How Do I Know if it's trunked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioStart

On this page there's a list of frequencies that I'd like to program into my scanner. Are these all trunked frequencies? How do I know whether or not a frequency is trunked? Do I just assume all large systems are trunked? Thanks.

Quagmire69

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
None of those frequencies appear to be trunked. Generally speaking if a list of frequecies has what's called "Talk-Group ID's" then you know they're trunked, Also if you're listening to them on a scanner and an ID flashes on the screen, Then they're trunked.

n2mdk

If it's a trunked system it should tell you so, the dead giveaway when you look at the frequencies they are all assigned to some agency or group. That means they are simply conventional, some are also shown with a PL or DCS that's another sign they are conventional.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Talkgroups, ID, CONTROL CHANNEL, gives away a trunking system,
Also most of them are in the 800Mhz public safety, but sometimes other groups use VHF trunking but very rare for public safety

jb872033

there are also UHF trunking systems out there too...another dead giveaway is to program a frequency and if you hear really annoying buzzing it is trunked or, if you hear both sides but only part of a conversation its probablly trunked as well

JB

N8IAA

On this page there's a list of frequencies that I'd like to program into my scanner. Are these all trunked frequencies? How do I know whether or not a frequency is trunked? Do I just assume all large systems are trunked? Thanks.

Another group to consider: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socalscan
They are a wealth of knowledge for the area you want to scan. Join, and they will help you until it hurts:)
Those 800mhz frequencies are conventional with a DPL of 115. I went to visit my son at Camp Pendleton two years ago, and they were enormously helpful for what was needed to scan that area of S CA.
Larry

DickH

Why don't you join that group and ask them?

jon_k

Here's how I know.

You tune in to the frequency and I hear garbage noise that hurts my ears. That's the control frequency. When one hears it, it becomes obvious it's a trunking system.

APTN

Trunked Systems

Here's how I know.

You tune in to the frequency and I hear garbage noise that hurts my ears. That's the control frequency. When one hears it, it becomes obvious it's a trunking system.

In addition to hearing the annoying buzzing noise, your scanner may display a combination of Letters and Numbers below the frequency. If it does, that is the System ID which identifies whose network you are picking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.