How many scanners in your home (used & unused).

How many Scanners Used & Unused

• Five Used - Four Unused or no others

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Four Used - One Unused or no others

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Three Used - Two Unused or no others

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Two Used - Three Unused or no others

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • One Used - Four Unused or no others

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Five Used - No Others

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Four Used - No Others

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Three Used - No Others

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Two Used - No Others

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • One Used - No Others

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scan125

OTA TV signals and scanner signals are on different antenna systems. At home each is amplified and distributed as needed. When mobile, I have more than one antenna on my vehicle; one for each receiver.
Understand that TV vs typical scanner freqs. are different. Was using the TV type kit as an example. In and ideal world I would like a unit that is wideband from say 500kHz to 1GHz, two antenna inputs (up to 200MHz and 200MHz and over. I've not done much additional research on this.

As a side comment I'm into LW/MW/SW (30kHz to 35MHz) and Airband in the main (100MHz to 140MHz). My long wire antenna is absolutely brilliant at Airband when compared to my airband antenna so I essentially just run on the long wire when at base.

scannersnstuff

And I'm wondering how these people with multiple scanners in use at the same time get their signals? Via individual antennas, common antenna with/without splitter or a wide band TV like n output distribution box?
My old shack - Stridsberg 4 port multicoupler. My new place <not a shack per se>. My county scanner on a magnetic whip,not mounted to anything. My air scanner on a magnetic whip mounted to an indoor metal window frame. Does well at monitoring local airport and control tower. My other's,all on whip's. I am limited on antenna option's.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Depends on how you define "scanner." If you are talking straight up "scanners" then I have three (2 Uniden BCD536HPs...one at home next to a GRE PSR-800 and the the other at work on my desk). Now, if you're taking devices scanning Police, Fire, EMS, etc, well then, a few APX8000s, 8500, two 6000s, 6500, XTS5000, XTL5000, XPR5550e, Unication G5, about 7 dongles....

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Let's see if I can name them all off the top of my head-
GRE PSR-300
GRE PSR-400
Radioshack PRO-433
Uniden BCT15X (2)
Uniden 246T
Uniden 346XT
Uniden 436HP

8 total? I thought I had more 😂

Oh, and to answer the question, the 436, 246 and 346 all see regular use. The 15x twins and PSR-300 are used occasionally.

The 433 is on a workbench in my basement to keep me entertained while working on projects.

I haven't used the PSR-400 in years, but I might start using it more. Maybe sell off the 433 and put the 400 on the bench to replace it since it has alphatagging...or maybe piggyback them and keep both. We'll see

Last edited:

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
Back then I had older models, I had three radio shack versions before we had, then a digital version now. I used to have the Pro-95. Pro-97, the old GRE-500 that got digitized, then the WS-1040, then the BCD436HP upgraded then the original 436, too.

ind224

I had another Pro97 delivered yesterday. I need a "9 in use and about that in closet queens and parts" category but I voted top tier.

Tim-B

Well, numbers don't fit the poll, so here goes:
Icom IC-R30 X 2 - use at least one of them daily
Uniden BCD436HP X 2 - use one occasionally
Uniden BCD396XT X 2 - use them occasionally
Uniden BCD536HP - mounted under a desk shelf - runs 24/7
Radio Shack Pro-2067 - mounted under a desk shelf - runs 24/7
GRE PSR 500 - use occassionally
The radio shack version of the GRE PSR 500 - use occasionally
Uniden BC296D - use rarely
Uniden 246T - use rarely
Uniden BC100XL - old metal cased handheld - now dead but I keep it because it was my first scanner
Airspy receiver and SDR Sharp - use when I feel like sweeping the bands quickly for new stuff

and
An ever growing collection of commercial 2-way radios programmed for receive only to monitor various services except for when I use those radios for actual two-way in the course of my job when not working at home - I'm a self-employed independent contractor in a certain sector of the energy industry.

Last edited:

Scan125

My old shack - Stridsberg 4 port multicoupler. My new place <not a shack per se>. My county scanner on a magnetic whip,not mounted to anything. My air scanner on a magnetic whip mounted to an indoor metal window frame. Does well at monitoring local airport and control tower. My other's,all on whip's. I am limited on antenna option's.
BRILLIANT! Thank You!

These Stridsberg multicouplers look brilliant, but expesnsive! That said they have the 500kHz to 50MHx and 25MHz to 1GHz units which certainly cover my requirements.

TrainsOfThought

Land, waters, sky...an entire universe to monitor!
Premium Subscriber
14 total at the moment UNUSED but 7 of those "on deck" for my grand rural radio experiment/project once I get the first of several gain roof-top tripod antennas erected within the next 6-8 months. Chimney and tripod mounts being delivered presently and accumulating parts including Stridsberg multicouplers, rotator(s) etc.

3-RS Pro 2042
1-RS Pro-2035
1-Uniden BC895XLT
1-Uniden UBC9000XLT
6-RS Pro 2006
1-RS Pro 2037
1-RS Pro 2005...
AKA The Analog Underground

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
They are spread out in three rooms of the house and include two handheld scanners in a bag that go with me most everywhere I go. Several radios may be searching the federal government bands looking for new active freqs. while others are monitoring known active freqs. Others are monitoring ham simplex and repeater channels, GMRS, FRS, and various segments of aviation bands including military. Two are old crystal radios from the 1970s' that sit unused. There is a lot of activity on the airwaves and it's just not public safety. Some of what I monitor are distant channels from 100 miles away or more. It never ends.

Eng74

I use 5 at home most of the time but have about 35 total. There are a lot of older handhelds I don’t use much anymore. No I am not giving them up. I might need them. Lol

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
A lot.
  1. SDS100
  2. SDS200
  3. HomePatrol 2
  4. TRX-1 (Whistler)
  5. Raspberry Pi OP25
  6. DSD+ on Win 11 laptop
  7. Old Bearcat Analog only scanner.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
More than 10. I have a few old RS models, six Unidens, and 3 GRE's. On top of that like many here 7 hand helds for ham, DMR, UHF. Two Motorola mobiles and one Anytone mobile.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Sold as scanners i have 3:

SDS100
2XRS one is a PRO90 and i don't remember the model of the second one. Both are Trunktracker and the second one is a desktop model. I am not using these two.

Sold as wide band receiver but can scan:
R8600
R30
RSPDUO

All in use