IC-R15 - First Impressions

bcradio

Database Admin
One thing I wish was possible would be to have a dark mode for the screen.

At night, it’s pretty bright.

Unless there is a way to do it that I just overlooked, sometimes I do that :)

footage

Premium Subscriber
The R15 has a "VSC" toggle in the Quick menu that supposedly inhibits nonvoice transmissions on scan. According to the menu diagrams in the manual, it's supposed to be active in both VFO and MR modes. But I cannot get it to toggle on in MR scan mode. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? It would be a great feature in scan if it worked as specified. Thanks!

krtz07

Feed Provider
The R15 has a "VSC" toggle in the Quick menu that supposedly inhibits nonvoice transmissions on scan. According to the menu diagrams in the manual, it's supposed to be active in both VFO and MR modes. But I cannot get it to toggle on in MR scan mode. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? It would be a great feature in scan if it worked as specified. Thanks!
IIRC - the R30 was like this. You can probably see if there is an option to save the frequency with VSC enabled and see if that works in MR mode. Yeah it is annoying.

krtz07

Feed Provider
Definitely interested in the R30 to R15 head-to-head on weak NOAA channels - that'll be the big indicator for rail buffs.

Can't say I ever did a head-to-head comparison between my R30 and V86, but I do agree with your general assessment. I tried a bunch of Icom single band 2m ham radios on railroad channels, and the V86 is definitely the best of the bunch. Both the R30 and the V86 beat out the R6 on railroad channels too.

I'd be really curious to see how they all hold up against the ID-52A on weak NOAA stuff, as some claim the ID-52A is even better than the R30 or R15.
I had and the results were interesting. I monitored the railroads as I do railroad photography.

In sensitivity I favored the R30 but that could been the direct result of the automatic squelch feature it has. I do recall the V86 letting one weaker transmission in where I can hear with the maintenance worker was saying and all I heard on the R30 was white noise - didn't hear the RR worker. However on different occasions, it would out receive the V86. They will both let NWS and Pagers interfere with the bands - no comparison there. The only radio I have which it doesn't have is the Kenwood th-20a.

Anyways On the R30 - I could attunate the signal down to the point that put the bands more "in line" making it less suspectable to overloading.

I loved the R30 because of the Bluetooth functionality it has and easy to read screen.

Klaus_Bernd

IC-R15 Auto-Memory Write Issue

Hello all,
got my R15 a few days ago. Great reception quality and crisp audio, much better than my previous Bearcat. However, I ran into an issue and wonder if anyone has the same problem or managed to solve it.
The auto-memory write mode for VFO scan to automatically store any received frequencies in the Auto Memory Write channel group (p. 21 of the Basic Manual) works very fine. HOWever, when I later change to MR mode, select the Auto Memory channel group and try to scan the stored frequencies of thsi group, the receiver just doesn't do any scan at all (unlike to scan any manually stored frequencies in other channel groups). No joy at all.
To solve this issue, I wanted to copy all automatically stored frequencies from the Auto Memory Write channel to a user-created group or any otehr group and make a MR scan from there. However, I cannot copy the whole Auto Memory write channel to another group as a whole. Only if I enter the Auto Memory write channel, I can select one frequency/channel after the other, one by one, and copy each memeory item manually into another group. Thsi is very laborius and not what could be expected.
Did anyone experience the same problem and found a solution, or am I just missing something? Or is there a firmware update available?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
73,s
Klaus

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
Received my R15 yesterday. I’m primarily a railroad listener, so I did a few head-to-head tests on NOAA channels against the R30, V86, and a Kenwood NX-5200. All radios were using Smiley 5/8 Slim Duck 160 MHz antennas.

All of these radios performed quite well on weak NOAA stations. In terms of audio quality, the NX-5200 takes the crown (not surprisingly), although the R30 is a close second. The R15’s audio is plenty loud, but also static-filled, given that it’s a purely analog receiver unlike the other 3.

For the absolute weakest signals I could find, the R30 wins - it could pull in the signal and actually have it be intelligible on Receiver A (didn’t try the R30’s Receiver B for this test). On the R15, it was rough, but somewhat intelligible on Receiver A, and broke squelch but wasn’t understandable at all on Receiver B. Didn’t break squelch on the V86 or the NX-5200, however the NX-5200 was receiving it (roughly) when opening the squelch all the way up - it’s a little tight by default.

Very quick & unscientific test, but it seems to indicate that while the R15 is close, it’s not going to unseat the R30 from the top.

palmerjrusa

Received my R15 yesterday. I’m primarily a railroad listener, so I did a few head-to-head tests on NOAA channels against the R30, V86, and a Kenwood NX-5200. All radios were using Smiley 5/8 Slim Duck 160 MHz antennas.

