HomePatrol II vs. SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcanccit

Geek-Broadcast Engineer-Computer Dude-Scanner Dude
Can anyone give me any pros/cons to switching from the HPII to the SDS200? I was reading the forums about the simulcast systems which led me to read a bit about the SDS200. Amazon reviews give it a lot of praise. Thank you in advance. My last post in this forum was when I bought the HPII when I lived in Phoenix...now I am out in Memphis, TN so hello to any of you out in the midsouth :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone give me any pros/cons to switching from the HPII to the SDS200? I was reading the forums about the simulcast systems which led me to read a bit about the SDS200. Amazon reviews give it a lot of praise. Thank you in advance. My last post in this forum was when I bought the HPII when I lived in Phoenix...now I am out in Memphis, TN so hello to any of you out in the midsouth :)
The current system used in Memphis & Shelby County appears to be this one:

That's a Motorola Type II system that your HP-2 should be able to monitor without many issues. However, looking at the county's database page, it appears that they will be shifting to a P25 Phase II system the end of this year. While your HP-2 can deal with Phase II, it struggles seriously in trying to handle simulcast sites. The main site on the new system is simulcast. Unless you live very close (say a quarter mile) from one of the transmit towers, you likely will suffer all the problems caused by Simulcast Distortion. Here's the map showing the locations:

1648500958390.png
While I don't see a lot of DMR or NXDN systems in your county, there likely are more users of those formats that are not shown in the database. While none of them might be of interest to you at this time, if that changes, then the SDS200 can utilize the paid DMR and/or NXDN upgrades, The HP-2 cannot.

Vulcanccit

Thank you to MississippiPI and to Hiegtx Steve for the replies... how about general reception improvements on the SDS200 over the HPII? I live in Cordova, which is maybe 20 miles line of site from the airport and I do not get very good reception from the aviation band. The EMS/Hospital signals are great. This is just with the included antenna... I do have a discone that obviously improves things greatly, but at this house, I do not have a place to put it (yet)....matter of convincing my lovely wife for the need to put it up lol... ("but its so ugly!) hahhaha

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Regarding the HP2 and the SDS200, I own both. The only advantages I see for the SDS200 over the HP2 are 1) digital simulcast reception; 2) on-screen colors, formats, and information; 3) general form factor

In my experience, on the other hand, the HP2 might even have a slight edge over the SDS200 for analog signals. Others may report different results.

Vulcanccit

Regarding the HP2 and the SDS200, I own both. The only advantages I see for the SDS200 over the HP2 are 1) digital simulcast reception; 2) on-screen colors, formats, and information; 3) general form factor

In my experience, on the other hand, the HP2 might even have a slight edge over the SDS200 for analog signals. Others may report different results.
Thank you sir!

MStep

I have the HP2 and the SDS200. Two different animals. Like a cat and a dog. They both, eat, sleep and sh*t, but beyond that, comparisons are difficult. If you are happy with your HP2, then that's the radio for you.

And remember, no touch screen on the SDS200. But that's for another thread.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I was using an HP-2 in the car here in NYC and was missing a ton of transmissions on the NYC ICN and Metro-25 simulcast systems. Tried the 536 in the car for a few days, was better but still not hearing what the SDS100 was hearing right next to it (the 536 was hooked up to a car rooftop antenna and the SDS100 was using the rubber duck antenna) Took the SDS200 out from the house and put it in the car for a couple of hours and was hearing a lot more on both systems. I broke down and bought another SDS200 for the car. (I know they are expensive but I worked extra hours to save up money) Now I hear everything while in the car on both those simulcast systems. I should also mention I have a BCT15 and still have the HP2 in the car to listen to the non simulcast transmissions. So in summary, the SDS200 works extremely well on simulcast for me when the HP-2 did not. If you receive simulcast well with your HP-2, then don't spend your money on a SDS200.

Last edited:

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to MississippiPI and to Hiegtx Steve for the replies... how about general reception improvements on the SDS200 over the HPII? I live in Cordova, which is maybe 20 miles line of site from the airport and I do not get very good reception from the aviation band. The EMS/Hospital signals are great. This is just with the included antenna... I do have a discone that obviously improves things greatly, but at this house, I do not have a place to put it (yet)....matter of convincing my lovely wife for the need to put it up lol... ("but its so ugly!) hahhaha

Can you put discone in attic?

