How to "Discover" new P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Hello,

Hope this is in the correct forum location, if not, please move.

What I want to do is "discover" the P25 System using my 536HP and not program it from the database or sentinel.

The system is: Cortland County Public Safety

On that page it says it is a Simulcast site using the following freq.: 454.05000c 454.07500a 454.22500a 454.27500a 454.40000 454.50000 454.62500

This system has, according to the info given, 1 antenna site.

Now I know better as I have lived here all of my life and know of at least 2-4 other antenna sites they had.

But when I go to another location, digging into the FCC Database I find the following: WQSD862 (CORTLAND, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details Which shows all of the other sites and all of them are running on the 800 mHz system. Now before you say that it is for interop with adjoining agencies. I get that, but it is not in the database that is on here. Right now I am not hearing any interop with any other county when I know they were trying to reach them on a number of occasions.

What I want to do is have the scanner find them and try to create the correct database for Cortland County while improving what I am hearing. Sometimes I get everything and sometimes I get nothing, only what TG is supposedly talking and no audio. I'd say this is about a 90/10 percent variable and I have tried the tweaks others have done in the forum with minimal improvement. Now my 536 is connected to an outside antenna that was used at one point in it's life as a xmit antenna for UHF by the farm that I bought the house from. It sits on top of a telephone pole with RG8 coax coming inside.

Any help would be appreciated on how to go about this.
Thanks

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Hello,

What I want to do is "discover" the P25 System using my 536HP and not program it from the database or sentinel.

On that page it says it is a Simulcast site using the following freq.: 454.05000c 454.07500a 454.22500a 454.27500a 454.40000 454.50000 454.62500

Now I know better as I have lived here all of my life and know of at least 2-4 other antenna sites they had.

But when I go to another location, digging into the FCC Database I find the following: WQSD862 (CORTLAND, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details Which shows all of the other sites and all of them are running on the 800 mHz system. Now before you say that it is for interop with adjoining agencies. I get that, but it is not in the database that is on here. Right now I am not hearing any interop with any other county when I know they were trying to reach them on a number of occasions.

What I want to do is have the scanner find them and try to create the correct database for Cortland County while improving what I am hearing. Sometimes I get everything and sometimes I get nothing, only what TG is supposedly talking and no audio. I'd say this is about a 90/10 percent variable and I have tried the tweaks others have done in the forum with minimal improvement. Now my 536 is connected to an outside antenna that was used at one point in it's life as a xmit antenna for UHF by the farm that I bought the house from. It sits on top of a telephone pole with RG8 coax coming inside.

Thanks

My bold above seems to point to encryption.

As for doing a discovery, you will need to follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJc1eMVa0JA

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Dafe1er,

I don't believe it is encrypted as just after I see the one TG show up, say for City Police, I hear dispatch just after seeing the TG show up with no audio. And the screen shows P25 on it not what it would show for encrypted. So I just think it is the scanner not locking onto it quick enough or the transmission was quicker than what the scanner would catch and when the next person keyed up it was there so it came through. Have seen others with same problem here in the forums and have been trying the tricks to improve it. So far setting it to manual and a P25 level of 5 improved it. Will leave it there for awhile and see how it does. But while at work during the day when most activity is on it, I can't monitor it to see how it is doing.

Thanks for the link, but not sure if that is 100% to what I am looking for. I have done that using the information provided from the RR database, but what if you don't have a system? Is there a way to make a system by trying to search for it? Would the close call feature be what I am looking for instead?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thanks

It may have multiple sites, but being simulcast isn't that irrelevant?

I've never looked at how they describe simulcast sites - so not sure if it's common to do it that way.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
The channels are in the RR database and they are in the Sentinel database.
USA>NewYork>Cortland>Nationwide>InteroperabilityUSA>PublicSafetyCommon-800MHz

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Red,

Will try adding them tonight sometime and see what comes of it.

Phask. I don't exactly know for sure. It just seems awfully weird that they are trying to serve the whole county with 1 site when the whole reason for going to the trunked system in the first place was to get better reception to vehicles in areas where with the old system didn't go. Case in point had a fire chief say he couldn't hear fire control on his portable when he stood in front of the fire house and it is a clear shot to the main tower from the old system... They then drummed up this whole thing that they needed to spend 18 million to redo their radio system. Now they have a P25 digital system and now say that they need another million to update the software to the 911 center. Talk about whacky but it is... Anyways the whole reason behind me trying to find a new system, basically the 800 MHz one, is I thought, and yes thinking can get me into trouble, that the new system should of been in the 800 range not the 450 range that it is. But I am not sure how to go about searching for the control channel on the 536. But I will try adding the one system and see. I do know that there is others that I didn't look at as far as the call sign details. So will go back and check them all to make sure the systems are the same or to see what is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
The guys in my state forum are running some kind of program on the control channel a site, and it is showing the neighboring sites it is affiliated with. Cant find the post with the name of the program, but think it requires a tapped scanner to run it. Someone on here is probably familiar with it.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Red,

Will try adding them tonight sometime and see what comes of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should probably ask in the New York forum what frequencies are used by Cortland County for communicating with adjacent counties.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Another thing I have found, none of the control freq or any others listed for the P25 system do not show up in the FCC Database for Cortland (Zip 13045) I just went through all the records for Cortland County on the FCC website and found nothing close. Makes me wonder how the person who added the P25 information on the database here got the info.... Guess back to searching.....

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
What is the focus of this thread?
Uniden scanner tech support?
Cortland County frequencies?
RR database accuracy and completeness?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It is simulcast. It's not physically one site, but all the sites transmit on the same frequencies at the same time. It is a 100% UHF system for the trunked channels.
It sounds like you have having simulcast receive issues.
I believe at least some of the system channels are old part 22 channels. If so, no frequency specific license will be found.
E.g. http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3412096
If you monitor the control channel with a control channel decoder, you will see the list of system channels.

Last edited:

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Red - Sorry if I went in wrong direction in a tech support area on this, the whole basis of the main question when I started was how can I make a new system when say no control channel is known in my 536HP. Or do I need to go another route to get that info either with a SDR setup, tapping another scanner or even tapping my 536. If I can get everything in place and correct then I can, by living in the county, send correct information to the admins to either a) Correct the database or b) add new information to the database on RR for everyone.

Thunderknight - Ok, that sounds right as I know they have had multiple antenna sites for years. I was just puzzled as to why they only list one site in the database when there were multiple sites. Wanted to rule out the "location" based part of the 536 for receiving issues. For which I still can't wrap my head around that one.. Do I put 50 miles in for range or 0? LOL Either way it doesn't really do anything except I thought I should hear neighboring counties, but when I have them in and on, I get nothing so still out on that one. I have changed the P25 to manual and a level of 5 and it has reduced the missed transmissions to say 5% or so. Still get one now and then, but not like before.

Ghstwolf62 - Thanks for the info. I will look into that and see what I can find. Might have to get

Status
Not open for further replies.