All of these radios performed quite well on weak NOAA stations. In terms of audio quality, the NX-5200 takes the crown (not surprisingly), although the R30 is a close second. The R15’s audio is plenty loud, but also static-filled, given that it’s a purely analog receiver unlike the other 3.

For the absolute weakest signals I could find, the R30 wins - it could pull in the signal and actually have it be intelligible on Receiver A (didn’t try the R30’s Receiver B for this test). On the R15, it was rough, but somewhat intelligible on Receiver A, and broke squelch but wasn’t understandable at all on Receiver B. Didn’t break squelch on the V86 or the NX-5200, however the NX-5200 was receiving it (roughly) when opening the squelch all the way up - it’s a little tight by default.

Very quick & unscientific test, but it seems to indicate that while the R15 is close, it’s not going to unseat the R30 from the top.

Thanks for the update re the IC-R15.

Not even a price yet on HRO...

krtz07

Feed Provider

I know the V86 is probably the most sensitive affordable radio that I would recommend to rail enthusiasts. I guess the comment regarding the R15 having more hiss and static is a little discerning.

Did you use the auto squelch setting on R15?

I guess it really comes down - do you recommend the R15 for rail monitoring?

Personally wished this was more so $325 or so I think $449, At least what was seen this far in Europe is a bit high for just a conventional analog receiver.

palmerjrusa

The listing on ACS was updated on 04-June to read: "Release delayed until late July - early August 2024"

That would correlate what some indicted was coming out of Japan. And most certainly limited quantities like those seen in European listings.

I've preordered the IC-R15 at HRO.

Just gotta have patience I guess...

KB2GOM

Just received the IC-R15 4 days ago and have had the chance to use it a bit. I'll give you my first impressions below, but first will let you know a bit of my radio backgroud.

The first scanner I bought was the Radio Shack Pro-90 way back in the day, so I've been at this for a while now. I've owned mostly Uniden scanners, with the occasional GRE thrown in there, too. I also have owned an Icom IC-R2 for going on 20 years, so I am familiar with the ICOM brand just a bit.

My interests were always Air Band (Civil and Military) and public safety, so these radios suited my well for most of my scanning life. Public safety systems in my area recently went 100% encrypted, so I started looking for other things to listen to, so have now the DMR/NXDN upgrades on my Unidens, which as been interesting.

When I first learned of the Icom IC-R15 I was immediately interested. I thought that getting one would up my airband game. I love my IC-R2 to death, but it is showing it’s age in terms of scan speed, and I have gotten used to alpha tags 😉

The fast scan speed, the dual receive circuits and the recording options of the IC-R15 intrigued me, and the more I read about it, the more interested in it I became.

As airshow season is already upon us, I wanted to have this radio in-hand for it, but the North American launch seems to be far behind the Japanese/European one, June-July now according to the latest info from Icom.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Europe (MhZOutdoor in Italy). It arrived 4 days after ordering, which was nice. Shipping was reasonable (30 something US dollars) and import duties were equivalent to the sales tax I would have paid otherwise. Make sure when you order from Europe that they are not applying VAT to the price. There was no issue with MhzOutdoors at all, but I have read accounts of Noth American buyers from other stores in Europe unintentionally paying the VAT tax, even though it didn’t apply to them.

Yes, I wanted this radio and I wanted it for an upcoming airshow, so I ordered from Europe despite the possibility of hassles if ever I need any warranty/recall work done on it. Be aware if you’re ordering from outside your sales region that this might become a problem for you if ever a warranty/repair issue arises.

I pre-purchased the Butel ARC-15 software so I would be ready to go off the bat, as programming a radio like this by hand looked daunting. Turns out, it is. Glad I bought it.

The Butel software currently seems to be good for entering frequencies and alpha tags, tagging the groups and banks. It doesn’t seem to offer any settings for the radio itself, such as backlight timer, record durations, or linking groups/scan edges. I may be daft and may have overlooked the feature in the software, and if so, I apologize.

OK, so I got the scanner the other day and it was packaged very nicely. Included are the radio, antenna, battery, USB-C cord, belt clip and a lanyard. Assorted manuals and the usual warranty stuff, which likely doesn’t apply to me.

The belt clip clips on solidly, and reminds me of some of the professional DMR radios that I’ve used in the past. It isn’t the super strong polymer from the Motorolas, but also this radio is pretty light. I think it’ll be just fine.

The radio is solidly built, and fits in my hand perfectly. The buttons seem to be high quality, and the middle 4-way switch clicks nicely on press. I do find the 4-way switch to be on the small size for my big, fat hotdog fingers/thumbs, but I think that might be a me-thing. Also, they need to make the keypad small because the radio is small. Not a big deal, I think I just need more practice.

