. I am taking this opportunity to replace it with one of the units you mentioned. I think I will have better luck with SDS100. Again, your info is very informative. Thanks!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the GREAT, very informative response. I have decided that my unit is not functioning properly. I did the update on initial installation (firmware and database) but I still have little to no traffic. It's the same when I am at home or at work. Work is McCracken County - Western KY, which is online. Lots of traffic online and ZERO on this unit. I am taking this opportunity to replace it with one of the units you mentioned. I think I will have better luck with SDS100. Again, your info is very informative. Thanks!!
You're welcome.

Looking at McCracken County, more specifically at the FCC licenses, I see that your state has received a new license (effective last September) for a block of 700MHz frequencies. Comments in the original license application (look at the comments under the Admin tab, under the Attachments category) indicate that these will be used for a statewide 700MHz system. See this thread down in the Kentucky forum for more information:

This is probably still a ways off, but it may be good to keep an eye on it.

Incidentally, if you have created some Favorites lists for your HP-2, you can export those into an hpe file, wheich can then be imported into the Sentinel version that covers the x36HP & SDS series scanners. While these other scanners have more options in their programming, such as the ability to set quick keys, priority channels among other features, the base programming for conventional channels & trunked systems is the same. You can import your HP-2 list and then flesh it out with the features that the SDS100, or one of the x36HP scanners, have available. That's what I did to jump start programming my original 436HP- exported Favorites used by my HP-1/-2 scanners, & imported them into the version of Sentinel for those scanners. You can, of course, download & install Sentinel for your forthcoming scanner before it actually arrives. There are literally dozens of YouTube videos on programming the SDS and x36HP scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.