IC-R15 - First Impressions

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
When Icom first announced the IC-R15, they said it was geared for air band & railroad enthusiasts as can be seen from the pics, and since these bands are analog, no need for digital modes.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.png
    2.png
    933.2 KB · Views: 10

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hey @krtz07 !

Ok, here is a comparison of the two radios on the same table using the same antenna (Icom FA-S270C). I did elevate the Icom on a couple books so the antenna base was at the same height as the Uniden.

I tried to match the volume of the two radios beforehand by opening the squelch on a frequency one MhZ up and adjusting until the sounded kind of the same.

This isn’t scientific or anything, just a hastily thrown together comparison.

Were they both set to NFM? I see the 436 is. Not sure how much of a difference it would make but NWR should be FM, not NFM.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When Icom first announced the IC-R15, they said it was geared for air band & railroad enthusiasts as can be seen from the pics, and since these bands are analog, no need for digital modes.
North American railroads are slowly moving towards NXDN on their current VHF channels, but it's a very, very slow process.

palmerjrusa

North American railroads are slowly moving towards NXDN on their current VHF channels, but it's a very, very slow process.

Indeed, there are a couple VHF NXDN RR channels in my area, though I've never detected any activity/traffic on either of them.

footage

Premium Subscriber
I received my R15 on Friday (from Moonraker in the UK). It's a neat radio, with an interface and functionality much like the ID-52, but a bit smaller and considerably lighter. Side-by-side comparison leads me to say that it's almost as sensitive a receiver as the ID-52, and certainly more sensitive than the R30. The stock antenna is excellent for VHF Air, less so for UHF. But when I try it with a SignalStick it overloads with noise. I can't get the VSC function (the voice-only squelch, that's supposed to filter out nonvoice channels) to work, not sure why. And I'm not yet certain about this, but I'm finding my Smiley antennas are not as well matched to the R15 as they are to the ID-52. But if you scan analog channels, this is a great little machine. It scans extremely fast, has good audio, and a pretty easy-to-learn menu-driven interface. Even though it doesn't transmit, I loaded in the CSV spreadsheet of my channel memories from the ID-52 and the R-15 started scanning them with no problem. In general, I'm pleased.

footage

Premium Subscriber
I received my R15 on Friday (from Moonraker in the UK). It's a neat radio, with an interface and functionality much like the ID-52, but a bit smaller and considerably lighter. Side-by-side comparison leads me to say that it's almost as sensitive a receiver as the ID-52, and certainly more sensitive than the R30. The stock antenna is excellent for VHF Air, less so for UHF. But when I try it with a SignalStick it overloads with noise. I can't get the VSC function (the voice-only squelch, that's supposed to filter out nonvoice channels) to work, not sure why. And I'm not yet certain about this, but I'm finding my Smiley antennas are not as well matched to the R15 as they are to the ID-52. But if you scan analog channels, this is a great little machine. It scans extremely fast, has good audio, and a pretty easy-to-learn menu-driven interface. Even though it doesn't transmit, I loaded in the CSV spreadsheet of my channel memories from the ID-52 and the R-15 started scanning them with no problem. In general, I'm pleased.
Actually, I have a request: could someone send me a copy of the memory channel file installed in the radio? I forgot to capture it and nuked it when I installed mine, and neither of the manuals shows the format of the .csv files for this model. Thank you.

palmerjrusa

"Side-by-side comparison leads me to say that it's almost as sensitive a receiver as the ID-52, and certainly more sensitive than the R30."

Have you carried out a direct comparison between the IC-R15 and the IC-R30 in the UHF military aviation region?

eorange

♦RF Damaged Member♦
The stock antenna is excellent for VHF Air, less so for UHF. But when I try it with a SignalStick it overloads with noise.
This is a little concerning. Was the overload on VHF or UHF, or both?

I use my Signal Sticks for both VHF and UHF airband and they do well on my R2/R6/R30.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
The Signal Sticks dual bander definitely improved my VHF airband reception as compared to the Icom FA-S270C which comes with the radio and is tuned for 144 - 148Mhz & 430 - 450Mhz. No noise or overload issues.

footage

Premium Subscriber
"Side-by-side comparison leads me to say that it's almost as sensitive a receiver as the ID-52, and certainly more sensitive than the R30."

Have you carried out a direct comparison between the IC-R15 and the IC-R30 in the UHF military aviation region?
Haven't yet done milair. I'm in San Francisco so monitoring milair without an antenna and filters is difficult. But will try.

krtz07

Feed Provider
I'll keep trying with the Sticks. In general they work really well for me, and I might have been hearing transient noise.
You mentioned is potentially more sensitive than the R30?

If possible could you compare the weakest weather radio frequency between R15 and R30?

I do remember the R30 let some more noise in but nothing which wasn't a deal breaker and it still has excellent selectivity and sensitivity compared to my ICOM V86. Even though I think the V86 suppressed noise a bit better!

palmerjrusa

I'll do a NOAA weather test.

As for the R30, I love the radio as everyone else seems to, but i have never found it as sensitive a receiver as the ID-52, even with exactly the same antenna setup.

That's interesting, I've done side by comparisons of my ID-52 vs. the IC-R30 on UHF (military aviation) and didn't detect any difference re sensitivity.

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
You mentioned is potentially more sensitive than the R30?

If possible could you compare the weakest weather radio frequency between R15 and R30?

I do remember the R30 let some more noise in but nothing which wasn't a deal breaker and it still has excellent selectivity and sensitivity compared to my ICOM V86. Even though I think the V86 suppressed noise a bit better!

Definitely interested in the R30 to R15 head-to-head on weak NOAA channels - that'll be the big indicator for rail buffs.

Can't say I ever did a head-to-head comparison between my R30 and V86, but I do agree with your general assessment. I tried a bunch of Icom single band 2m ham radios on railroad channels, and the V86 is definitely the best of the bunch. Both the R30 and the V86 beat out the R6 on railroad channels too.

I'd be really curious to see how they all hold up against the ID-52A on weak NOAA stuff, as some claim the ID-52A is even better than the R30 or R15.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I regret selling my 52a. Since both the 52a and R15 are real close in frequencies, and the 52a has more modes, will get another one if the 52a does in fact beat out the R15. They went up in price since I bought mine awhile back. Think around 100 bucks.