Charged up the battery and turned it on. I was first struck by how clear and crisp the display was. It reminded me of some of the professional Motorola radios I’ve seen, white background and clear, crisp text. Very nice.

I played with it a bit, then decided to upload my Butel file to it. This turned out to be more complex than I was anticipating, but I think it comes down to the fact it’s a new system to me. I’ll write more about it later, but even I figured it out after about 10 minutes or so.

OK, local airband frequencies loaded in and let’s give it a go!

It scans like a dream. It’s fast, it’s sensitive and the audio is clear and crisp. It receives signals my BCD436HP is deaf to, so that is a nice thing. I expected that, of course, as my Icom IC-R2 also is very sensitive in the air band, too.

The dual watch feature is great, too, as you can have two different frequencies/groups/linked groups/bands scanning/searching at the same time. The radio steps through these very quickly, too. So, so quickly. Compared to my IC-R2, this is going from an Oxcart to the A-12 😉 (avgeek joke).

I like it with the dual watch, I can scan one group and do basically a VFO search on the other. I can also set up recording and record both do different files, simultaneously, so I can go back and see what I’ve found.

When both receive circuits are active on a transmission, it is like listening to two different speakers at once, but coming out of once source. I need to turn my brain on a bit higher power setting and concentrate a bit harder, but it can be done. I think I just need a bit of practice. You can record each to separate audio files if you need to go back and listen a bit harder.

The volume setting is one setting for the whole radio. Not sure if it could be possible, but separate volume settings for each receive circuit would be handy. (Might not be possible with just one speaker, but could be nice. Or have one circuit go out on left channel, one on the right if you have stereo speakers/headphones).

Having said all this about the dual watch, you don’t have to have two going at the same time. You can just do one, to keep things simpler if you want/need it to be.

OK, I’ve raved about it enough, now for the potential drawbacks.

I am getting a bit of spurious noise, just a bit, sometimes when I have the radio on my office desk near my computer and the stock antenna attached. It manifests itself occasionally on the airband, after a radio transmission is received, the squelch doesn’t seem to close completely, with a few seconds of noise. This doesn’t happen often (maybe 1 in every 10 tx), and goes away if I move the scanner from my desk just a few feet away. Computer off, no problem. I suspect there is something making noise inside my case or monitor that is emitting some RF interference that my scanner is having issues with.

I’ll experiment a bit with this, maybe add some shielding to the computer case.

Again, not a gamebreaker for me, as I know I have a cheap/old machine and the interference goes away with the radio 5 feet or more away. Just one of the things I noticed. Outside the office and/or outside of the house it’s no problem. I have a cluster of cellular transmitters about 300ft from my place, and I can’t detect any interference on this radio. I think its selectivity is pretty good.

The battery pack included is nice, and seems to last a long time. I had it out constantly scanning yesterday for about 7 hours and it only went from 100% down to 81%. Not bad at all! Now, it is a factory fresh battery, and this will likely go down as time goes on.

Extra batteries are pretty expensive, and so is the optional AA battery adapter thing, so if you want an extra battery, you’re looking at about 100 bucks or so. I will likely get an extra for those “just in case” moments, as I like having backups. But the included battery will likely last you for an entire airshow, the drive there and the drive back. At least for now.

Yes, it only goes up to 500mhz and doesn’t do DMR/NXDN/Tetra. That’s true. For me, not a big deal as my primary focus is civil and military air band and marine VHF. I have other radios that do those digital modes, and I’m fine with that.

I think that adding digital modes or higher frequency ranges had the potential to compromise the quality of the areas I am interested in. So, I’m ok with that.

But that’s all the negatives I have with this radio so far.

And that’s also pretty much all I have to say for the moment. I’ve only had it in-hand a couple days, but those are my first impressions. Colour me amazed, I’m very happy that I bought it.

If you are in North America and have more patience/impulse control than me, I’d say wait for it to become available here. But if you want the radio in-hand now, and are aware of “potential” drawbacks in terms of warranty, then go ahead and pull the trigger. I can say my experience buying from MHz Outdoor was great.

I hope this helps anyone who is curious about the IC-R15.

View attachment 162290
Thank you for the well-written and helpful report. I am "officially" tempted.

Cheers, Jock

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
I know the V86 is probably the most sensitive affordable radio that I would recommend to rail enthusiasts. I guess the comment regarding the R15 having more hiss and static is a little discerning.
I'm going to see if I can get some actual audio samples this weekend so that everyone can compare for themselves. I do have a Stridsberg multicoupler that I've been meaning to install, would certainly make for the fairest possible comparison to run them through the same antenna receiving the same transmission.

