How do I monitor this trunking system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I would help to know what scanner you are using, short of that everyone is going to be shooting in the dark

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Is that a trunking system? I didn't see any system info, just freqs.

Baskt_Case

Well, I came across it when looking at FCC Licenses for Green Co. Kentucky. When you click on "Business Trunked", thats what comes up.

I've seen trunked systems in the RR before but they usually have the control channels specified and whatnot. This I guess, is just raw license data and it would be up to me to figure out the right way to set up the scanner.

I have zero experience with trunking.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Green County

Ok, I have never programmed or monitored a trunked system. How would I go about listening to the following?

Click link to see system: Eastern Kentucky Power Cooperative

Dont even know where to start here.

I don't see any Law Enforcement trunking systems for Green County. I would refer to this page for programming. It would help knowing your radio and what type of programming software you are using.

Green County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

captclint

Mentor
Ok, I have never programmed or monitored a trunked system. How would I go about listening to the following?

I suspect there is an error somewhere. The repeaters are FB2, which are not usually trunked. The ones that I have seen are FB6 or FB8 for trunked systems, but I guess you'll just have to listen as conventional to see what is going on. Edit. Did some more checking, and I am not so sure about repeater class being a reliable indicator. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FCC_Station_Class_Codes

Last edited:

nd5y

I suspect there is an error somewhere. The repeaters are FB2, which are not usually trunked. The ones that I have seen are FB6 or FB8 for trunked systems, but I guess you'll just have to listen as conventional to see what is going on.

Look at the radio service code on the licenses. YG = Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked.

My guess is that this would be a LTR or Passport system.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Misunderstanding

I am sorry, but I must have misread the post. You are searching for the frequencies associated with that power company.

The page you listed showed several call signs. I could not find a trunking system for that utility in the RR DB. Sometimes, you can figure out the system by collecting all of the frequencies for each call sign and examining the Emissions Designators. Or, that is what I've done to figure out a trunking system. But, I would agree. But, I am rather lost here. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Good luck.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just a thought having lived in Southeastern KY (Floyd/Pike Cos) in years past: The frequencies you link to above just might be part of the American Electric Power EDACS system that covers a few different states.
If it is part of the AE EDACS system it would require a scanner that can track (follow) an EDACS system and unfortunately the Pro 2050 is not an EDACS capable scanner.
This is only a shot in the dark and guess based off of my previous time spent in KY.
Marshall KE4ZNR

N8IAA

If you look under the Utilities, Eastern KY Power Co-op, under business for Green County, you will see that 158.130 has a PL associated with it. It is a conventional frequency. Not a trunked frequency. Your 2050 will allow you to listen to the power company. All the frequencies with (1) to the right are repeaters. All the frequencies with (2000) are mobiles.
HTH,
Larry

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Not trunked?

If you look under the Utilities, Eastern KY Power Co-op, under business for Green County, you will see that 158.130 has a PL associated with it. It is a conventional frequency. Not a trunked frequency. Your 2050 will allow you to listen to the power company. All the frequencies with (1) to the right are repeaters. All the frequencies with (2000) are mobiles.
HTH,
Larry

Please,understand, I am mentioning this because I am trying to understand, not dispute what you're saying; however, I don't understand why this page says, "trunked."

WQMR695 (East Kentucky Power Cooperative Inc) FCC Callsign Details

I am just curious since I stumbled on this thread.

Respectfully submitted

ScannerWayne

Baskt_Case,

I see that you have a HP1 scanner as well as a pro-2050. I know very little about the HP-1 and nothing about the Pro-2050. However the HP1 should do nicely.

Looking at the data you provided it is indeed a Trunked system. My first guess would be that it's an LTR system. But I've only heard of LTR systems that use VHF frequencies, I've never actually encountered one. Offhand I would deal with it as if it's a UHF LTR system to start with.

One of the critical peices of information you left out though is exactly where you are. That would determine which towers you could pickup. I have not gone so far as to examine the location of each of the licenses you found but I would guess that they are far and wide and you can only pick up 1 or 2 of them. That will be your first task, figure out which freqs you can hear.

My suggestion would be to build a conventional system (You would use the Sentinal software to build a Favorite) and input either all the freqs you've found or take the time to determine the location of each license and pick those closest to you. Once you have found out what licenses and thier associated frequencies you can hear the tough part starts.

The HP-1 Extended firmware really shines here. I hope you have it because it will make it fairly easy to determine the LCN order (assuming that this is indeed an LTR system.). If not, then it requires a different approach.

I'll close this for now until you've located the licenses and their associated freqs that you can hear. Let us know.

Wayne...

SCPD

QRT
I don't understand why this page says, "trunked."

"....YG: Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked ...."

I don't think it's saying that it is trunked at all. It's saying that the YG clasification includes Industrial, Business in the Pool, AND Trunked....not specifying any particular one. JMHO

nd5y

DickH

If you look at all the data listed and boil it down to the most important stuff it looks like this:

The E. KY Power Coop. Inc. has 4 towers at Flemingsburg, Greensburg, Burgin and Lawhorn Hill
There are 8 freqs. on each tower. It looks as if each freq. uses 2 modes of modulation;
11K2F1D and 11K2F3E with an authorized power output of 100 Watts.

WQJW444 has 4 freqs., FB8

WQMR695 has 4 freqs., FB2

If someone chimes in with the definition of 11K2F1D and 11K2F3E then you will know just about everything.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

"....YG: Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked ...."

I don't think it's saying that it is trunked at all. It's saying that the YG clasification includes Industrial, Business in the Pool, AND Trunked....not specifying any particular one. JMHO

It was a bit confusing to me, as I stated. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.