Vulcanccit

Yes I can and might, but I watched a review of the sds200 here on the site which mentioned the diamond antenna which might be all I need… I also ordered the 200 lol so it all comes Friday :)

Vulcanccit

I was using an HP-2 in the car here in NYC and was missing a ton of transmissions on the NYC ICN and Metro-25 simulcast systems. Tried the 536 in the car for a few days, was better but still not hearing what the SDS100 was hearing right next to it (the 536 was hooked up to a car rooftop antenna and the SDS100 was using the rubber duck antenna) Took the SDS200 out from the house and put it in the car for a couple of hours and was hearing a lot more on both systems. I broke down and bought another SDS200 for the car. (I know they are expensive but I worked extra hours to save up money) Now I hear everything while in the car on both those simulcast systems. I should also mention I have a BCT15 and still have the HP2 in the car to listen to the non simulcast transmissions. So in summary, the SDS200 works extremely well on simulcast for me when the HP-2 did not. If you receive simulcast well with your HP-2, then don't spend your money on a SDS200.
The improvements in reception where you now hear something is what I am hoping for as well as I will be prepped for the simulcast changes coming soon.. I popped for the SDS200 and a Diamond antenna… all comes Friday! Thank you and to all of you who have posted so far :) I’ll keep you posted!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The improvements in reception where you now hear something is what I am hoping for as well as I will be prepped for the simulcast changes coming soon.. I popped for the SDS200 and a Diamond antenna… all comes Friday! Thank you and to all of you who have posted so far :) I’ll keep you posted!!
Since you already have the HP-2, you're familiar with Sentinel. However, the SDS200, as well as the SDS100 and the two x36HP scanners, use a different version of Sentinel. A link to download the correct version, as well as a number of other links on various topics, can be found on this page:

Be sure & update the database once you install Sentinel, and update your scanner when it arrives. The database on the scanner will likely be well out of date when it arrives.

If you want a little 'jump start' on Favorites lists for your incoming SDS200, you can export any Favorites lists you have in the HP-2s Sentinel into *.hpe files, then import those into Sentinel for the SDS200. The HP-2s lists won't have any settings for features on the SDS200, such as quick keys and alert light settings, but the base programming (systems, departments, conventional channels & talkgroups) is the same. You will need to make sure your Profile in Sentinel for the SDS200 has all the correct Service Types enabled, as well as correct location (if you use Location Control on one or more lists).

Vulcanccit

Since you already have the HP-2, you're familiar with Sentinel. However, the SDS200, as well as the SDS100 and the two x36HP scanners, use a different version of Sentinel. A link to download the correct version, as well as a number of other links on various topics, can be found on this page:

Be sure & update the database once you install Sentinel, and update your scanner when it arrives. The database on the scanner will likely be well out of date when it arrives.

If you want a little 'jump start' on Favorites lists for your incoming SDS200, you can export any Favorites lists you have in the HP-2s Sentinel into *.hpe files, then import those into Sentinel for the SDS200. The HP-2s lists won't have any settings for features on the SDS200, such as quick keys and alert light settings, but the base programming (systems, departments, conventional channels & talkgroups) is the same. You will need to make sure your Profile in Sentinel for the SDS200 has all the correct Service Types enabled, as well as correct location (if you use Location Control on one or more lists).
Thank you so much Steve!! I remember updating the database on the HP 2 when I got that a few years back. As far as keeping favorites, I think I will start fresh as I didnt have too many favorites, I just picked and chose systems, and sometimes limited distance...or would ignore some things, but I want to see what all i can hear first ....GOOD TIP on the new Sentinel and the links!! Thank you so much!!

Vulcanccit

Well the scanner arrived today ahead of schedule :D I have to say it does indeed pick up more audio so far in the aircraft band right out of the box (after I programmed with Sentinel). I updated the firmware, bought the upgrades and I am off and running. I still need to customize it with colors and all of the cool stuff....

I do have a quick question related to the ethernet port and also with ProScan... I noticed with the ethernet port plugged in, it is causing some of the aircraft channels to come off of squelch like its interfering... 125.800 MHz is and example...