I do agree that the V86 is probably the best of the affordable single band amateur radios for railfan use. The V80 and the R6 didn't hold up against it.
Did you use the auto squelch setting on R15?
Haven't gotten that far with it yet, just a few minutes here & there after work thus far this week.
I guess it really comes down - do you recommend the R15 for rail monitoring?
I like it so far, but I need to do some more in-depth testing before I can firmly say whether or not I'd recommend it. I can definitely recommend the R30, but the whole point of this review is to see if the R15 can take over in the railfan role in the R30's absence.
Personally wished this was more so $325 or so I think $449, At least what was seen this far in Europe is a bit high for just a conventional analog receiver.
Are there really any comparable amateur radios that have the amount of tech & features in them that the R15 does, but are also analog only? Yes, the price is up there for analog-only, but the digital modes and all of the extra features usually go hand-in-hand, so it makes sense that the price would still be somewhat elevated given everything it brings to the table.

a727469

I know I will probably take some heat for this but, as stated by me at the beginning of this thread, I am still trying to come up with a rational reason for me to spend $450 on what appears to be a limited use radio. I realize it has other features but most for me are just “nice to haves” I understand others would not agree and would need them. ….. Again, I do some air and some rail but my uniden bcd325, my old icom v80 and especially my Baofeng UV-17R PLUS handle this and much more. Are these all great radios? No, but certainly more than adequate for me in this hobby. For those not familiar with it, the uv-17r plus is quite unique since it covers regular and uhf air frequencies. I know, it‘s Chinese, but it really does work. Also, it is a regular 2 meter/440 transceiver… I paid $32 for mine! I just saved $418!, Baofeng UV-17R PLUS | Multi-Band | Airband | 5W | NOAA | Wireless Frequency Copy | 2500MAH USB-C Battery.

Again, everyone has their preferences and I truly respect those who choose the r15 since you must take air and rail very seriously but as I stated elsewhere,I love and have owned many Icoms, but I really feel this r15 has a limited market.

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
I know I will probably take some heat for this but, as stated by me at the beginning of this thread, I am still trying to come up with a rational reason for me to spend $450 on what appears to be a limited use radio. I realize it has other features but most for me are just “nice to haves” I understand others would not agree and would need them. ….. Again, I do some air and some rail but my uniden bcd325, my old icom v80 and especially my Baofeng UV-17R PLUS handle this and much more. Are these all great radios? No, but certainly more than adequate for me in this hobby. For those not familiar with it, the uv-17r plus is quite unique since it covers regular and uhf air frequencies. I know, it‘s Chinese, but it really does work. Also, it is a regular 2 meter/440 transceiver… I paid $32 for mine! I just saved $418!, Baofeng UV-17R PLUS | Multi-Band | Airband | 5W | NOAA | Wireless Frequency Copy | 2500MAH USB-C Battery.

Again, everyone has their preferences and I truly respect those who choose the r15 since you must take air and rail very seriously but as I stated elsewhere,I love and have owned many Icoms, but I really feel this r15 has a limited market.
The superior reception to any of the aforementioned scanners & transceivers, dual receivers, fast scan rate, and ability to record & play back from a microSD card are all reasons to love the R15. These forums and numerous railfan groups receive posts every day from railfans asking how to upgrade from their basic Uniden scanner. 2m transceivers are a logical step up, but the Icom R30 proved to be tremendous on railroad frequencies and was gaining popularity in that role until its discontinuation. With the R15 being introduced at a lower price point with those same attractive features from the R30, I suspect it will carve out a nice fan base in the railfan community.

No, it doesn't have digital modes, but the move to NXDN has allegedly been coming since 2008, and so far its mainline use is basically non-existent.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I agree with your analysis a727469, there is always something for somebody who can, and is willing to pay for it. I am glad I paid $495 for the Icom IC-R15. Being a dedicated VHF airband fanatic, and I don't scan anything else, this limited use receiver is the "Cats Meow"...

IK2GNP

Can anyone explain what is intended for "railway bands"?
Here in Europe, all railway communications are made via a proprietary GSM network in the 900MHz band, and I don't believe that it can be received with any scanner or receiver, neither a receiver able to decode digital modes. Please correct me if I wrong.
What is the situation in the USA? Maybe you have such old analog trasmission type? Thanks.

palmerjrusa

Can anyone explain what is intended for "railway bands"?
Here in Europe, all railway communications are made via a proprietary GSM network in the 900MHz band, and I don't believe that it can be received with any scanner or receiver, neither a receiver able to decode digital modes. Please correct me if I wrong.
What is the situation in the USA? Maybe you have such old analog trasmission type? Thanks.

Analog FM, supposed to be transitioning to digital NXDN (eventually)...