Also on Proscan... I quickly goofed with the free version...I can connect to the scanner, control it... and in the audio setup, I do see audio.... but I do not hear that audio on that PC... if I do the test tone, I do... I see it coming in showing up on source client ....so I guess I am asking is proscan really to scan other scanner servers, and if you wanted to hear the audio of your scanner, you would have to set it up as a remote server then connect with something else like VLC? I thought maybe I could connect to the scanner on the PC say from another room, and eventually make it a server and listen with like Shoutcast or something.... so in summary am I misunderstanding the ProScan auto usage?

Other than that, thank you all for the help, the links, the advice and add me to a satisfied SDS-200 owner :D

Ubbe

I do have a quick question related to the ethernet port and also with ProScan... I noticed with the ethernet port plugged in, it is causing some of the aircraft channels to come off of squelch like its interfering... 125.800 MHz is and example...
It's relates to network cables in general and not ProScan in particular. I need to use cat7 individually isolated shielded pairs and double shield braid cables in some places to avoid getting interferences from the data network. You'll notice if the cables need to be upgraded if an interference stop when you pull a cable, be it a network, USB or a computer screen cable but that can also be the display electronics and then try another vertical frequency or resolution.

/Ubbe

Vulcanccit

Well the scanner arrived today ahead of schedule :D I have to say it does indeed pick up more audio so far in the aircraft band right out of the box (after I programmed with Sentinel). I updated the firmware, bought the upgrades and I am off and running. I still need to customize it with colors and all of the cool stuff....

Also on Proscan... I quickly goofed with the free version...I can connect to the scanner, control it... and in the audio setup, I do see audio.... but I do not hear that audio on that PC... if I do the test tone, I do... I see it coming in showing up on source client ....so I guess I am asking is proscan really to scan other scanner servers, and if you wanted to hear the audio of your scanner, you would have to set it up as a remote server then connect with something else like VLC? I thought maybe I could connect to the scanner on the PC say from another room, and eventually make it a server and listen with like Shoutcast or something.... so in summary am I misunderstanding the ProScan auto usage?

Other than that, thank you all for the help, the links, the advice and add me to a satisfied SDS-200 owner :D
Engineers never read the manual! Lol I read the audio section and I see you need to capture the audio and do a loop back ;)

Vulcanccit

It's relates to network cables in general and not ProScan in particular. I need to use cat7 individually isolated shielded pairs and double shield braid cables in some places to avoid getting interferences from the data network. You'll notice if the cables need to be upgraded if an interference stop when you pull a cable, be it a network, USB or a computer screen cable but that can also be the display electronics and then try another vertical frequency or resolution.

/Ubbe
I was think it might be that… I’ll get a cat 7 and see how it flys… thank you sir!!

Vulcanccit

/Ubbe
Replying to this to hopefully help others that might have the ethernet interference...

I tried a flat cable that I had bought a while back before I had this scanner, it was a real cheap one, and that didn't help at all... So I bought this Shielded Cat 8 cable:

Amazon.com: Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 50 ft Shielded, 26AWG Lastest 40Gbps 2000Mhz SFTP Patch Cord, Heavy Duty High Speed Cat8 LAN Network RJ45 Cable- in Wall, Outdoor, Weatherproof Rated for Router, Modem, Gaming : Electronics

That also didn't all, which surprised me...

However, the same manufacturer makes this flat cable:

Amazon.com: Cat8 Ethernet Cable 50FT-Black-40Gbps Shielded & GND Solid Cores Internet Cord for Long Distance,High Speed Flat Network Computer Cable LAN Wire with RJ45 for Router,Modem,NAS,CAT7/CAT6(Free 30 Clips) : Electronics

and BOOM! success! my only thought was that the twists are probably closer together and perhaps smaller wire, less flux,.... not totally sure but it did the trick.... interference free. So I hope this helps others that might have this issue.

Thank you again to all of you who have helped and Mr. Ubbe :D

-Chuck

Ubbe

There's a slight difference to them but the one with a braid didn't work and the one without braid worked, you would think it would be the opposite.

/Ubbe

Cat8-round.jpg

cat8-flat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.